• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Argos BTR Gen II 6-24x50 Mil Disappointment

Bosn54

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
Before I even post this, I will admit that I should have known better. I bought this scope and went to sight it in and the glass is just dreadful. I made every adjustment that I thought appropriate and had another set of eyes do the same, and even at the $399 price point it is not something I can use. I bought it from Camera Land (NY) and they were great and asked me to send it back to Athlon. According to my tracking number, Athlon had it in their hands for less than two hours before letting me know that the glass met their standards, tracked just fine, and it was on it's way back. I did not expect a high end scope, but I would think my glass should be sharp enough to see my groups at 100 yards at 10x or 12x. As I said, I knew the risk and lost out. Learn from my mistake. I have had nothing but good luck with the SWFA SS scopes I bought at the same price point, so I rolled the dice on this Athlon and crapped out..

Everyone's eyes are different I guess. I have an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 and think the glass is worth like 3X what I paid for the scope. I can see holes at 600 yards.

When you get it back list it for sale and you'll likely get most of what you paid for it. I'd consider it worth the loss for the experience..maybe the price of a couple boxes of ammo caliber dependent.

VooDoo

I have a Gen 1 6-24x50 and was impressed with the glass for the price. I can easily see 22 cal holes at 100 with it. Have shot out to 400 with it on my 22lr. Great bang for the buck imho.

Those are the kinds of reports I read when I bought it. Maybe I just got a bad one. I honestly would hate to sell it to someone without them looking through it first.

I just want to follow up. Doug at Camera Land in NY really went out of his way to make things right. I did not hold Camera Land responsible because matters like this typically fall back on the factory, but Doug went right to work on it. I will be excited to come back and update once the swapped out scope arrives. I am a disabled veteran amputee and decided to take up bench rest and rifle shooting for a hobby because I was slowing everyone down at IDPA matches. I found some old fixed power SWFA scopes at a pawn shop that work fine but wanted to try a new one and hopefully this one will work out like it did for the other guys here. Thanks.

The argos is pretty low end. I'd say you have a fairly typical glass for that optic. I have one and I describe it as roughly the same. I could still hit steel at 1k with it on my howa 308 just fine. But it would actually give me headaches. It's fine for a very entry level option. But it's not a S&B beater

Everyone's eyes are different. I run my Athlon Argos BTR right next to my nephews Vortex Golden Eagle and the glass is comparable to both of us. My nephew actually shoots my Savage 10 in 6.5 CM with the Athlon scope better than he shoots his tricked/blueprinted Remington 700 in 6.5 CM with a $1500 Vortex GE on it.

I have shot a lot of scopes and the cheap end of Athlon is "almost" as good as glass costing 3X - 4X as much. Maybe not in everyone's eyes but I'm now an Athlon Whore so YMMV.

VooDoo

I just want to follow up. Doug at Camera Land in NY really went out of his way to make things right. I did not hold Camera Land responsible because matters like this typically fall back on the factory, but Doug went right to work on it. I will be excited to come back and update once the swapped out scope arrives. I am a disabled veteran amputee and decided to take up bench rest and rifle shooting for a hobby because I was slowing everyone down at IDPA matches. I found some old fixed power SWFA scopes at a pawn shop that work fine but wanted to try a new one and hopefully this one will work out like it did for the other guys here. Thanks.

I sold it. I can’t say enough good about the Camera Land guy, he tried. But, that scope just does not have the clarity folks were claiming. I went through two of them and both were the same.
Thanks for the info.

I sold it. I can’t say enough good about the Camera Land guy, he tried. But, that scope just does not have the clarity folks were claiming. I went through two of them and both were the same.

I just picked one up as well and was not very impressed with the glass. It's pretty hazy once you get above 16 power

I guess you're getting a fair bit for the price point- zero stop, i find the turrets to be nice, illuminated reticle etc. But the glass isn't great for target shooting.

In all fairness to the scope do you adjust both lens good enough ? I never go by the yardage bs on the scope. I see mind blowing clear on all my Athlon scopes (Argos ,Ares )

Sounds like the typical "what's a diopter" situation because there's no way the glass in these are bad. I've had a dozen or more in my hands with no complaints.

Heck I just won my division at state on saturday with mine.

Heck I sold 2 SWFA 3-15's because the glass had less image quality.

Reactions: Appalachian
In all fairness to the scope do you adjust both lens good enough ? I never go by the yardage bs on the scope. I see mind blowing clear on all my Athlon scopes (Argos ,Ares )

yes, i adjust to get the most clarity possible and i find the yardages on the scope to be very accurate. mind blowing clarity on an argos is likely the exception, not the norm.
i also have a midas tac, which i really like.

Out of curiosity, is it possible that those of you with a good experience with Athlon glass were looking at the first generation and those of you with a bad one were looking at the second generation?

These scopes are great starter scopes.
But dont kid your self and think any 300 dollar ish scope will have "Mind blowing clarity"

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Man that's too bad I have exact glass totally blown away with it. I wear -8.5 Rx glasses with advanced cataracts though so maybe I'm a bad litmus. Run it stuck on 34x with a 22 out to 300. Also have an XTR II I like which apparently is substandard shit too going by the hate of Burris on SH. Sorry you had a bad experience....Doug is awesome all new glass goes through CamerLand for me!