• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos vs DMR vs Nightforce Benchrest

I am Barabbas

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2017
I am new to Mil and higher magnification optics. A year and a half ago I put together an AR 15 with WOA Varmint upper with 20 inch barrel for the purpose of shooting at longer distances. I opted with a budget scope at the time and chose an Athlon Argos BTR 6x24 with Mil APMR Reticle. I have used that scope out to 500 yards and it has performed well and allowed me to begin to learn to shoot at distance.

About six months I began considering upgrading my scope and began scouring the shooting forums and eventually ended up here on the Hide. I've been looking at different optics and have developed analysis paralysis like so many others. I'm in fly over country so my access to scopes is limited so it is difficult for me to play with different brands to see what works for me. A friend has been down this road already so I bounce ideas and ask questions of him frequently. Last week he suggested that I take a couple of his scopes to test. He happened to have a Bushnell DMR and a Nightforce Benchrest 12x46. Since both are on Larue QD mounts it was a great offer for trial and testing so I took him up on his offer and picked the scopes up this morning.

My goal was not to test the scopes for shooting but to compare them side by side mounted on my rifle in various light situations. My comparisons were made today under sunny skies with no cloud cover. Test times were mid morning, mid afternoon and dusk. I compared the three scopes on 21 power since this is a common high power that each share. I compared the Athlon (my benchmark) and the DMR on 21 and 10 power. Overall the Nightforce won for my eyes at each time of comparison. The eyebox is more forgiving and the clarity is better.

I was surprised to find that the Athlon was clearer than the DMR. Just before the sun dipped over the tree line four does came out into the field behind the house at just over 100 yds. I was able to scope them in the open field and then through moderately heavy brush at the edge of the field. At each power setting that I tried (10 and 22) the Athlon was the better to allow me to clearly see the deer in the brush. I was able to distinguish detail of each much better with the Athlon.

I'm left with some questions now but feel that I have taken a good step toward ruling in or out some of the optics that are available. I understand that the DMR II is improved with better glass than the DMR. If you were guestimating the difference between the two, what percentage gain in clarity does the DMR II have over the DMR?
If I am comparing the Nightforce Benchrest to the other Nightforce models, will the Benchrest glass compare in quality to the NXS line or the ATACR line?
What other brands/models do you think will fall alongside the scopes that I was able to test today?

Thanks for all the good reading that you guys have provided me. I hope that this thread will contribute to that good reading for someone else.

Edited to add: the Nightforce is an early generation scope.

Last edited:
I am sorta in the same boat. It is hard to beat the bang for the buck you get with the Athlon from what I have read on the internet. At well under $US400 I don't think there is another scope that comes close; again from what I have read on the internet. On the other hand I suspect the top tier scopes that are close to ten times the price are better. I am a little disappointed there has been close to a month and no one has responded to the OP. This is sorta bump for the OP but I have to wonder just what an extra two grand will get me over the Athlon Argos.

I am sorta in the same boat. It is hard to beat the bang for the buck you get with the Athlon from what I have read on the internet. At well under $US400 I don't think there is another scope that comes close; again from what I have read on the internet. On the other hand I suspect the top tier scopes that are close to ten times the price are better. I am a little disappointed there has been close to a month and no one has responded to the OP. This is sorta bump for the OP but I have to wonder just what an extra two grand will get me over the Athlon Argos.
I think you'll get a lot.

But you don't need to spend $2k to get to that level

Most of the first tier scopes I see are $US2,500 at the low end and more like $US3,000. Stuff like SB, Tangent, Kahles, NF, and the like.

You say you can get quality glass cheaper, like under $US2,000; but don't mention any. This was sorta the point of the OP; what is good quality glass that is better than the Athlon stuff at just over $US300 but less than say $US1,000. Or even less than $US2,000.

I have never looked through an Athlon but i did see them at the gun show the other weekend and was curious about them. The other day i did get to compare my bushnell elite tactical ers 3.5-21x50 side by side with a vortex razor hd gen 2. 4.5-27x56. I was reading signs at work at about 400yards while it was raining. Letters about 2 inches tall, they were very clear with both scopes. The bushnell surprised me with the clarity and being 1lb lighter

Reactions: TommyTwoGuns
I have a DMR and a DMR2, idk how I could put the “improvement” of the glass into a percentage but I will say it is better in my eyes. Same reticle, same magnification, just different generations. You also gain a few other options on the DMR 2 like a zero stop and a locking windage turret while the elevation is low profile and non locking. That was by far my biggest complaint of the DMR, pull to spin turrets and they were kinda wobbly and shitty feeling fully extended. If you happen to be close to Kansas City, the bushnell outlet in Lenexa has some factory refurbished on there from time to time CHEAP. I tried and athlon recently, glass was fine, reticle was good, but the turrets were so light I felt like I could free spin them 5 Mils. I will most likely be buying another DMR2. Wouldn’t second guess one bit.

Reactions: TommyTwoGuns
SWFA HD 5-20 is a good answer to these questions that go like, "I don't want to spend $3k, but I also want better quality and performance than my $500 Athlon."

PST Gen 2 and Burris XTR are other good options.

Reactions: ajdemar215
Yep, for the price the Argos BTR is hard to beat, moreso in the glass department. I've mentioned this often, even getting a lot of guff about saying so. It is what it is and it should be expected to fall behind the more expensive scopes of course in fit, finish and feel.

All I can tell you is I'd rather have the Cronus BTR than the Bushnell HDMR's I had by a large margin and those were nice basic scopes. As well as the USO I had and the 5 NXS's I owned too. The glass in these Cronus scopes often match or exceed all but the best scopes out there.

When you go up in price you get more features and more refinement, possibly more reliability, that can be debated since I'm sending one of my S&B's back for repair.

Reticles - Athlon has the best tree reticles in the business regardless of price.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I’ve been Calling Athlon dealers to whose stores I have access. I have yet to find anyone stocking the Cronus. The Ares yes but no Cronus. Having looked through an ATACR and Gen2 Viper at Buds Gunshop I’m really wanting to check the Cronus in Natural light. It would also be sweet to have access to an SWFA for comparison. For now I’ll stick with my Argos and learn a bit more while I figure out the next step.

I'd have no qualms recommending the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 in the sub $2K optic category. It has excellent glass and exhibited perfect turret tracking out to +10 Mils in the sample of two I've owned (a Cronus/and a Cronus BTR).

The tall target deviation from the predicted offset of 100 cm at 100 meter distance when dialing 10 Mil was about +0.5 cm on one and -0.6 cm on the other. Both results lie well inside of my shooter error and in my opinion, neither scope needed turret corrections.

Reactions: patriot07