• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR 5-25/7-35 vs Mark 5HD vs Razor HD

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to sort out an optic for my MRAD - with T3 reticle. I have a Razor HD en route which i picked up for $2100 but now thinking there are better routes.

The Mark 5HD is only a little more for the 5-25 variation, with the ATACR 5-25 another step up and 7-35 leading the pack.

Is it worth the extra coin for the other offerings? Most shooting will be 500-1300 yards.
I know this has been beaten to death so appreciate any advice

Eyebox of the razor was better than the mark 5 to me. If you wanna step up to nf, just go zco. Best thing to do is RO a match and ask to look through competitors setup.

Or just go tasco.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

What country are you in? If the US then $2100 for the Razor II is more than you should have spent. You can find them new in the $1600-1800 range pretty easy. As mentioned though the eye box is great on the Razor II. Very easy to get behind. For the ranges you mentioned it will be no problem. Have used mine on a couple rifles to hit to a mile.

What's the main use for the rifle?

Target shooting/long range plinking. I wanted the Tremor 3 Reticle which usually runs a lot more

the glass in the Razor is better than the NF, I wouldn't trust the MK5 based on my past experience with them
I was pretty disappointed in the 1 35x NF I have shot too, I expected... better? IM not a big razor fan but of the 3 thats where I would go with liberty optics.

Reactions: Adam B
Target shooting/long range plinking. I wanted the Tremor 3 Reticle which usually runs a lot more

Yup sorry missed the Horus part. Yeah they stick you more for licensing fees. Honestly never been a fan. The 7C in the Razor will do everything you need but it’s your money and choice.

Reactions: Adam B
I actually own and use all 3 of the scopes you asked about. I have a Leupold Mark 5 HD 5x25, 3 Vortex 4.5x27 Gen ll Razors, and a ATACR 7x35 F1. They are all nice scopes. I would personally put the Mark 5 a full step behind the Razors for glass and functionality, and the ATACR a half a step above. In my experience I'd agree pretty hard to beat the Razor without spending alot more.

I have a lot of high end glass and have looked through just about everything out there now, Vortex Razors are in the same ballpark as NF (depends on exact model), and Leopold is a step below in most cases. If you want to do better in tactical-oriented scopes, you're talking S&B, then a step above is ZCO and TT. There's a large price bump to have something notably better than Vortex; there's a reason they are so popular. PS - don't look through ZCO/TT scopes. You or your wallet will regret it.

the glass in the Razor is better than the NF, I wouldn't trust the MK5 based on my past experience with them

I am going to disagree. From my experience the NF wins in optics and US Army chose the NF as the scope to pair with the MRAD Mk22.

Reasonable people can have their opinions on glass. All three are too quality. Razor and ATACR have a slight edge in optical technicals over Mk5, and Mk5 is usually not illuminated, so when you add the cost of illumination, you are approaching NF price.

Leupold suffers from a lack of illuminated reticles. The most popular is the illuminated TMR, which is a little more basic than the Mil-CT or EBR.

Clearly Razor wins on price.

MRAD can be brutal on recoil, depending upon caliber, and Leupold and NF are built to withstand the recoil and tactical battle environment. Our experience is Vortex is a little less tolerant than Leupold or NF has in the field, unless you are just doing benchrest.

I would strongly recommend the ATACR 7-35 if you need that range. Otherwise, pick your reticle and grab the Mk5 or ATACR 7-25. NF just wins with reticles usually over Leupold.

One guys opinion. We do a lot of pairing of MRAD with NF.

Reactions: dollarrbill