• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATF

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
Looks like the ATF has yanked more FFL licenses this year so far than the past two.

Reactions: doubloon
The problem with revoking FFLs is that it is self-destructive. The more licenses that they revoke means the less surveillance and regulation that they will do.

That's the reason for their existence. Regulating and conducting oversight of an FFL is a lot easier than finding and chasing down individual violators of the NFA.

Government employees should be very concerned about getting rid of a major reason for their job security. So any glowies on this thread should think about that before shutting down anymore FFLs.

Been hearing rumors that they were revoking over petty shit. Problem is that i've known some local shops to have violations that weren't petty, and they were able to keep their license. I haven't personally met anyone that had theirs revoked for petty stuff.

I sometimes worry about mine, but I don't sell firearms. My FFL is personal, with a DBA. I've bought some guns, had 'em sent here, and I can just log them out to myself, no need for a 4473. When I get my first inspection, as long as everything is logged in correctly, and logged out correctly, I should be fine. Since I don't do any 4473's at all, those aren't going to be a sticking point in any way....but I still wonder what they would come up with.

Branden

Been hearing rumors that they were revoking over petty shit. Problem is that i've known some local shops to have violations that weren't petty, and they were able to keep their license. I haven't personally met anyone that had theirs revoked for petty stuff.

I sometimes worry about mine, but I don't sell firearms. My FFL is personal, with a DBA. I've bought some guns, had 'em sent here, and I can just log them out to myself, no need for a 4473. When I get my first inspection, as long as everything is logged in correctly, and logged out correctly, I should be fine. Since I don't do any 4473's at all, those aren't going to be a sticking point in any way....but I still wonder what they would come up with.

Branden
Depends on what class ffl. If you have a colectors ffl type 3 then that is ok. If you have any other, the atf requires you to at least make an effort to create profit. That's why it's always good to transfer for friends and family. I was warned by my local field office.

the atf requires you to at least make an effort to create profit.
Not true. They used to approve personal FFLs, not attached to any type of business. My BIL has one, they are no longer issuing those but continue to let them get renewed IF you already had one. If you ever let it lapse, they will not let you get it again.

I too have heard the tales they are getting more petty but... too much anecdote. I like stats. And with COVID stuff, as well as random removals of funding etc it's hard to compare anything ATF does as year-over-year changes.

Is there a list (graph better yet!) of revocations and/or total FFLs in good standing, so we can eliminate temporary outliers, see if they are just returning to normal pre-COVID rates, or this is really a new trend?

And who gets all the paperwork that the FFL has to keep for every sale?
Personal FFLs aren’t required to keep anything except a bound A&D book. As long as the firearm is brought into that bound book, and taken off(legally) it is done. The personal FFL isn’t tied to any type of business or LLC, etc.

Depends on what class ffl. If you have a colectors ffl type 3 then that is ok. If you have any other, the atf requires you to at least make an effort to create profit. That's why it's always good to transfer for friends and family. I was warned by my local field office.
I'm a type 1. I'm essentially considered a gunsmith, and I do plenty of gunsmithin'.

Branden

Reactions: Thereaper1313
All of a sudden?

No, this is old news and I'm not sure why everyone is acting surprised. The pedo pete administration said in the beginning they were going to shut down as many FFLs as they could. Here is an article that is over a year old:

Here ya go, June 2021 - https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...espond-to-gun-crime-and-ensure-public-safety/

Old news fellas, the FFLs had plenty of warning this was coming.

And who gets all the paperwork that the FFL has to keep for every sale?

They are required to keep records for a certain number of years (7iirc?). After that they can be destroyed.

I know one of my local gun stores had a big bonfire every year burning all the records beyond the legal date. Sadly they went out of business and what they were legally required to keep all went to an ATF warehouse for "safekeeping" aka digitizing and adding to the unofficial registry.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new electronic 4473 is all going to a registry though.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
They are required to keep records for a certain number of years (7iirc?). After that they can be destroyed.

I know one of my local gun stores had a big bonfire every year burning all the records beyond the legal date. Sadly they went out of business and what they were legally required to keep all went to an ATF warehouse for "safekeeping" aka digitizing and adding to the unofficial registry.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new electronic 4473 is all going to a registry though.
20 years for 01 FFL and forever for 07 FFL.

Reactions: nikonNUT
They’re just doing their jobs

As directed by the White House. Dealer in New Hampshire told me they were in his store for a week straight. He finally asked them what was the real reason why they were there and one agent replied, "honestly we have been directed to shut down as many FFL's as possible".

The problem with revoking FFLs is that it is self-destructive. The more licenses that they revoke means the less surveillance and regulation that they will do.

That's the reason for their existence. Regulating and conducting oversight of an FFL is a lot easier than finding and chasing down individual violators of the NFA.

Government employees should be very concerned about getting rid of a major reason for their job security. So any glowies on this thread should think about that before shutting down anymore FFLs.

Wait...so you think if ATF rounds up all the guns, alcohol, tobacco and explosives, they won't have a job?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

You don't know how government works yet, do you?

Jump to 6:05 for the interesting bit on an alogrithm (Known as "Spartan") deciding an FFLs fate...

Last edited:
A(nother)
T(reasonous)
F(ed)
They are some of the worst.

"How was your day dear? Outstanding, I got to ruin the lives of 5 families today. Looking forward to tomorrow."

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot
Found this in a dumpster. Apparently the owner doesn't want or need it anymore.

1000001672.jpg

Biden has been losing on court cases with Frames and receivers, bump stocks, and pistol braces. But he can go after FFLs with a vengeance and there's not much we can do about it.

I just heard on Newsmax that is payback for the gun industry doing what they could to help styme bidens original pick for the head of the ATF. Forgot his name.

I just heard on Newsmax that is payback for the gun industry doing what they could to help styme bidens original pick for the head of the ATF. Forgot his name.
His pick for the ATF was a POS that shot a woman holding a child and helped burn and shoot children in Waco. Then stood over their smoldering bodies for a hero picture