• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scope caps?

Robo

AI Guy
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2017
Burlington, CT
Looking for some suggestions on a good set of caps for the Cronus I recently picked up on sale at Cabelas. Really like the scope for the money but having a hard time finding solid caps.

My experience with BC caps has not been good given that I've broken off too many. I have Vortex Defenders on them now and they're ok but don't really like the way the ocular cap slides up and down each time I flip them.

I like Tenebraex caps but can't seem to find ones designed for this scope.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

What do you mean by the ocular cap sliding up and down? I was about to by the defenders in the next couple days, this post was perfectly timed.

What do you mean by the ocular cap sliding up and down? I was about to by the defenders in the next couple days, this post was perfectly timed.

Since they slide on over the scope, they're not a custom fit. On mine, the rubber sleeve gets a bit loose after a while and it moves back and forth when I flip them up. Not bad on the front bell end but more so on the eyepiece. I like a tighter fit. Still a decent cap for the money but I prefer ones that more securely fastened.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, around $40 or about $100. I'm in the "buy once, cry once" mode given all the stuff I have in my storage boxes that I bought to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
I think I’ll give the defenders a shot and just ziptie the ocular cap down if need be. Thanks for the feedback though.

Since they slide on over the scope, they're not a custom fit. On mine, the rubber sleeve gets a bit loose after a while and it moves back and forth when I flip them up. Not bad on the front bell end but more so on the eyepiece. I like a tighter fit. Still a decent cap for the money but I prefer ones that more securely fastened.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, around $40 or about $100. I'm in the "buy once, cry once" mode given all the stuff I have in my storage boxes that I bought to save a few bucks.

I had the same problem with the Defender cap for the occular. I slid the bottom rubber cap back & put a 1" piece of 3M automotive 2 way tape (available at most auto parts stores) on the bottom part of the occular, pulled the rubber part back over it, problem solved. The 3M tape is thin so you dont see a bulge or anything. The "fix" was about a year ago, still works great.

I had the same problem with the Defender cap for the occular. I slid the bottom rubber cap back & put a 1" piece of 3M automotive 2 way tape (available at most auto parts stores) on the bottom part of the occular, pulled the rubber part back over it, problem solved. The 3M tape is thin so you dont see a bulge or anything. The "fix" was about a year ago, still works great.

interesting idea. probably worth a shot for a couple of bucks before I put in a $100 back order.

I tried your idea with the 3M automotive tape and seem to have solved the problem. I applied it to the eyepiece reticle focus ring at the very end of the scope so I could still make adjustments, especially when I lend my gun out to my son-in-law who has better vision than me. Otherwise, I think it would have locked the cap onto the scope and prevented adjustments for the reticle focus. Appears to be much more of a solid fit now. Hope it lasts like yours has; might have just saved $100!

I tried your idea with the 3M automotive tape and seem to have solved the problem. I applied it to the eyepiece reticle focus ring at the very end of the scope so I could still make adjustments, especially when I lend my gun out to my son-in-law who has better vision than me. Otherwise, I think it would have locked the cap onto the scope and prevented adjustments for the reticle focus. Appears to be much more of a solid fit now. Hope it lasts like yours has; might have just saved $100!

Glad it worked for you. Sometimes the simple fixes work out the best.

Is there an adapter to be able to use the teneabrex caps?

Is there an adapter to be able to use the teneabrex caps?

No, I actually contacted Tenebraex and they told me that that don't support this scope right now. Given the growing popularity of Athlon, that might change down the line. The above referenced "trick" or Aadmount seem to be the best options right now, other than BC if you care for those.

The eye piece is the E10 and the ocular is the the O56. The ocular is great but after two months I’ve started having the eyepiece problems that are mentioned above, so I’m either gonna do the automotive tape thing or just use a zip tie and re zip tie if i have to adjust the ocular focus. I really enjoy my cronus, and I think you’ll be very happy with it.