• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon ARES BTR vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 2

Ranger.RSA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
I am unfortunately not in a position to handle either model before hand. For those of you who have experience with both give me their honest opinion? Which would be your choice?

2.5-15x50 vs 3-15x44
4.5-27x50 vs 5-25x50

wait for new ares etr. better in about every way though untested it seems to check about every box, 4.5-30x, 56mm objective, 34mm rings, 32mil elevation, lockable wind, good reticle

I am anxious to see the new ETR as well. I do have both Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 on hand and in terms of image quality and turret feel, PST Gen 2 is a bit better. It is also more expensive, so there is that to take into account.

Both seem to stay zeroed and adjust reasonably well, but side by side PST Gen 2 is a better scope optically. I expect ETR to be a better scope, so that should make for an interesting comparison.

ILya

Reactions: Lefty1121
I am anxious to see the new ETR as well. I do have both Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and Gen 2 PST 5-25x50 on hand and in terms of image quality and turret feel, PST Gen 2 is a bit better. It is also more expensive, so there is that to take into account.

Both seem to stay zeroed and adjust reasonably well, but side by side PST Gen 2 is a better scope optically. I expect ETR to be a better scope, so that should make for an interesting comparison.

ILya
How would you compare those to the PST Gen 1?

PST Gen 2 is a serious step up from Gen 1.

Ares BTR is similar to Gen 1 in terms of optical performance or a touch better. Ares BTR is a more full featured scope and I really like how compact it is and the fact that it has a proper zero stop. Mechanically, both Ares BTR and PST Gen 2 have been good. PST Gen 2 has better turret feel. Reticles are in the eye of the beholder.

ILya

Reactions: CSTactical
I think the Ares BTR and ETR and going to find a home in my safe.

BTR 27x for the 18" Grendel
ETR for a 22" Creedmoor

PST Gen2 or the Ares ETR.

I just couldn’t get past the turrets on the Ares BTR. If you’ve ever touched moderately decent turrets, you will be disappointed.

PST Gen2 or the Ares ETR.

I just couldn’t get past the turrets on the Ares BTR. If you’ve ever touched moderately decent turrets, you will be disappointed.

I think there's a revised Ares BTR that's been quietly rolling out with the Midas TAC style turrets. I sure thought I read that somewhere anyways.

My BTR has perfectly serviceable turrets. I do know they were improved at some point, but I do not know if mine is pre- or post- improvement.

ILya

Good to know they were improved. Thought I read that there wasn’t much of a fix for them, but that was months ago, and may have only been for the already released/sold models. They were audible and lined up, but they were way too easy to turn for my liking. Hope that’s been resolved.

A really dumb question here. Athlon is 100% produced in China if I am correct. Are these subject to the "tariff war" that we are in with the Chinese and if so, should we expect price increases soon? A local farmer here claims new combines are going to cost $80k more just because of steel tariffs.

Athlon Cronus is made in Japan. Everything else in China. I think there is already a tariff on importing riflescopes, so I am not sure if we will see any increase or not. I have not bothered to dig through the exact verbiage of what is happening with tariffs.

I hope they manage to make a deal that does not increase tariffs unduly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

ILya