• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Ares vs Strike Eagle

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
I have come into possession of both a strike eagle and an ares gen 1 btr. Both seem to be solid scopes but I’m wondering what your alls opinion on them are and which Would you prefer? Thanks!

Both are solid scopes.
Both have a pretty good track record, you are in a unique position to judge for yourself which you prefer.
Me personally, I like 30mm tubes on sporter rifles and 34mm tubes on tactical rifles.
Edited to ask which strike eagle?
5-25 or the 30mm 4-24?

I have come into possession of both a strike eagle and an ares gen 1 btr. Both seem to be solid scopes but I’m wondering what your alls opinion on them are and which Would you prefer? Thanks!
You have both,

It’s likely China vs China so that’s a wash

Which reticle do you prefer?

Which features do you prefer?

Which has enough travel for the distance you shoot?

What turrets are better and more so accurate?

Both have great warranties so that’s a wash

Have/had both
Glass: ares edges out s/e but tunnels more than the s/e
Turret feel: s/e feel better too me, however removing the o-ring on the ares makes them better but.. i noticed while hunting i would turn the turrets accidentally
Turret function: like the locking turrets on s/e, both tracked well for me
Zero stop: ares, s/e has a piece you have to put in that when installed takes up a portion of travel
I no longer have ares btrs (had 3) and have replaced them with etrs.

Both are solid scopes.
Both have a pretty good track record, you are in a unique position to judge for yourself which you prefer.
Me personally, I like 30mm tubes on sporter rifles and 34mm tubes on tactical rifles.
Edited to ask which strike eagle?
5-25 or the 30mm 4-24?
5-25 34mm. It’ll be used on a long range target rifle. No hunting with this one.

5-25 34mm. It’ll be used on a long range target rifle. No hunting with this one.
I really like my SE 5-25. I had the ares a few years ago and really liked it. It’s a underated scope in my opinion. But there’s nothing popping in my head where I’d trade my SE for a Ares.

C00A8235-1A20-47A6-A243-EDEEDB0D140A.jpeg

If you don't need illume and want the best value (I think) with better glass then get a Athlon Midas TAC 5-25 which has a 34mm tube.

I've been behind one SE and the turrets didn't line up well as well they were on the mushy side. Glass was ok I thought.

The G1 Ares scopes I had, 3 of them, had pretty distinct clicks but the action was on the soft side as far as turrets go. Then I went to G2 Ares scopes, 2 of them, and except for glass they had much better turrets, very nice actually.
Though for some odd reason the Ares glass does not suit my eyes??? So I sold them too.

The Athlon Helos G2 6-24 is a very nice scope, they did a good job on it! The glass is about the same as the Ares to me and all the controls are great for this price range! It just a keeper. I like it better than the SE and any Ares I've had. I'd pick it over the SE all day long!!!

Speaking of the Ares series, the ETR is flat out worth the extra money IMHO. These are a good pick and I was very happy with the ETR I had except the reticle which I didn't like which is why I sold it.

Back to the Midas TAC. It has better glass than the Helos G2 and slightly better build quality. I don't use illume much and prefer the nicest glass I can get away with for the price and for my eyes.

Honestly between the Helos G2 and Midas TAC , both with the APRS6 reticle, I like each scope quite a bit and have trouble deciding which rifle I want each scope on. Tough problem to have, right??!!

I suppose I'll probably buy a Midas TAC next time because there is nothing to not like and just lacking a few features over the Helos G2 which I don't use much and also the glass suits my eyes better.