• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ghanger

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2020
    Spring Branch, TX
    Last edited:
    Reactions: rhsc
    The sku # 212009 on the box indicates this is a gen 1 scope with coin slot caps. Not saying the scope isn't actually a gen 2, as they might have mislabeled the box. Can you post a picture of the bottom of the turret? That's where Athlon puts the model #. If it shows 212010 then you do have a gen 2.

Incidentally, there are a number of retailers trying to pass off gen 1 scopes as gen 2 - or perhaps they're mixing up the sku's. Athlon's webpage shows all the sku #s for the gen 2 scopes, so that should be the go-to for everyone looking at these. The gen 1 scopes are still good ( I have a 2.5-15x50 gen 1 myself ) but they don't have the upgraded, "clickier" turret internals. Still the same otherwise.

Last edited:
    The Gen 1’s do not have coin slot turrets, they have the 4 side turret lock screws. I have owed 3 of them in the past and sold 1 here and the others on other sites. So the scope pictured in the OP’s post is a G-2 Athlon Ares. There is no mistaking the Gen 1 from the Gen 2.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    My gen 1 has the coin slot turrets. That was a late change before they introduced the gen 2. Some people refer to it as the gen 1.5, but they both had the same sku #. Camera Land NY offered the choice of slot or lock screw caps by request when they were on close-out last year. Great scope!

Adding my 2 cents. The later Gen 1 which has the coin slot turret had the modifications done to them at Athlon to be more like Gen 2. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Bottom line is the sku # on the bottom of the turret. I seem to recall that the gen 2 got stainless steel internals, so anybody concerned about it might pop off the turret and take a look. My gen 1 has brass internals. The clicks do feel a bit soft, but only compared to higher priced scopes. For the $390.00 I paid for mine, it's perfectly acceptable.

Bottom line is the sku # on the bottom of the turret. I seem to recall that the gen 2 got stainless steel internals, so anybody concerned about it might pop off the turret and take a look. My gen 1 has brass internals. The clicks do feel a bit soft, but only compared to higher priced scopes. For the $390.00 I paid for mine, it's perfectly acceptable.
    $390? You sure you didn't steal it.😀

Oh and by the way, it does says "Gen 2" near the occular ring and also on the objective ring. So that settles that.

Oh and by the way, it does says "Gen 2" near the occular ring and also on the objective ring. So that settles that.
    Great! So what is the sku/model # on the bottom of your turret?

$390? You sure you didn't steal it.😀
    That's the price Camera Land were selling close-out gen 1 BTR scopes last year. Call Doug and he will confirm it. I'll see if I can dig up my receipt. It was a heck of good deal!

OK, after further research I'll concede my error. Ghanger is selling a gen 2 scope model that isn't shown on Athlon's website now. Apparently they changed the reticle and dropped the gen 2 APLR3 model. I should have looked closer at the details. My apologies. This does appear to be a gen 2 scope.

I can't believe this is still available for the listed price. I have the same one and this is am incredible value. Was just looking at .22 holes through mine yesterday at 300 yds

Reactions: rhsc
    Is this is a floating crosshair reticle ? Too small to see.

LMK thx.