• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 or Athlon Midas Tac 5-25

Teviinz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Hi guys.. Im new to the mid-long range shooting world (200-600 yards). Right now I have a Athlon Argon btr 8-34 on my magpul enhanced Ruger american in 6.5 creed. Im looking to upgrade the scope on that rifle and move the argos over to my Savage model 10. I really like the argos for what it is and would like to stay within the Athlon Family.

What would be you guys recommendations for me between the 2 options mentioned above.

Midas Tac HD. Better turrets (could be comparable now with gen 2's out for BTR) and Glass.
Also, the Tac has the floating dot which is a preference thing on reticle choice.

Buy once, Cry once.

Midas Tac HD. Better turrets (could be comparable now with gen 2's out for BTR) and Glass.
Also, the Tac has the floating dot which is a preference thing on reticle choice.

Buy once, Cry once.

3rd option would be a used ares ETR since they can be found for about the same price point. Id the ED glass a huge improvement over the HD glass?

I personally use an ETR and would suggest it.
Especially with their no questions asked warranty.

Do you have 34mm rings for the TAC HD 5-25, a small extra expense but? Want more weight or not?
What about the reticle, would you prefer an all .2 mil reticle?
Need illume or don't care?

I was at the Athlon booth at SHOT comparing all the scopes. My main conclusion is all these gen2 scopes are greatly improved over the older scopes, this would include the TAC, TAC HD, Gen2 Ares BTR, and the ETR, the mid to higher priced line of scopes.

Actually even the Talos BTR, the Argos BTR, and the Helos turrets have been improved.
Sucks because now I want to sell all my old Gen1 scopes, lol!!!

Just got a Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50 in a few weeks ago and mounted it up to a rifle yesterday trying it for most of the afternoon. The turrets are awesome now, unlike the Gen1!!!
The glass prescription is superior compared to my Gen1's, it had slightly better image quality to me. I don't know exactly why but the glass in the Gen1 was somehow off a little to me???
Also it focuses at long range better, meaning that my two Gen1 Ares BTR's are slightly blurry past 6-700Y, I felt like I wanted to focus farther but I couldn't as the dial had come to it's stop. The Gen2 focuses fine past 1000Y.
I really didn't have any complaints or concerns with this Gen2, which wasn't the case with the Gen1 version.

I say to choose based on the features you prefer most.

Interesting thread. Read on the NRL22 web site the info they collected on who's using what. Athlon was the most used optic - 40%. Now which model, they're breakdown did not specify.
Got me to looking closer and reading/watching some of the reviews. Information overload to a certain extent. Ares ETR, Ares BTR Gen 2, and Midas TAC all interest me and left me on the fence. My intent is to buy 2 of the same scope. One for a Vudoo 22, and the other for my custom 6CM. Nothing competitive, but mostly for fun punching paper and steel at all ranges., but definitely want FFP.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Read on the NRL22 web site the info they collected on who's using what. Athlon was the most used optic - 40%. Now which model, they're breakdown did not specify.
Got me to looking closer and reading/watching some of the reviews. Information overload to a certain extent. Ares ETR, Ares BTR Gen 2, and Midas TAC all interest me and left me on the fence. My intent is to buy 2 of the same scope. One for a Vudoo 22, and the other for my custom 6CM. Nothing competitive, but mostly for fun punching paper and steel at all ranges., but definitely want FFP.

It would totally depend on budget for me. Love the Midas Tac I recently got but the Ares ETR is a better scope and worth 2X the price in my opinion. You could do 2 Midas Tac for the $1300 1 A-ETR, but if you can afford it, go with the ETR, IMO.

I’ve seen a lot of the 2X factor in scopes lately, meaning, you have to spend twice what a good value scope is to really get appreciable improvement. $300, then $600, then $1200, then $2500-$3k (haven’t looked at many over this mark). Just my opinion but I’ve looked through a LOT of scopes lately researching what I wanted. I am totally satisfied with the features for the dollar of A-MT, and after testing movement is better than the glass, but if I had the coin I’d have done the A-ETR without hesitating.

