• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 vs Helos BTR

YoungBuck94

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2014
Minnesota
I'm looking for a new scope for an AR10, and these two are my most likely candidates. Curious if anyone has experience with them. I understand the Argos has a zero stop, the helos does not but has locking turrets. How does the glass compare? They're roughly the same price via CameraLandNY. Thanks in advance!

I have 1 Argos and had 2 helos scopes. Glass is the same. The helos locking turrets are way nicer. I still have the argos on my kids rpr rimfire. Sold the 2 helos because I upgraded scopes. I had a vortex viper pst gen 1 and I liked the helos better. But they were pretty close all around. I liked the turrets on the helos better then the viper.

Reactions: WeeHooker
I have 1 Argos and had 2 helos scopes. Glass is the same. The helos locking turrets are way nicer. I still have the argos on my kids rpr rimfire. Sold the 2 helos because I upgraded scopes. I had a vortex viper pst gen 1 and I liked the helos better. But they were pretty close all around. I liked the turrets on the helos better then the viper.
Is it the Gen I or Gen II Argos you have? Rumor has it they improved the turrets on the 2nd gen Argos.
If the glass is the same I'd probably go with the Argos just because the zero stop means more to me than locking turrets.

I’ve had 4 Athlons and 3 Vortex.
All 3 Vortex had to go in for CS.
They make a great scope in the Razor, but I think that’s where it stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkes
Old thread but this new Helos BTR G2 2-12×42 in mil is a very impressive scope for a MAP of $499!

Even the glass is bright and clear.

I've found no faults which is pretty darn cool considering that I usually do.

Reactions: wcoats
I really like the idea of the Helos BTR G2 2-12 for an AR. I really like the reticle, how short it is, weight and locking turrets. However I have yet to hear from anyone who actually has used one yet. Have you used one? Last I heard they were “about to start” shipping. I’m really tempted to order one

I recently got an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm for the Tikka T3X UPR .308 that I also ordered. Because I ordered the rifle, a ton of accessories, some extra ammo, etc. all at the same time, (and having just dealt with Christmas...) - I had very little to spend and decided that the ~$300 for that Athlon and ~$100 rings - adding up to just about my limit after everything else- would be the best I could do.

I am both very happy and juuuuuuust a little disappointed with the Athlon. I should say- I got a Gen 1, despite it being advertised as Gen 2. As I understand it, there are a few differences ... the Gen 2 apparently comes with a physical zero-stop out of the box. My Gen 1 comes with a package of rubber washers/gaskets which you can use to install inside the turret to give you a zero-stop. No big deal IMHO. However, I read a few people say they thought the Gen 2 came with less-good glass (either a different type, different manufacturer or slightly different quality level, I don't know) - I can't say that for sure. I will say this though:

As far as "features" - it's *extremely hard for me to believe* you can find anything like it for $300. I know people have loved Vortex for some time but this is just spec'ed out to be a $1000+ "sniper rifle scope" for $300 bucks. $289.99 sometimes I've seen it. Hard to beat. The aluminum used in the construction is some of the best you'll see in optical scope building and it's a rock-solid optic.

I am a little disappointed with the glass at high magnification, and that is something I see over and over about it. I had read about the Athlon, ordered it, and then started reading the high-magnification problems. Multiple posts about the exact same thing on this very forum and others. And it's the truth. Basically it's perfect at 6x, and up 12x-16x is pretty great ... but 18x is about the best I can do, once I get above it , I'm not in love. And it sucks because - I'm zeroing at 100 yards with a reactive green/yellow target, and at 24x I can barely see the hits because of blurriness or haziness, however you want to call it. Almost certainly due to the fact that it's their entry-level glass. I guess you don't get the next step up in quality until their Midas level, which they call "HD Glass" - but they're double the price @ $530 for the low-power optics and $600 for the high-power ones ... so double in price. But I read many people complain about the high-power haziness, and I have to agree. Some people wouldn't care at all- I just hate the idea of saying to myself, "You have something theoretically capable of 100% power, but can only use it up to 75% max..." and it ate at me.

