• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATACR 4-16, 7-35 vs. NX8 4-32

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
Price aside what is the preferred scope(s) for my use case?

I'm going to first slap it on a 22lr to shoot paper at 50 and 100 yards and doing tiny holes; potentially using it for 22lr to shoot tiny targets at 150-300 yards.

It'll move over to a 223 or 308 rifle at some point in its life that'll shoot 500-800.

I'd be all over the 5-25 ATACR but mil discount is not available for the model unfortunately.

Other final option is to do the 7-35 but that's a $1,000+ price point comparatively and not sure I'd be able to make much out of a F1 reticle at 10-12 power nor do I need a full 35 power on the high end?

Reactions: CSTactical
No experience with the others but I just purchased my first NF 7-35 scope a couple months ago and am very satisfied. I know a lot of people use them for 22LR to get really close on those targets plus the 10yd parallax, I can say that the parallax on my particular scope is very forgiving. I shoot 6.5 and 6 CM out to 1300yds and everything in between, I still don’t go higher than 25x but it is nice to have the extra magnification to spot or verify targets/impacts. I can say that at 12x the reticle (MilXT) seems usable to me but am always on the 15-25x range.

Price aside what is the preferred scope(s) for my use case?

I'm going to first slap it on a 22lr to shoot paper at 50 and 100 yards and doing tiny holes; potentially using it for 22lr to shoot tiny targets at 150-300 yards.

It'll move over to a 223 or 308 rifle at some point in its life that'll shoot 500-800.

I'd be all over the 5-25 ATACR but mil discount is not available for the model unfortunately.

Other final option is to do the 7-35 but that's a $1,000+ price point comparatively and not sure I'd be able to make much out of a F1 reticle at 10-12 power nor do I need a full 35 power on the high end?

Another option is the 4-20 ATACR, give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we can see what we can do for you ;)

I had both scopes (7-35 ATACR & 4-32 NX8) side by side and was able to look at a grain silo about 1 1/2 mile away. I was super disappointed in the ATACR. The ATACR just cut through the mirage as good as the NX8. Three different people said the same exact thing. Sold my ATACR and went with tangent theta for ELR. I pulled the trigger on a NX8 for my hunting rifle. Just my two cents and a very small sample size.

I had both scopes (7-35 ATACR & 4-32 NX8) side by side and was able to look at a grain silo about 1 1/2 mile away. I was super disappointed in the ATACR. The ATACR just cut through the mirage as good as the NX8. Three different people said the same exact thing. Sold my ATACR and went with tangent theta for ELR. I pulled the trigger on a NX8 for my hunting rifle. Just my two cents and a very small sample size.

So you were disappointed the ATACR was as bad as your NX8 or that the NX8 was as good as an ATACR?

I really like the ATACR. But I’m not an optic snob like some. I just want my optics to work when they need to work. So for me reliability is top priority which NF does very well

For my .22 (B14R) I have a older Sightron SIII on it

Take a look at the Burris XTRIII or PRO as well

Scrap the 4-16 if tiny groups are your goal. I’ve owned a couple 4-16 atacr and they are excellent optics for gas guns or inside 500 yard hunting rifles. But tiny group shooting at longer range is better handled by the higher power optics

For your use the NX8 will likely serve you well. @TangoSierra916 can likely help out here as he’s owned/sold/owned and sold again just about all of them 😎

If you want a tiny group shooter and just plan to range shoot the NF comp 15-55 is excellent. I have one on my 284 fclass gun and it does its job very well

Reactions: TangoSierra916
Had the 7-35 for quite some time - mil-xt reticle which I love.

Despite having all that power, during matches I rarely dial past 20, most of the time i keep it 12-15.

I did notice the mirage, and the parallax #s are kinda useless. The rotating ocular didn't bother me as some would say it bothered them
Other than that, solid glass.
Moved to Zco just because wanted to try something else.
Would not hesitate to go back to ATACR.
I have the NX8 on my other V22 - still great glass

As @hafejd30 said I’ve had a few ATACRs and still do lol. For the 22lr use I’d 100% go 7-35 atacr for the higher mag and excellent close range parallax. In my opinion the 7-35 atacr is the best all around scope on the market. Maybe not the best in every category but I think it’s very nice. I’m also not an optics scientist but I’ve used enough of them (and other high end scopes) to really trust them and learn my eyes like the color/contrast/etc and overall function of the scope. If the 7-35 is out of the price range I’d go 4-20 atacr then 4-32 nx8. Both the 4-20 and 4-32 offer great parallax adjustment too.

Glass wise the atacr series used all ED glass and the nx8 used some ED. Both offer solid images in my opinion, but really is up to everyone’s eyes and preferences.

Hope that helps, any questions let me know.

As mentioned, the extra magnification is nice for your tiny target 22 applications. That said, it’s easy to get carried away with magnification. Depending on how soon you plan to move it to 223/308 for 500-800 applications, you may not need too much. 16 power is ample for that range/caliber. Not to mention you could be saving considerable weight compared to the 7-35 ATACR. You’ll definitely be able to tell the difference on the long hunt. Maybe I’m a little biased. The 4-16 atacr has been my go to for a few years now

Reactions: Brym427
I used the 5-25x for years and still have them at work on a couple guns; they are fine but if rather have the 7-35x or 4-16x in the ATACR line. The 7-35x is the best all around scope on the market and is my top choice for most anything at work or in competition. The 4-16x was my top choice for any mid-range work but the NX8 has really begun to fill that gap for me.The 4-16x doesn't focus close enough for some of my rimfire needs and the 7-35x is like a Harley hauling firewood on any rimfire short of a Vudoo/Rim-X that exactly matches a match rifle. Same can be said for the 7-35x on most hunting rifles. At this point my rimfire and hunting rifles wear NX8 4-32x for length, weight, close focus/parallax, and generally good optical performance.

In my personal experience, the eye box on the NX8 was very tight vs the 7-35 ATACR. The 7-35 eye box was very forgiving. Just a personal observation.

I’ve used the 7-35 on a .22 build and while it may seem like overkill, it was very useful through the mag range.

Buy once cry once I guess; going to go 7-35 and keep it forever.

Reactions: Modoc
The 4-16 does not tunnel (I can double check in the morning).

I like my 4-16 more than my 7-35 in some ways.

The 4-16 has less CA, better contrast, more vibrant colors, better depth of field.

The 7-35 has a larger image, wider FOV and a brighter image and tunnels from 7-8.5 ish and can focus closer.

Build quality is the same. Resolution is the same (even at 16x). Turrets are similar quality, but different operationally.

The 4-16x42 is equal quality to the 7-35, the 4-16 seems like a bargain given similar quality, but dissimilar price. If you really need the features of the 7-35, then you have to pay the premium.