So many wishlists, such a limited play budget.

I had the need for a sfp scope with illumination, and given the fact that the new Gen 2 Midas BTR is available with an attractive & useful mil reticle, I bought two of the 4.5-27x50s. I've really enjoyed shooting behind Midas TAC 6-24x50s on a couple of 22RF repeaters & two of my Howa Mini rifles (the other two Minis have Gen 1 Ares BTRs on them, and I find myself wishing I could swap 'em out for either Gen 2 Ares or Midas TACs).

Reason I wanted a sfp scope was because I wind up out & about both early in the morning & late at night with a rifle, watching over my little 34lb Aussie shepard/border collie cross while she does her business, and the ffp reticle of the Midas TAC at 8x is too hard for me to see with a flashlight, while the Gen 2 Midas mil reticle is perfect for this application, especially with illum set on #1 or #2. The dot aiming point is noticeably larger in dia than any of the other aiming point dots on the Ares ETR, Midas TAC, Ares Gen 2, or even the newer Cronus, which is something I appreciate. I had a Midas TAC 6-24x50 on the V22 sporter, which was replaced by the Gen 2 Midas BTR. They're both mil scopes, so one of the first things I did after zeroing the new Midas BTR was to run the elevation up to 7.4 mils and shoot the V22 at a 6" gong at 200yds - dink, first shot hit, no problem. So now, I've got a scope with good glass, good clicks on turrets, good reticle, great tracking, zero stop, AND illuminated reticle that works great in the dark. Exactly what I thought I needed, and at a price appreciably less than the ffp version, yet still in mils so that all the come-ups for 22RF I've gotten accustomed to in my ffp scopes. The 2nd one is going to replace a nice little 1" Weaver 4-20x50 Super Slam on the AR15 SPR I carry in the truck, and I'm pretty darned certain I'll like the mil clicks a whole bunch better than the 1/8 MOA clicks on the Weaver.

I think there may be some confusion now. Because I'm confused. :geek:

Why? It seems the NEW Midas TAC is the exact same price (MSRP) as the NEW Gen II BTR.

MSRP: $1,062.49

MSRP: $1,062.49

It seems to me they improved the Midas too? as it used to be a few hundred less than the BTR. And I believe the BTR has a few more features than the Midas like the illuminated reticle and exposed windage turrets. Although some may consider the capped windage a feature too.

The two reviews posted above state the BTR to be a bit better optically than the Midas and many preferred the turret feel of the Midas and the capped windage. Both are mechanically as good as any scope currently produced so it really does come down to what features and how much glass you want.

Well, for one thing, the Midas TAC 5-25x56 is built on a 34mm tube, with the larger 56mm objective. That should make it easier to understand why the Midas is priced that much higher than former Midas scopes...

Well, for one thing, the Midas TAC 5-25x56 is built on a 34mm tube, with the larger 56mm objective. That should make it easier to understand why the Midas is priced that much higher than former Midas scopes...
The street price of an Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 is $849.99 vs the Midas TAC 6-24x50 which starts at $629.99

Yes, the 34mm tube 5-25 is priced at $849.99, it is a different product than the 30mm tube scopes and at $849.99 is priced far below any other 34mm tube 5-25 out there with similar features:

HD GlassHD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
Non Illuminated ReticleThe non illuminated reticle rifle scope is battery free.
First Focal Plane ReticleFirst focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
Etched Glass ReticleReticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Advanced Fully MulticoatedFully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL CoatingXPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
Precision Zero Stop SystemThe system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
High Precision Erector SystemThe high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
Aircraft Grade AluminumThe aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
Direct Dial Elevation TurretExposed Direct Dial Turret for elevation allows you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
Capped Windage TurretCapped Turret for windage assures you that your zero on the windage is always there and gives you the flexibility to dial as well after taking off the cap
One Piece Tube ConstructionHeat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
WaterproofWaterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proofFog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
ShockproofRobust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon PurgedArgon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Magnification5-25
Objective Lens Diameter56 mm
Reticle APRS3 FFP IR MIL, Glass Etched non-illuminated
Surface FinishMatte
Lens CoatingWide Band Fully Multicoated
Extra CoatingXtra Protective Coating
Tube MaterialAircraft Grade Aluminium
Tube Diameter34 mm
Exit Pupil 9-2.2 mm
Eye Relief3.7"
Field of View @100 yards22.1-4.5 ft
Click Value0.1 mil
Adjustment range per rotation10 mil
Total Elevation Adjustment32 mil
Total Windage Adjustment32 mil
Turret StyleZero Stop Elevation & Capped Windage
Parallax AdjustmentSide Focus – 25 yards to infinity
Purging MaterialArgon
Length15.4 "
Weight30 oz

