• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares etr 3-18

Jack's Dad

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
Anybody try this scope yet? Unless the Burris xtr 3 gets illuminated in the next couple months I'm leaning towards this.

No, haven't seen one yet either.

Brownell's MPO 3-18x50 consistently gets a good mention from DLO, so you might consider that as an option too in that general price range.

I'm second in line on the pre-order from Doug at camera land. He mentioned they are a week or two out.

As soon as I get mine, I'll share some initial feedback.

I'm on the pre-order list at camera land also. I ordered 2 weeks ago and am looking forward to getting it. Already have rings, MKM low pro bubble level and there scope caps for it.

Anybody try this scope yet? Unless the Burris xtr 3 gets illuminated in the next couple months I'm leaning towards this.
My ARES ETR in 4.5-30×56 is right up there with the big names as far as quality.
In some ways it's performed better than a well known $2499 optic I also own...
So I'd expect the 3-18 would be great as well.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
The big Burris xtr 3 is definitely better than the big Athlon to my eyes but both are quite excellent. I also assume the 3-18 will be a great but.

Reactions: Franko
Well I got it lastnight and so far think it's a fantastic optic. Will be honest it's the most I spent on an optic. Closest would be my Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 or SWFA 3-15x42. Out of those two I definitely prefer the Midas Tac no contest. This Ares ETR UHD is much better than the Midas Tac I think. Never had a 34mm tube before but I do like it. Glass seems to be excellent! Turrets are very very good and think they feel nicer than the Midas Tac. Really like the lockable windage even more so than a capped windage like the Midas Tac line but just easier to use not having to take the cap off to adjust when necessary. Parallax adjustment seems to be very accurate and pops in and out very nicely. Will say it's a hair on the stiff side compared to my Midas Tac which I like. The illumination while not really bright in daylight still is visible. Now my favorite is the reticle. I really like it alot. Just has everything that I like in a reticle and is usable for me at all powers. The lines are a hair thicker than the Midas Tac APRS2 reticle which I like and the .2 mil lines makes it easier to see also. Here's a pic at around 150yds through the scope at 18x. And atop my EVOL PCP airgun

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-094451.png
    Screenshot_20210410-094451.png
    723.1 KB · Views: 526
  • Screenshot_20210410-165944.png
    Screenshot_20210410-165944.png
    1 MB · Views: 817
Well I got it lastnight and so far think it's a fantastic optic. Will be honest it's the most I spent on an optic. Closest would be my Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 or SWFA 3-15x42. Out of those two I definitely prefer the Midas Tac no contest. This Ares ETR UHD is much better than the Midas Tac I think. Never had a 34mm tube before but I do like it. Glass seems to be excellent! Turrets are very very good and think they feel nicer than the Midas Tac. Really like the lockable windage even more so than a capped windage like the Midas Tac line but just easier to use not having to take the cap off to adjust when necessary. Parallax adjustment seems to be very accurate and pops in and out very nicely. Will say it's a hair on the stiff side compared to my Midas Tac which I like. The illumination while not really bright in daylight still is visible. Now my favorite is the reticle. I really like it alot. Just has everything that I like in a reticle and is usable for me at all powers. The lines are a hair thicker than the Midas Tac APRS2 reticle which I like and the .2 mil lines makes it easier to see also. Here's a pic at around 150yds through the scope at 18x. And atop my EVOL PCP airgun

Can you post a picture of the reticle at lower magnification, say 3x and 5x?

I'm curious to hear more reviews as these come out, seems to be one of the few 3-18 scopes that tick all the boxes for a crossover scope.
Locking turrets, thicker reticle, good FOV and not to heavy.

Here's some pics of the reticle (best I can get through my phone at least) at 3x, 5x and 8x.

I do agree that it's one that really has a lot of features that makes it an excellent crossover scope. That's why I waited for it over buying something like the Brownells MPO (besides not liking that reticle). Hoping to hear others reviews also as I don't have alot to compare to. Especially compared to what alot of people on here have.

Screenshot_20210414-104115.png

Screenshot_20210414-104219.png

Screenshot_20210414-104243.png

On 3x the FOV at 103yds that I measured was right at 40ft. So pretty well what there specs say
The reticle looks great on lower magnification, the main stadia line thickness looks perfect for the magnification range.
It's interesting that the FOV specs on the 3-18 model are around %7 bigger than that on the 4.5-30 model.

I’d be curious to know how this compares to the Burris XTR3 and Vortex Razor 3-18. I realize it is in a cheaper scope class, but I wonder if has the same “quality feel,” and curious how it opticallty stacks up to the other two.

I really like Athlon reticles. I am a fan. I think you get a lot with there price points. I own 2 Cronus BTR's a gen 1 and a gen 2. I also have a pair of there binoculars. Haven't had an opportunity to check out the etr's but I'm sure they are good too

Any more reviews on this? How's it compare to the other scopes in this mag range and weight range like the NX8, MK5HD, and XTRIII?

I'm trying to talk myself out of an NX8 for a "do-it-all" crossover rifle that will be mostly used for hunting but the occasional comp if I can get ammo.

Any more reviews on this? How's it compare to the other scopes in this mag range and weight range like the NX8, MK5HD, and XTRIII?

I'm trying to talk myself out of an NX8 for a "do-it-all" crossover rifle that will be mostly used for hunting but the occasional comp if I can get ammo.

Those other scopes are way more money so they compete against the Athlon Cronus line. BTW IMHO the G2 Cronus is the 2021 scope to beat in it's price range, that thing turned out excellent, I couldn't be happier!

The answer is then simple, if you have the $$$$ then get one of the mid priced scopes.

That being said these Helos G2's really are awesome for the money! You really have to nitpick them and have a much more expensive scope to compare with side by side to see the differences, which aren't huge.

Those other scopes are way more money so they compete against the Athlon Cronus line. BTW IMHO the G2 Cronus is the 2021 scope to beat in it's price range, that thing turned out excellent, I couldn't be happier!

The answer is then simple, if you have the $$$$ then get one of the mid priced scopes.

That being said these Helos G2's really are awesome for the money! You really have to nitpick them and have a much more expensive scope to compare with side by side to see the differences, which aren't huge.
To me the Cronus isn't in the same category as the scopes I mentioned though. It's heavier and has a different mag range.

Did you mean to say Helos or Ares?

Ha, sorry the ETR. I've got too many scopes floating around in my mind this morning.

I had my mind stuck on the NF 4-32, L 5-25, and XTR2 5-30, sorry. If you have to have 3x vs 4.5x and have to have lighter weight then sure pick a lower mag range.

Still finding it to be an excellent scope. Not sure what else you want to know. No experience with others mentioned so can't help there

Reactions: Jack's Dad
Just snagged a 3-18x50 Ares ETR from the cameralandny.com Fourth of July sale. Can't wait to see how it compares to my gen1 Cronus BTR and gen1 Ares BTR. Thanks @gr8fuldoug !

Pretty nice scope. Not as fun to look through as it's big brother or the NF 4-32 but a massive step up from other optics in the athlon line up. I do want to get one more.

Pretty nice scope. Not as fun to look through as it's big brother or the NF 4-32 but a massive step up from other optics in the athlon line up. I do want to get one more.
Could you post a few pics possibly? Not very many "in the wild" pics of this scope. Pretty sure I will be buying one soon.

I bought one. Its awesome. Probably my favorite reticle that Ive seen. Glass seems very nice to me. Turrets are nice and tight. I get 19 mils on on my 22 with a 50y zero/20 moa rail.