• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon, Bushnell or Vortex

I'm considering the Viper HD in my head. Anyone have more information on this?

That’s where I’m at. I’m sure the Ares is nicer but I’m not sure they’ll be here.

I have the Athlon, works well. But where can you get that Vortex for $550? At that price I would get that one.

I like Bushnell but they seem to be constantly changing their line-up...doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

So, the Vortex at 550 is the general consensus? It’s larger in diameter and overall than the Ares. However, from what I understand the glass isn’t as good?

Obviously any company can go away at any time without the general public knowing in advance, and it doesn't take a buy out/layoffs to see a companies quality to go crap. That said right now with the rumors around what could or could not happen to Bushnell and the changing of ownership, layoffs etc. I'd avoid them.

Of course, it's entirely possible that what emerges as the "new" Bushnell will be even better, but these days, they are going to have to prove it for a couple years at least before I'd buy into them. Far too often these things happen and the quality that results is a significant downgrade at least early on during/after a transition, even if down the road things improve.

Reactions: sniper79_98
So, the Vortex at 550 is the general consensus? It’s larger in diameter and overall than the Ares. However, from what I understand the glass isn’t as good?
I have the Athlon, my step-son has the Vortex. To my eyes (which admitedly aren't the best) they both look pretty decent. Just keep in mind the Vortex is going to be more massive, so take that into account for whatever tripod you plan to put it on. And if you plan to lug it around.

What is the end use?
are you taking this in the field?
Is this strictly for the range?
Too much power isn't a good thing.
You may find yourself wishing you had less than 20x far more often than you'll be wishing you had more than 45x.

What is the end use?
are you taking this in the field?
Is this strictly for the range?
Too much power isn't a good thing.
You may find yourself wishing you had less than 20x far more often than you'll be wishing you had more than 45x.
Just range. Pretty sure I’m going to get some binoculars instead. Oh well. Lol.

They all come out of similar/same factories in china, phillipines etc. I have a vortex 20-60x85 with angled eyepiece it's great for range use and (according to a few people on here) you can get a burris eyepiece with a reticule for a couple hundred that fits it. Most of the time it's at 20-25x. My ideal spotter would be something lighter weight with a reticule and angled eyepiece.

People will say "get binoculars instead" but it's nice to have both. At the very least a cheaper vortex or leupold spotter with an angled eyepiece.

Don't forget a solid tripod preferably one you can use as a shooting rest as well.

All of them on another forum.
They all come out of similar/same factories in china, phillipines etc. I have a vortex 20-60x85 with angled eyepiece it's great for range use and (according to a few people on here) you can get a burris eyepiece with a reticule for a couple hundred that fits it. Most of the time it's at 20-25x. My ideal spotter would be something lighter weight with a reticule and angled eyepiece.

People will say "get binoculars instead" but it's nice to have both. At the very least a cheaper vortex or leupold spotter with an angled eyepiece.

Don't forget a solid tripod preferably one you can use as a shooting rest as well.
I just got a decent deal on a 22-48x65 Gen2 razor (angled). Can you recommend an “ok” tripod? I put 700 in the scope. I don’t think I’ll be shooting off of it as it’s mainly for bench. I’d like a short one for the bench and maybe a taller one that I can stand up with.

Reactions: FuhQ
All of them on another forum.

I just got a decent deal on a 22-48x65 Gen2 razor (angled). Can you recommend an “ok” tripod? I put 700 in the scope. I don’t think I’ll be shooting off of it as it’s mainly for bench. I’d like a short one for the bench and maybe a taller one that I can stand up with.
You're definitely ahead of the game with the Razor, than the others you originally listed.

I figured for what the others were selling for vs what I could get this one for I was better off. It’s not the larger 80 or 85mm. However, I think I can see hits on steel at 900-1k and HOPEFULLY be able to see 6.5 holes at 300 or so. Definitely if I get the shoot n’ see targets.