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Another vote for the Athlon ETR seres. I have two, one on a .308 and the other on a 6.5CM, like them both.

An ETR is on my wish list. And I suspect that when I talk to Doug @ CameraLand in the next day or so, I'll have one headed my way. The only uncertainty is which reticle. Several are recommeding the floating dot (APLR5 ?). To this point all of the scopes that I have, and therefor become used to have either a duplex reticle or the "+" as the center (Leupold Std and Fine duplex, TMOA, and Swaro 4W and 4WX). These are all SFP scopes. I've shot the Kahles K525i (FFP) which has the floating dot, but I can't honestly say that I liked it or not - it was months ago. I guess it was OK, I hit what I was aiming at out to 1200yds. :unsure:

Had the ETR, awesome scope for the $, but my parallax left me feeling meh over time. It was very hard to adjust, not forgiving imo. I would have gone to the Cronos if Athlon was the brand.

An ETR is on my wish list. And I suspect that when I talk to Doug @ CameraLand in the next day or so, I'll have one headed my way. The only uncertainty is which reticle. Several are recommeding the floating dot (APLR5 ?). To this point all of the scopes that I have, and therefor become used to have either a duplex reticle or the "+" as the center (Leupold Std and Fine duplex, TMOA, and Swaro 4W and 4WX). These are all SFP scopes. I've shot the Kahles K525i (FFP) which has the floating dot, but I can't honestly say that I liked it or not - it was months ago. I guess it was OK, I hit what I was aiming at out to 1200yds. :unsure:
2Barrels - After switching over to mil scopes several years ago, I've more or less ignored MOA reticle options, but the MOA dot (APLR5) reticle option for the ETR appears to have a larger floating dot than the mil reticle, and that's kind of an issue for me. The mil ETR I've been using for the past couple of years has such a small floating dot that my old eyes can barely make it out at 16x. If Athlon made the ETR with the Cronus BTR's + aiming point, I'd have gone with it instead, but that reticle is only available in a MOA version in the ETR.

The new 4.5-27x50 Midas BTR Gen 2 I just mounted on a V22 22RF sporter has the APRS 4 reticle with a large enough floating dot to be usable, and since it's a sfp design, the reticle doesn't change with power, so the dot's easily visible even down at the bottom end of the range. This is the first 2nd focal plane scope I've bought in several years, and it's got the features I really needed in this application on a 22RF rifle that gets used in very early morning & late at night while I'm watching out for coyotes while taking Bea (my little 34lb Aussie shepard/border collie cross) out to do her business. The attached photo of her shows the results of not being quick enough to watch over her a few years ago...
ETA - All my other high-end 22RF rifles have ffp mil scopes, and I have no desire to mix mil & moa versions. Besides, I'm pretty familiar with mil come-ups on these .22s from their 50yd zeroes out to 200yds, and I much prefer mils to moa in rifles with as much drop as the 22RF.

Attachments

• DSC_1056.JPG
    DSC_1056.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Flat,

Thanks for the comments. I'm kinda in the same boat as you, in that the small dot ( . ) is difficult to make out with my aging eyes. On the other hand, my intent for the scope I buy would be for 'paper, steel, and fun' 22 (Vudoo), not watching over the beloved canines. Mil/MOA is something that has been debated, and will be, for eternity. I've always been a MOA guy, so I suspect that I'll continue in that direction.