• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus BTR GEN TWO 4.5-29 vs. Vortex Gen 2 Razor HD

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    I seen a lot of the Cronus BTR vs gen 2 Razors but not the Gen TWO Cronuses, which is why I made this thread. I have the Razor HD and I love it, but I just want to know how the Cronus gen 2 compares as I may want to try something different, but I just didn't want to give up anything in the clarity, repeatable tracking and physical durability areas. You can have all the repeatability and clarity of a top German scope but if it can't take an accidental drop the scope's worthless. Anyone have both here?

I seen a lot of the Cronus BTR vs gen 2 Razors but not the Gen TWO Cronuses, which is why I made this thread. I have the Razor HD and I love it, but I just want to know how the Cronus gen 2 compares as I may want to try something different, but I just didn't want to give up anything in the clarity, repeatable tracking and physical durability areas. You can have all the repeatability and clarity of a top German scope but if it can't take an accidental drop the scope's worthless. Anyone have both here?

Gen 2 Cronus has zero functional difference from Gen1....i reviewed them a while back when Athlon sent me them. Reticle is different and some cosmetic changes is it....exact same glass, etc..

Now, Ive had my 1 Gen1 and 2 Gen2 CronusBTR's for a while now... and I literally sold my Gen2 Razor yesterday. Gen3 Razor on order...

I prefer Cronus APRS6 floating center dot...durability and clarity is great for the money. I give the ever so slight, and I mean ever so slight edge to Gen2 Razor in clarity/low light.

Both are excellent optics in their price range.

Last edited:
    Here the original post when the Gen2 came out...

Gen2 got updated turrets....went from brass internals to SS internals for firmer clicks....

"Talking to them 2 weeks ago, they are not ETR turrets. They are new turrets that are SS. The reticle was also updated (APRS6) and ergos on mag ring, etc were updated. I had zero complaints with my 2 Cronus BTR Gen1 turrets..."

Here the thread with all the info, pictures, comparisons, etc

I have a cronus btr gen 2. The eye box is incredibly tight on Max magnification, so much so that I likely wouldn't buy another.
    I like everything else about the scope, the reticle is a bit fine for my old eyes, but no more so than the razor. That's not the scopes fault, just an old age thing.

I have a cronus btr gen 2. The eye box is incredibly tight on Max magnification, so much so that I likely wouldn't buy another.
    I like everything else about the scope, the reticle is a bit fine for my old eyes, but no more so than the razor. That's not the scopes fault, just an old age thing.
    Do you have a gen 2 razor or have looked through one? How does that eyebox compare?

Do you have a gen 2 razor or have looked through one? How does that eyebox compare?
    I do not have one, I evaluated one a few years ago but it was the 3-18.
    I find myself cranking the mag to max so I can make out the reticle.
    If you have good eyes, you can run it lower and not have too much of an issue.
    The glass quality is quite good, the parallax adjustment is very stiff, but very precise.

I have both first Gen Cronus and Razor Gen 2 and I disagree that the eyebox at max mag is better on the Razor. If anything, I find the Cronus easier to get behind in mid range magnification and I rarely use 29x I might use 25x for load development but that’s it.

Reactions: Schütze
    I have a Razor gen 2 / ebr 1 on a Vudoo 3/60 and a Cronus gen 2 arps 6 on a RimX. Very difficult to decide which one I prefer. Love the Cronus for the fine reticle at higher magnification (even with my old eyes). Love the ebr 1 for being open (no tree). Did run the Cronus in a couple of matches and hat no issues with elevation or windage turrets bumping. l think there is no need to have them locked or caped. Athlon upgraded the internals to stainless.

I realize everyone hunting the next new better scopes but I seriously think the razor gen2 is still one of the best out there and so is the Cronus gen2. Can’t go wrong with either.

Pick the one with the reticle you prefer.

Didn’t notice the big eyebox difference others are describing, will compare on Wednesday at the range.

Run a 527 ZCO on my 6.5 creed and dislike the thick reticle at high magnification, it covers spotting misses and impacts at 1000y. Could be just me…. I have a xtr pro coming, will see how this compares. It looks very promising especially for $1900….

Reactions: st1650
    I have a Razor gen 2 / ebr 1 on a Vudoo 3/60 and a Cronus gen 2 arps 6 on a RimX. Very difficult to decide which one I prefer. Love the Cronus for the fine reticle at higher magnification (even with my old eyes). Love the ebr 1 for being open (no tree). Did run the Cronus in a couple of matches and hat no issues with elevation or windage turrets bumping. l think there is no need to have them locked or caped. Athlon upgraded the internals to stainless.

I realize everyone hunting the next new better scopes but I seriously think the razor gen2 is still one of the best out there and so is the Cronus gen2. Can’t go wrong with either.

Pick the one with the reticle you prefer.

Didn’t notice the big eyebox difference others are describing, will compare on Wednesday at the range.

Run a 527 ZCO on my 6.5 creed and dislike the thick reticle at high magnification, it covers spotting misses and impacts at 1000y. Could be just me…. I have a xtr pro coming, will see how this compares. It looks very promising especially for $1900….
    You should be pretty happy with the XTR Pro. I spend a few minutes behind one and I felt it was a wee bit better glass than the Cronus and Razor and I liked the reticle even tough I'm not a huge tree fan. I'm also running a EBR1 reticle on my Razor.

Reactions: Schütze
    I've got a couple of the Cronus Gen 1, don't have any issue with the eyebox at max power, that being said, dial it down a bit and it's much better. They have my favorite reticles, both the cross and the dot work really well.

Reactions: st1650