I wound up just ordering an amazing Brownell's MPO and I could not be happier. I am really, really liking the MPO.

Not a fair comparison at all ...
we're talking about a $300 budget scope for beginners or people on a budget vs a $1,000 scope designed to compete with $2000+ scopes, so not fair at all comparison.

If you only have a few hundred bucks for a scope, the Argos can be a great choice. If you wanted to upgrade, I would certainly be interested in their HD Glass models. (of course, their Ares and Cronus lines have their best, Extra-Low-Dispersion Glass, sweet.)

I really like the idea of the Helos BTR G2 2-12 for an AR. I really like the reticle, how short it is, weight and locking turrets. However I have yet to hear from anyone who actually has used one yet. Have you used one? Last I heard they were “about to start” shipping. I’m really tempted to order one
I was told that Athlon got a tiny shipment in. But yes I've got about 11 hours of shooting behind mine.
4 hours using a 75 fpe 30 cal pcp air rifle and the rest on a 12 fpe pcp pistol which I will be competing with this weekend.

It's surprising how fun it is shooting at the 1.5 to 4 moa sized steel both holding over and dialing!
More fun doing it quickly.
So nice NOT being stuck with SFP and seeing the reticle on low power. 3x seems like 6x, 4x like 8x, because of the size of the reticle.

As soon as i can I'm getting more for my AR and my coyote rifle. It's a very versatile scope for quickly engaging "normal?! sized steel" and hunting. I like that mil reticle waaaay more than i thought I would!

Reactions: beetroot
Are there any other reviews of the Helos BTR Gen 2's? I am also looking to outfit an AR SPR and am considering the 2-12x42 and 4-20x50.

The 4-20 only weighs 2.2 oz more (27.6 vs 25.4) and has a more precise reticle that I think I prefer.

Are there any other reviews of the Helos BTR Gen 2's? I am also looking to outfit an AR SPR and am considering the 2-12x42 and 4-20x50.

The 4-20 only weighs 2.2 oz more (27.6 vs 25.4) and has a more precise reticle that I think I prefer.

The G2's are quite an improvement over the G1's.

For the precision minded on smaller targets the 4-20 is much more appropriate.

The 2-12 is more of a point and shoot FFP rifle scope for quickly engaging predators coming in to a call, or for hunting big game and wanting FFP while being able to see the reticle on low magnification (really cool in low light with illume on!) and taking advantage of a wide FOV.
Medium sized steel and larger at a faster pace.
While still being able to holdover/off using the reticle on any magnification. The reticle hashes are thinner than the center dot and work quite well for such from 4x on up.
Pick up the center dot quickly and fire is the name of the game within the confines of this magnification range.
I find 12x to be much easier too use than 10x at longer distances, no problems on a 1' IPSC man silhouette at 800Y.
It's unique in the scope market and caters to this particular niche. It is a very fun scope!

I have an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 Gen 2 and went to a Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60X52. Both are really good scopes and tracking is outstanding. I liked the zero stop and turrets on the Athlon better than the Vortex but the edge in glass/image quality and eye relief goes to the Vortex. Both of them are awesome scopes and share a common reticle (floating center dot and fine reticle lines) and I'm glad to have had both of them simultaneously.

Athlon does not suck. If one takes into the account that the Vortex is literally 3X the price and the true functionality of the scope is nearly identical the Athlon kicks the Vortex's ass. If I could only have one I'd have the Athlon and have >$800 left over for ammunition and range fees. Luckily I don't have to choose but if yer optics shopping and pass on Athlon optics because someone hated on them then you have taken bad advice.

VooDoo

Thanks guys.

I have been wanting to try an Atlhlon and the new Helos looked like a good fit for my SPR AR. I have played with my buddies 6-24x50 Midas Tac and was impressed. I think it was right there with my Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50.

The 2-12 sounds cool, but I think the 4-20 is a better fit for my intended use. These new Helos are loaded with features for the price and it sounds like the glass is still pretty good.

Last edited: