• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos 10-40 gen 2

A-Rob

Hermit
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
Old FL
Has anyone got their hands on one of these gen 2's yet? I've had several Athlon's over the years and currently have a Cronus BTR on a .22 bench rifle. I'm shooting paper only with this rifle from 50 to 200 yards and I'm thinking of moving the Cronus over to another rifle because it's a bit overkill. I had a gen 1 Argos 10-40 and it tracked, etc. but I wasn't thrilled with the turrets not lining up. The glass was actually good for the price but I'm wondering if that was improved too on the new version.

Yes the turrets are improved in this Gen2 version and the ones I saw at ShotShow lined up well.

Had a bunch of Gen1 Argos BTR's through my hands, and even though I've done some winning with them I wasn't a fan of the turrets, which BTW did get a little better from the first year's scopes to last year's scopes. The Gen2 is much better than last year's Gen1 in all aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gohring65
Thanks. I followed up my old Argos with a Golden Eagle and although it was obviously a better scope the glass quality wasn't some sort of amazing revelation. I'm way more concerned with mechanical accuracy when I'm just shooting short range targets.

I got an Argos 10-40 several months ago when I think it was Midway had a sale on them for around $239. Figured for that price it will be worth a try. It is a pretty decent scope for shooting paper at 100 yards. The eye box seems a bit tight but the glass was OK. Might get a Gen 2 version if they go on sale.

I went ahead and ordered one, it should ship late next week so I'll give it a spin soon. If it doesn't check all the boxes for me then no great loss. I'll post my unprofessional assessment in a few weeks.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I went ahead and ordered one, it should ship late next week so I'll give it a spin soon. If it doesn't check all the boxes for me then no great loss. I'll post my unprofessional assessment in a few weeks.

Looking forward to your review.

Reactions: A-Rob
I have been running an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 Gen1 for a year and really can't imagine what they have done to make a Gen2 better....better turrets? Mine are clean and crisp and the scope tracks better than I can shoot.

The only thing I'd want is a better/wider eye box. I'm extremely looking forward to a review of a Gen2 as I'm a whore for the Gen1/original.

VooDoo

Got it today. As long as it tracks, it'll work fine for my purposes. 1st off, your not getting $1000 glass for under $400. From my first time looking through it I can tell the glass is similar to the 1st gen. I couldn't see a bunch of CA but it gets dim at 40x, which is all expected. The parallax is a little touchy but I had it resting on a sandbag, not a rifle, so take that for what it's worth.

The parallax markings are dead on for the distance, or at worst a few yards off. The turrets are completely different. The clicks feel like a Midas TAC. There is a very slight amount of play once either turret is in place. The turrets line up dead on the marks and the zero stop feels just like a TAC or ETR - dead stop. The reticle is perfect for target shooting. If it tracks correctly then there's nothing else that will touch it at double the price. For putting little holes in black and white paper it should be perfect.

I bought my Gen1 for the reticle not expecting much more. I was pleasantly surprised that the glass was as good as it was, it has nice crisp clicks, tracking better than I can shoot, and it goes to 40X which makes spotting splashes or holes pretty easy all the way out there.

Realistically to get a better scope with a similar/identical reticle and 40X+ magnification we are looking at a Vortex Golden Eagle for $1500. I wanted to move up to the GE when I outgrow the Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 but at 3X the price?

I'm not a cheap date but Having looked thru and shot a Golden Eagle I'm not sure I'll make that jump. Maybe Gen3 of the Athlon will go 15-60X56 with a little more brightness above 40X.

VooDoo

I bought my Gen1 for the reticle not expecting much more. I was pleasantly surprised that the glass was as good as it was, it has nice crisp clicks, tracking better than I can shoot, and it goes to 40X which makes spotting splashes or holes pretty easy all the way out there.

Realistically to get a better scope with a similar/identical reticle and 40X+ magnification we are looking at a Vortex Golden Eagle for $1500. I wanted to move up to the GE when I outgrow the Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 but at 3X the price?

I'm not a cheap date but Having looked thru and shot a Golden Eagle I'm not sure I'll make that jump. Maybe Gen3 of the Athlon will go 15-60X56 with a little more brightness above 40X.

VooDoo

If Athlon or another established company came out with a 10-50 or higher with a street price under $800 I'd look at it. Having owned a GE, I can't justify the price for my purposes on this rifle.

Thanks for your review. I'm happy with the Argos for the price. The GE is a better scope but I have 3 of them and don't feel like buying another one so for my next paper target build I'll probably get another Argos. Anyone know how the Argos compares with something like the Weaver 36x or Sightron SII 36X fixed power scopes?

Reactions: BDHobbs