• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AT4 vs ball powder?

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Anyone here gotten this to work? AutoTrickler v4 vs. ball powder (2000MR)?

I was under the impression that the new dispenser design was supposed to work with ball powders, but mine is locked up tighter than a drum. And yes, it has worked just fine with 'normal' short to medium cut extruded powders.

Reactions: Rover31
    Interesting.

I'd cleaned the AR Comp I'd been playing with out, and filled it up with 2000 MR and hit 'calibrate'. Took it a while, but seemed to get through it okay. Then when I went to dispense a charge... the big tube was all fuckered up (technical term). Wouldn't turn under motor power, and the small tube was doing all the work. Tried turning the big tube by hand (I've encountered one or two times with bigger stick powders where it'd get something stuck and bind up)... about all that did was make things worse, as it seemed to get tighter and tighter.

Reached out to the folks @ AutoTrickler, but nothing so far.

In the mean time, I dusted off the old Harrell's Custom 90 and used that (y) That's probably plenty accurate for this use case... but I'll admit I got lazy / used to being able to punch in the charge weight increments and have it just happen ;)

Interesting.

I'd cleaned the AR Comp I'd been playing with out, and filled it up with 2000 MR and hit 'calibrate'. Took it a while, but seemed to get through it okay. Then when I went to dispense a charge... the big tube was all fuckered up (technical term). Wouldn't turn under motor power, and the small tube was doing all the work. Tried turning the big tube by hand (I've encountered one or two times with bigger stick powders where it'd get something stuck and bind up)... about all that did was make things worse, as it seemed to get tighter and tighter.

Reached out to the folks @ AutoTrickler, but nothing so far.

In the mean time, I dusted off the old Harrell's Custom 90 and used that (y) That's probably plenty accurate for this use case... but I'll admit I got lazy / used to being able to punch in the charge weight increments and have it just happen ;)
    When you get hold of Adam, explain to him how you are clearing the machine and where the problem comes in to see if your clearing method has something to do with this. It might be that it is how you are clearing the machine, or it may be something else. He will have a better idea.

I'm used to dealing with instruments and mechanisms so I am always protective of the moving gaps (and the scale) to be sure I don't get particles in places that take work to clear. Powder coatings can make dust, but that dust resembles graphite dry lubricant powder and isn't likely what is hitting you.

Like many other production QC problems, sometimes a clearance problem slips through and can allow a powder kernel to be ingested where it may cause a problem. Adam knows his designs well enough to guide you through a troubleshooting to determine if there is a defect or procedure issue.

Good Luck.

I get more overthrows with A1680 than Leverevolution. Haven’t tried 2000 or others. There’s some tips that are supposed to help. I have them but haven’t tried them yet. @Drhorsepower

The RCBS Match Master kicks ass with ball powder. I've loaded ~2500rds with one using Sta-Ball 6.5 (~10sec drops, very few under/overs).

Especially if you qualify for the RCBS LEO/Mil discount, you'd be crazy to overlook it for that price.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a SuperTrickler (which is what many AT4 users have moved to), but the Match Master gets it done, to the kernel with stick stuff and to +/- 0.02gn with ball stuff, no drama.

This video is with the stock/default settings before I got it dialed (much faster now):

Last edited:
    I use an ATv4 all the time with ball powder (mostly TAC), no issues, almost never any overthrows either. Works awesome.

Reactions: memilanuk
    FWIW mine is one of the early pre-order units... and then it sat on the bench for a while (months) before I got around to setting it up and selling the AT3 with all the 419 bling. Like I said, up until this I've been entirely satisfied with the AT4 for what I want/need.

I did hear back from Adam... sounds like there were some tolerance stacking issues, specifically with the large tube on the early units. Apparently it resulted in a redesign of the manufacture of that particular piece... which is on its way to me, along with return shipping for the old part. I'll post further updates once I have it installed.

I'm using Tac, TiteGroup, H335, Longshot, A2520, and A#7 all without issues. Other than leaving TiteGroup in the hopper for 2 months while traveling for work. Don't do that. It will eat into the plastic tube and etch the surface causing other powders to stick
    I think replacements are something like $20. I ordered a couple extra from Adam because I hate pouring powder back into the jugs. I use velcro to keep the lids on, and a couple of Blanton whiskey bags to cover them up when not in use.

It's pretty dry here, so I don't worry about humidity.

Reactions: reubenski