• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares BTR Gen II

Anb618

In Valor, there is Hope.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2017
Looks like the assumptions were correct. Saw Doug’s thread on CameraLands further price reduction on the Gen I and went looking for more info on YouTube...

Gonna pick up that 2.5-15x50 Gen I. ?

Man the Gen 1 blowout price really is/was a good deal, aside from the weird instances of used/mounted/qc failed units getting shipped as new.

That is NOT a lot of upgrading for $800 vs $400.

Reactions: Cotay
Looks like the assumptions were correct. Saw Doug’s thread on CameraLands further price reduction on the Gen I and went looking for more info on YouTube...

Gonna pick up that 2.5-15x50 Gen I. ?

Thank God they stayed with the APLR3 .2 mil reticle!!!

I'm going to buy one just to see how the improvements came out because I sure like the Midas TAC line and these G2 Ares BTR's should be at least equal and I'm crossing my fingers it pulls off 27x better.

I am very happy with my gen 1 Ares BTR 4.5-27, especially at the blowout price I got it at.

I'm shopping for a sub $800 scope for my budget Aero M5 build, and was looking at the 4.5-27x Ares BTR. But that clearance price on the 2.5-15x BTR is looking really good. Screw it, I'm ordering one. I'm excited to compare it to my 3-9x VX-R Patrol and SWFA 3-15x SFP.

Welp, you got my money again, Doug. Planning to throw this on an old hunting rifle as an upgrade from an old diamondback and get it out shooting a little more.

Got my Gen1 2.5-15 from CLNY a couple days ago. I only got a chance to look through it in my living room, but I really think I'm going to like this reticle. Took the best photo I could before work today.
IMG_20191010_075023.jpg

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have two of the 4.5-27 models and I LOVE them. I have run them out to 1,030 yards without issue. It tracks out and back no problem. I would say it’s easily as good as a Gen 2 PST.

The zero stop is great too.

Reactions: stilesg57
I have two of the 4.5-27 models and I LOVE them. I have run them out to 1,030 yards without issue. It tracks out and back no problem. I would say it’s easily as good as a Gen 2 PST.

The zero stop is great too.
If you’re talking about the Gen 1 Ares BTR? I certainly didn’t see any difference optically either but the turrets were better on the PST by a long way.

If you’re talking about the Gen 1 Ares BTR? I certainly didn’t see any difference optically either but the turrets were better on the PST by a long way.
I would agree with you. But once I removed the o-ring from the Ares, they were pretty much the same to me.

Reactions: Bravo6
Yeah it definitely improved the feel but it felt a bit nasty having to remove the o ring to improve something.

The great thing about Athlon is that they listen .... I’ll be interested to see what happens with the Cronus line as the original turret feel lacked tactile clicks too when compared against competing scopes.

Yeah the only thing that bugs me about the gen 1 Ares is the set screws used to secure the turrets. What a pain in the ass to adjust and get tight. Otherwise it’s great especially for the price, it’s been holding up just fine on my .338 Lapua for the last 200rds or so.

Yeah the only thing that bugs me about the gen 1 Ares is the set screws used to secure the turrets. What a pain in the ass to adjust and get tight. Otherwise it’s great especially for the price, it’s been holding up just fine on my .338 Lapua for the last 200rds or so.
The later gen 1 Ares have spline-shaft turrets with coin slot caps. Camera Land will send you one if you specifically request it and they still have them in stock.

How does this compare with the PST Gen 2? Ford vs Chevy I know, but figure that’s got to be some first hand experience and pros and cons compared to each other. Thanks in advice

The Ares BTR has a little more turret travel. Some guys say the Gen II PST has better glass, but I didn't notice it when i looked through them side by side. But it was a bright sunny day. Maybe it would be different on an overcast day, or closer to dusk.