• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon cronus 4.5-29x56 vs nightforce nx8 4-32x50

russkim04

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2019
I currently have cronus mounted on rifle. Seen a guy at rifle range with nx8 4-32x50.....I think with my eyes his nightforce was a better view. I also have 30mm mounts so I'm torn.... do you think the extra cost of the nx8 over the cronus is worth it? Should i leave my cronus or spend the extra and sell cronus? Thoughts?

I would keep the Cronus unless the NX8 does something else significantly better or you have some money that NEEDS to be spent. Lol. I'm a poor so I don't buy new gear/kit unless it would provide a substantial improvement to what I have.

The Cronus is a nicer optic. Better eyebox, clear glass from edge to edge, far less fussy over parallax.

The NX8 wins in FOV. Thats about it.

Honestly I would take several of the LOW made optics at a lower price point than the NX8.

Reactions: Adam B
What do you use the scope for

Mostly target, but deer bunting also. I'm working up 2 loads. 135 berger and 153 berger in 6.5 creedmoor, 1 hunting and 1 target. Want a dual purpose rifle, but I enjoy shooting way more than hunting

We are a big Nightforce shop, but most of our customers are tactical / target and PRS/ELR shooters. Cronos gives you a lot of optic, with a smart price point. Nightforce by far wins if you throw your scope down on the ground.

There is also a large Cronos following here. My sense is much more Cronos fans here than elsewhere. That's good and that's bad. Good is you will get a lot of first had views. Bad is that outside of the 'hide many have never heard of the brand. Sometimes the following here tends to give more favorable reviews of Cronos than you will find with other users. I do not hesitate to recommend it or sell it.