• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATACR vs PM2 for SRSM2

ModestMarksman

10 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2023
New Braunfels
Currently deciding between 3 optics for my Desert Tech SRSM2 and was looking for some input. Mainly going to be shooting to 1000 yards with the occasional trip to a range that I can shoot out to 2000 yards.

Current choices are the ATACR 5-25/7-35 MilXT or a PM2 5-25 with the GR2ID reticle.

Leaning towards the 5-25 ATACR due to it being roughly ~1k cheaper than the PM2 and because I’m planning on running the 4-16 ATACR on my AR build whenever I get the barrel from Craddock Precision and I figure it may be nice to have the same reticle in both guns.

Any suggestions?

Not a ton of experience with both but I’ve had 2 Atacr 5-25’s and 3 pmii 5x25’s. I prefer the glass on the pm2’s , the eyebox on the pm2’s was easier for me to get behind. I can’t stand the rotating eye piece on the NF, I always seem to unlock the diopter. I prefer the zero set or whatever on the pm2 super easy to set. I like the NF turrets much better, I hate the mtc locking turrets on the pm2. They are mushy at times and don’t stay lined up with the hash marks. These are the only s&b turrets I’ve had experience with. The pm2 is would be my favorite scope by a mile if those turrets weren’t so bad. Both tracked well for me and were good solid scopes in regards to reliability and durability. Hope that helps

If you get atacr I’d get the 7-35 you listed. ZCO 527 is another option if you compare used ZCO vs new 7-35 atacr prices

Reactions: nickw
On my 2 S&B scopes, the clicks are very tactile and audible. I wouldn’t classify them as mushy. The MTC turret I have isn’t my favorite. When you get to 1 mil, it’s hard to say dial 1.1 mil. I have to always pretty much dial 0.1 mil back down because the next click always wants to be 1.2 mil. The clicks on the S&B are much finer than the Nightforce ATACR. They all work for me when I am out at the range just fine. I am not a fan of the rotating eyepiece on the Nightforce but it’s not a deal breaker for me. Personally, I am happy with all of them but if you can get a used PM2 with the reticle you want at close to 2k, I think that’s a deal. Nightforce I would buy used as well. I think you can get a nice one for 2700 or so. The used prices of the ZCO is getting cheaper as well. I have handled a friend’s ZCO and it was nice as well.
IMG_5103.jpeg

Reactions: Dendro and simonp
No way would I buy an S&B 5-25 at new prices when the new 6-36 is available... and this is coming from someone who picked up his first S&B 5-25 about 12 years ago and then promptly bought 5 more and still uses them frequently and likes them.

A used 5-25 at $2250ish sure... but no way would I recommend buying a 5-25 at new prices, you're essentially paying today's premium scope prices for yesterday's premium scope design.

Sure you can get the new excellent DTII+ turrets on a current production 5-25 which brings at least the turrets up to date, but with the 6-36 being a better scope in practically every way and being about the same price I have no idea why you would pick the 5-25 over the 6-36 if buying new.

DTII+ turrets are the way to go unless you need to use all the elevation travel in the scope for ELR, in which case look at the MT turrets. They're a bit busy but you can use all the elevation in the scope, whereas the DT turrets stop after the second revolution even if there's still available elevation erector travel.

Regarding the atacr, hard pass on the 5-25 atacr, I was not impressed with the one I had and sold it about a month after buying it, the glass wasn't on par with the price of the scope. Far prefer my S&B 5-25s to the atacr 5-25. The 7-35 atacr is far better optically than the 5-25 atacr and would be the one to get.

In the same price range, you might also consider a used ZCO 527 or Tangent 5-25.

Also, even though you didn't mention it I have to say give some consideration to the razor G3 6-36 as well. Even though I have several S&B 5-25s and 3-20s as well as several Tangent, premier, and minox 5-25s and that's all I've ran for years, I decided to try a G3 last year and was impressed enough I now have 3 of them and am thinking about picking up #4. They're good scopes, good enough they make me question if it's really worth paying $1000+ more for the incremental gains the alpha scopes offer over the G3.

I've looked through, but have yet to buy a ZCO 527 and spend extended time using one, but by all accounts they are excellent. I've been impressed with the ZCOs I've looked through and taken a few shots with.

Last edited:
I would scratch the ATACR 5-25 off your list right away, this scope is known to be one of the worst performers (optically) of the ATACR line, that is not to say it is bad, it just hasn't stood up to the 7-35 or 4-16 for that matter which have a much better track record for being optically superior. I would say go with the 7-35 ATACR based on your criteria. There are other great scopes in that 7-35 price range if you're interested but no need to muddy the waters when the 7-35 is such a well done design.

I have all three. All are great. I have a slight preference for the view through the Schmidt. Of the two atacrs, I have a slight preference for the 7-35. Parallax is less finicky on the Schmidt.

your list contains no bad choices. If money was no object, I’d personally do the Schmidt.

Currently deciding between 3 optics for my Desert Tech SRSM2 and was looking for some input. Mainly going to be shooting to 1000 yards with the occasional trip to a range that I can shoot out to 2000 yards.

Current choices are the ATACR 5-25/7-35 MilXT or a PM2 5-25 with the GR2ID reticle.

Leaning towards the 5-25 ATACR due to it being roughly ~1k cheaper than the PM2 and because I’m planning on running the 4-16 ATACR on my AR build whenever I get the barrel from Craddock Precision and I figure it may be nice to have the same reticle in both guns.

Any suggestions?
You can message me for pricing...but it depends what you are after. SB is going to have the optical advantage, and NF will have the build quality advantage. Neither are lacking in the other department though.

Both are fantastic optics. Like some said though, I would probably not opt for the 5-25, and go to the 6-36 PM 2. One huge advantage is the illumination on the parallax nob, which will make mounting much easier on the DT.

As always, Message me with any more questions or for pricing.

Connor

525 atacr blows... I would take a t6 Steiner or vortex gen 3 razor over that garbage

With that said, my SB's with dtii+ turrets will be pried from my cold dead hands

Any suggestions?

Give me a call at 916-670-1103 and I can go over the best options for you :)

Richard@CST