• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR questions

Shayne Ward

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2021
Ft. Worth
I have owned every scope out there except a Tangent and I went back to NF. I have 4 7x35s and I love them. I have had both 2.5-20 and 4-32 NX8 also. I have also had a 4-20 ATACR and was not a fan at all…. I have started shooting some NRL Hunter stuff and used a 7-35 on 10 power for the entire match. My question is this…. If I wanted to drop some weight should I look into the 4-16 ATACR or just settle with a NX8? I hated the tunneling of the 4-20 and wondered if the 4-16 had that same issue? Thanks in advance!

Thats some good insight into the 4-20 ATACR. I have looked at that optic as an option several times for other rifles and wondered if you traded anything off for that extra 4x over the 4-16. I have to agree with @1911hombre that the 4-16x42 is one they really knocked out of the park. I would get it again before a 2.5-20 NX8 anyday.

The question between a 4-32 NX8 and 4-16 ATACR comes down if you think you need the higher top end vs more forgiving low end/slightly better FoV.

Reactions: Shayne Ward
Let's all just give into vanity and admit the baby atacr looks super badass on a hybrid hunting style rifle. My fave.

Edit to add - I also like < 50mm objective as I can get a hunting optic lower without seeing the silencer on low power.

If you want to stick with NF, and need to keep it NRL hunter weight compliant, I would look to grab one of the 4-16x50 . They come in around 33oz or the 4-20 at 35 OZ.

If you really need to shave the weight to meet class, the 4-16x42 is a decent option too. That will shave another 3 or 5 oz off, respectively.

I have not been impressed by the NX8 Ive looked through and shot. FOV, IQ, color saturation, DOF all suffer greatly. If feels like a $1500 scope, unlike the ATACR that feels like a $2500 scope. I would take a Burris XTR3 over the NX8 anyday and save the cash honestly. If money is not an object a 4-20 ZCO or a 3-15 TT would be really hard to beat IMO. The IQ of both is spectacular and after shooting a NRL hunter match in the rain and fog, I would not want anything less to be honest.

The 4-16x42 doesn’t tunnel at all and is an awesome little optic, I had a few of them. No idea about the 4-16x50 as I’ve never used one.

If 10x is all you need and you need to drop weight why not just go with a NXS 2.5-10x42? I have one and it’s tits and weighs a whopping 20.5oz. .5lbs less than a NX8 and 9.5oz less than a 4-16x42 ATACR.

My next optic will be a NX8 4-32. It tunnels a little bit from 4-4.5x and over 25x the eyebox got tight on the one I sampled, but it didn’t suffer from the parralax issues like the 2.5-20. I was actually very impressed by it for its price point.

The 4-16 X 42 I had was my favorite design of the NF ATACR line. Loved the low profile/locking elevation turret. I now have the 4-20 and 7-35. I swapped from MOA to MIL so I had to get a different optic and went with the 4-20 in its place. For what I do (primarily crop damage hunting) it works very well. But being honest it’s a 5.5-20 with the tunneling

My opinion is if you want or need the compact design of the 4-16 then it’s a great option. Especially for a hunting optic or gas gun.

Otherwise for my uses I’ll skip the 4-20 and 5-25 and go for another 7-35 in my future. Or try a ZCO

Haven’t used an NX8 so can’t comment there

If you want to stick with NF, and need to keep it NRL hunter weight compliant, I would look to grab one of the 4-16x50 . They come in around 33oz or the 4-20 at 35 OZ.

If you really need to shave the weight to meet class, the 4-16x42 is a decent option too. That will shave another 3 or 5 oz off, respectively.
I think the 4-16x50 is a turd compared to the 4-16x42. The elevation turret on the x42 is superior for most. Glass always looks better to me on the x42. Also, the 50mm bell just makes the scope look like shit IMO. As far as I know, the 4-16x50 is SFP only, MIL-R or MOA-R only, and being discontinued.

Reactions: Bakwa
I have owned every scope out there except a Tangent and I went back to NF. I have 4 7x35s and I love them. I have had both 2.5-20 and 4-32 NX8 also. I have also had a 4-20 ATACR and was not a fan at all…. I have started shooting some NRL Hunter stuff and used a 7-35 on 10 power for the entire match. My question is this…. If I wanted to drop some weight should I look into the 4-16 ATACR or just settle with a NX8? I hated the tunneling of the 4-20 and wondered if the 4-16 had that same issue? Thanks in advance!
4-16 ATACR 👍🏼 Better glass than the NXS or NX8 lines.