• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 1-6x24

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
I’m looking for some feedback on this scope from anyone who has used it. There doesn’t seem to be much info out there on this particular LPVO but it looks promising for the price. I’ve heard this is a LOW Japanese scope which is a big plus for me since I’ve been pleased with my LOW made Delta Stryker 1-6.

I’m curious to see if this scope trades blows with the Razor Gen2 E 1-6 and how the brightness of the illuminated reticle compares to the gold standard Razor.

Last edited:
Bummer. I’m surprised no one here has tried this scope. Seems like a good deal for what your are getting. The only drawback seems to be the lack of a true daylight bright illuminated reticle like the Razor.

Just buy it from a return friendly dealer such as Midway USA or Optics Planet who even send you a prepaid return shipping label so you're never out of any money in case you end up hating it.

Tract Optics has a demo Toric 1-8x24 LPVO for 25% or 30% off last I checked 2 days ago and it's also made in Japan and has a 30 day money back guarantee but am unsure if they offer free return shipping. I think it was between $600-$700. Nevermind it's already sold. Just checked it now. The new ones are $994.00 or 15% off if you're law enforcement or military or first responder either active or retired.

I like my Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 but the Tract Toric 4.5-30x56 is better and in fact it's the only Tract Toric scope I ended up keeping out if 3 total I wouldn't personally recommend their 4-20x50 Toric I had two and sent both down the road since they were good but not great for the price they cost even when they govon sale for under $1000. Both are made in Japan by LOW. I'm unsure if the current Athlon Cronus LPVO is still made in Japan though since Athlon has been moving over to China for their Cronus Spotter and Binoculars.

Last edited:
I had a pair of the G1s, where I don't know if the G2s had any real improvements. They were very nice, but I don't have any Razor experience to make a direct comparison.

I thought they had a great optical system, with a very flat 1x, clear edge to edge image and very good resolution. The objective ring doesn't "disappear" like some, but it's not far off. Look at the attached images of the Cronus & PA PLxC.

The illumination is daylight visible, but I wouldn't call it bright. I was a bit surprised as the high magnification Cronus gets too bright... The reticle is nice since there are wind holdover along with the BDC; where the drop subtensions are the same as the Vortex JM-1 reticle.

The exposed and locking turrets were neat, the elevation zero stop was nice but not really necessary. The mag ring benefited from a throw lever.

I only replaced them to save some weight. They finally corrected the advertised weight, mine were both 21.6 - 21.7 oz.

Attachments

• PXL_20230312_150818407~2.jpg
    PXL_20230312_150818407~2.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230312_150905105~2.jpg
    PXL_20230312_150905105~2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 45
I have one, a Gen2, and like it. Thats the simple response.

More detailed is that I'm a bit of a LPVO collector, and while I am gravitating to higher end and also FFP, also love a good deal. Which is how I came to the Athlon.

For me, my eyes, and my rifle presentation, it worked *really* well. Thin bezel, clarity, and easy ergonomics. None of this is scientific nor well quantified. I also like the reticle for a SFP. The zoom ring is very smooth.

However, for a 1x-X optic, I really prefer bright illumination. My eyes just seem to want it, even over a well-designed reticle. And on this, the Athlon falls short. Id rate the Athlon's 11 setting at the Vortex 8--I think the batteries are both new enough. Its 11 setting is just shy of the PLxC's top setting of 10. Or maybe they are about equal but the PA has a bit more that lights up. Despite its shortcomings/ compromises, I love the brightest-Ive-seen NF NX8.

For awhile the Athlon was on a 556, and then a 308 and now is sitting it out on the bench as I figure out how I want to use it...