• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares ETR for precision trainer

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Looking for a solid optic for a precision trainer/possible NRl 22 rifle. I’ve been looking at the Vortex strike eagle 5-25FFP and meopta optika 6 3-18 FFP? As a wild card I was looking at the Athlon Ares. However I have no experience with Athlon. Any thoughts I’m new to rimfire and Athlon optics so any suggestions I’ll gladly take.

Looking for a solid optic for a precision trainer/possible NRl 22 rifle. I’ve been looking at the Vortex strike eagle 5-25FFP and meopta optika 6 3-18 FFP? As a wild card I was looking at the Athlon Ares. However I have no experience with Athlon. Any thoughts I’m new to rimfire and Athlon optics so any suggestions I’ll gladly take.
I have one, and it's a 1x10 on my precision ar. I have to say for money, it's pretty dang good. When you get used to looking through ZCO's, going to anything else is just noticeable, but the Ares is seriously good glass for the money. I have an AMG on my 223 trainer though, and I just love that scope. You can get used Vortex scopes at such a good price now days, it's hard to pass that option up as well. If it's just for a trainer comp rifle, I'd be looking at a gen2 Razor used, assuming you want the weight. I didn't want that on my 223 so I went with the AMG and am very happy with it.

I have had the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 on my 300 PRC since May/June. It is the best glass that I own (I'm not yet to that ZCO tier). I'm going to switch the Ares over to my 6.5 Creed PRS rig after it gets barreled. I have never looked through a Razor Gen II, but I can tell you that the Ares beats my PST Gen II, thus it should beat the Strike Eagle pretty handedly. I don't have any experience with Meopta so I'm no help there. Only other brand I would throw out there for you budget and use case is a Tract Toric.
Good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole.