• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

athlon argos

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
anybody have any idea how these hold up on a centerfire. had several athlons and actually my fav brand. argos is a lower level line mostly 1 " tubes but the 2-12 range is perfect for a hunting rig and alot of elevation not necessary for me in that setting. 1" tube is fine. any hands on with the 2-12 argos?

Reactions: Cameron Baucom
I have a 2-12 on my 308 and a 4-20 on my 5.56 and both have been great. Probably 100 factory rounds on the 308 and 300 on the 5.56. They’ve tracked well for me and have held zero. For the money I’m very pleased with the glass quality as well. Both are the illuminated dot duplex reticle. The dot is daylight bright as well. Very pleased so far.

My daughter's rifle hasn't had an issue with them but the round is a meager 6.5 Grendel (~400 rounds).

My eyes don't like them but that's not really the scope's fault. :)

anybody have any idea how these hold up on a centerfire. had several athlons and actually my fav brand. argos is a lower level line mostly 1 " tubes but the 2-12 range is perfect for a hunting rig and alot of elevation not necessary for me in that setting. 1" tube is fine. any hands on with the 2-12 argos?
It depends on what level glass you want. I would recommend going with the ETR over BTR.
The ETR comes with a 34 mm tube vs a 30 mm tube on the BTR, better light gathering for the ETR. Additionally, the ETR has a locking windage turret, while the BTR’s turret are both exposed but do not lock. However, the ETR is 31.4 oz while the BTR is 27.3 oz.

The biggest and probably most influential difference is glass. ETR comes with UHD glass, the absolute best glass Athlon offers. The BTR is equipped with HD glass, still very good glass but a step down from UHD.

@Cameron Baucom. Do you have link to these Argos BTR/ETR’s? Especially in the 2-12 the OP is asking about? I’d be interested in checking these out.

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
@Cameron Baucom. Do you have link to these Argos BTR/ETR’s? Especially in the 2-12 the OP is asking about? I’d be interested in checking these out.

Here you go! If you need pricing or information text me/call me at 980-425-9127.

So the OP and myself are having questions in regards to the Argos line of scopes and we get links to Ares that cost a grand? I would think they would have better glass.

• Haha
I had an Argos BTR and the glass was great for the $330 it cost. Comparable to $1k scopes.

The rest of the scope, turrets, etc were meh at best. Not bad for a starter scope. Reticle was very usable.

Reactions: Cameron Baucom
So the OP and myself are having questions in regards to the Argos line of scopes and we get links to Ares that cost a grand? I would think they would have better glass.

:ROFLMAO:

4436FE2D-5711-4D92-A5D7-87107DE9354B.png

• Haha
I can send you the links to the ARGOs line as well however they only have HD Glass in them and not UHD.
I had an Argos BTR and the glass was great for the $330 it cost. Comparable to $1k scopes.

The rest of the scope, turrets, etc were meh at best. Not bad for a starter scope. Reticle was very usable.
Good scope for hunting in the woods.

Since my last post I ended up picking my daughter up an Ares BTR (only 1st gen). While the turrets may still have the "mushy" issue, it's so much a better scope that if I had to do it again it would be my first option. You can often find them in the vicinity of ~$500 give or take which put it just a rocks through from the Argos MSRP (to get the reticle I wanted it was a bit more than $330 others report but they're still well south of the ~$500 msrp in fairness). While my eyes didn't really vibe with the Argos (again, my daughter had no issues with it), I can't say much bad about the old Ares BTRs (and I'd note my daughter liked it better by admission). Enough so I picked up another for my other daughter when I saw one pop up and I would do it again without hesitation. :)

Reactions: gr8fuldoug