• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus Btr Gen 2

dupe34

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2020
I'm getting a Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 scope. My question is what height scope rings will i need for a Vudoo with 30 moa base? I was told a low height rings will work. Just trying to get advice before buying.

I recently finished barreling my new Three-60 action/30 MOA rail, with a Krieger sendero contour bbl blank, and installed the same Athlon Cronus as you're using, going with Athlon Precision medium height rings, which are listed on their website as having 1.069" height. Their low 34s have a listed height of .944", or 1/8" lower. Judging by setting a digital caliper at .125", and looking at it from the side of my rifle, it appears that the low rings would still allow the objective bell to clear the bbl - but just barely. Since I put the Three-60 into a Manners PRS1T stock with adjustable cheekpiece, there was no reason for me to go with the lower rings. I have used these 30 & 34mm Precision rings on three rifles, and like them just fine.

Attachments

• DSC_0390.JPG
    DSC_0390.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0392.JPG
    DSC_0392.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 116
Low will work but to be comfortable I’ve 1.5” height on all 4 of my chassis rifles. If you use a chassis with adjustable cheek piece , I suggest you do the same.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
I have mediums on mine with 40MOA rail (20" MTU barrel), it's close. I definitely wouldn't want to have it any lower. Hopefully the Scope Chaps will fit, if my sunshade ever shows up.
MagnetoSpeed.jpg

Here is a V22 Gen 1 in a MDT LSS gen 2 chassis.
The rings are UTG PRO. They are 37mm from the top of the pic rail mount to the center line of the scope.
That provides for about half an inch of clearance to the barrel. I don't recall what MOA rail that is but it would not matter.
The mounting screws are flat head hex drive and that makes them snag free. The flat hear screw also allows you to
mount them with the screw on either side. Some mounts have a half inch hex nut that hits the bolt unless you put
the nut on the left hand side of the gun.

Don't forget to factor in the rail MOA and the sun shade and any scope caps. The caps on my Trijcons add about
.156" to the radii. I had one rifle that cleared the barrel by about .010"when all of that stuff was attached.

"I use scope mounts that allow me to mount the rifle in a natural position. I don't contort myself to fit the rifle.
I'm also not overly concerned about getting the scope as low as possible to the barrel like many people are.
I'm not saying that theoretically, lower isn't better.... I'm not willing to compromise a relaxed , natural shooting position
to get my scope lower by some marginal amount.
I have seen some videos of world class shooters with the bottom of the scope bell clearing the barrel by more than
1.75 inches.
Check on the internet and you will see what I mean. When I started competitive shooting in 1990, nobody set me
off in any direction so I was never brain washed by the masses with any preconceived notions. I don't think a being half an
inch lower is going to give me any better results. I DO think that having a gun that fits you will make a lot of difference.
I get behind the gun, establish a scope height and build my scope rail and mounts to meet my natural eye height.
And very often I use offset mounts to get the scope farther back so that I am in a natural position front to back.
I don't want to invite any extra fatigue into an already stressful match.

Why did you lean towards the CRONUS ?? Doesn't it top out at about 30X?

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 78
  • $2000.00 EACH.jpg
    $2000.00 EACH.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 72
My Quad has 20moa rail + 20moa mount. It works wonders. I have 1.5" mount height and it would probably still fit a picatinny rail beneath the objective.

I have Warne Mountain Tech medium 34mm rings on mine. I tried looking up the height, but Warne doesn't list it now. I want to say they are 1.118".