• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30×56 or Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 for Ruger RPR 300 PRC

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
I've got a Ruger PR 300 PRC coming and I'm trying to decide between the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30×56 APRS1 ($1199) or the Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 APRS1 ($1399). Is the Cronus worth the extra $200? I assume it is, but would like confirmation from you smart guys. I'm normally the $300 SWFA guy. :)

I had both. Cronus was well worth the extra money for the glass. As for ring height, should be pretty easy to figure out with the bell OD and a gap of .1 for space. There are a bunch of ring height calculators online too

Cronus- Made in Japan at LOW
Ares- Made in China

$200 in my opinion is worth the upgrade.

I own the Cronus. It’s easily on par with my NF ATACR in terms of clarity and brightness. The Ares I handled side by side got darker on the higher magnifications.

Even comparing NF to Cronus there’s actually a few things I prefer about my Cronus over my ATACR. Illumination adjustments and magnification adjustments (Cronus doesn’t rotate entire eyepiece like NF) are just a couple

The ATACR feels like it would take more abuse tho

I do like the locking windage on the Ares vs the Cronus. The clicks are definitely louder on the Ares. But I actually prefer the clicks on the Cronus turrets

LOW puts out some good optics and the Cronus is no exception

Another Cronus owner here, definitely an excellent scope. Side by side against the S&B PMII, the Cronus resolved slightly less at 600 yards on some blades of grass. It took someone else to point this out to me because I couldnt tell at first.

I’ve had both and the Cronus is worth the extra $

The ares has locking windage and louder turrets but the Cronus beats it everywhere else. I also prefer the APRS reticle over the APRS1 for field shooting.

Have both. Yes, I would pay the extra for the Cronus.

I've owned both, and liked both. The parallax on the ETR seemed picky to me, but still a great scope for the $.

I've got a Ruger PR 300 PRC coming and I'm trying to decide between the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30×56 APRS1 ($1199) or the Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 APRS1 ($1399). Is the Cronus worth the extra $200? I assume it is, but would like confirmation from you smart guys. I'm normally the $300 SWFA guy. :)
I was in your exact same situation a month or two ago. I bought a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 and was looking to upgrade my optics. I went with an open box (display model) Cronus. $1199, I believe, from CameraLandNY. Scope looks brand new, not a mark on it. Works just fine. Great value for money.

Well, thanks for all the advice. However being the internationally known cheapskate that I am, I opted for the 'open box' Athlon Midas TAC 5-25×56 APRS3 for $750. I'm sure it will be a big step up from my usual 'Joe 6 Pack' rifle scopes. AT least I hope. 🤯

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
You may find the 34mm Midas TAC will suit you; I've shot behind quite a few Cronus scopes for several years, and prefer them to the Ares ETR I have mounted on a custom M70 in 6x47 Lapua, and a Midas TAC 5-25x56 on a custom M700 in 223AI. Both the lower priced Athlons work just fine, but the glass of the Cronus is enough better that I'd take the Cronus over either of the others - you get what you pay for... It's probably a moot point - I thought I read today that Cameraland had bought up all the remaining Cronus scopes Athlon had in stock, and also that they're already sold-out of them. Hope Athlon's got a replacement for the Cronus that's really a step-up from the previous models.

I thought I read today that Cameraland had bought up all the remaining Cronus scopes Athlon had in stock, and also that they're already sold-out of them.

You read correctly that we filled our warehouse with the Cronus BTR's and we are blowing them out at only $1,299.99, however, the only one we have sold out of is the APRS1 MIL, all the rest are in stock

I just got a couple of Cronus for my RimX builds and I am extremely impressed with these scopes. The eye box is incredibly generous and the glass is amazingly clear for this price point of scope.