• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus BTR Killflash / ARD / Honeycomb

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hi,

I got access to range that is directly towards sun and started thinking I need make the picture better.

I investigated and found out ARDs are useful. Then I begun to investigate which ARD will fit on my Athlon Cronus. I tried searching here but no found no info. Luckily on ebay Tenebraex KillFlash ARD Black 56NFCC-ARD was described as combatible.
    So it seems the Athlon scope objectives, at least the Cronus series, use the same threading as Nightforce scopes. This is very good piece of information for me.

I went to buy one and tested that it indeed fits. I like it very much, it allows to look very close to the direction of light and not get any light effects.
    I also put some VC3 on the threads so it sticks, works very well, it is still very much removable and adjustable but won't budge unless maybe 3-5lb is applied.

2022 edit - photo added

Attachments

• 20210419_100745.jpg
      20210419_100745.jpg
      463.1 KB · Views: 392
    Last edited:
    I use a Nightforce NXS (p/n V310) sunshade on my Cronus. Which makes sense as they are both LOW manufactured.

It has been a couple of years, but when I bought the Tenebraex ocular side flip cover (listed as a fit) it did not fit my Cronus BTR. I suspect maybe there was a slight diameter difference from when Athlon first released the Cronus versus the Cronus BTR that came later. I could not tighten the adjustable band tight enough on the BTR to keep the scope cover on the scope.

Good news with that experience was I learned I’d wasted money all these years worrying about the ocular lens on scopes. They don’t ever seem to get dusty/dirty/scratched in normal use anyway.

Oh, I should add my experience was with the Cronus BTR where the threads, OD and color/texture all matched between the sunshade and scope.

It has been a couple of years, but when I bought the Tenebraex ocular side flip cover (listed as a fit) it did not fit my Cronus BTR. I suspect maybe there was a slight diameter difference from when Athlon first released the Cronus versus the Cronus BTR that came later. I could not tighten the adjustable band tight enough on the BTR to keep the scope cover on the scope.

Good news with that experience was I learned I’d wasted money all these years worrying about the ocular lens on scopes. They don’t ever seem to get dusty/dirty/scratched in normal use anyway.
    Damn I would miss my ocular cover quite quickly, the rain pools to the eyepiece without it.

There is practically no color difference between the finish of Cronus and Tenebraex either, they seem very flush. On the picture I can spot some slight difference.
    Soz for big images, I cannot edit their size due to some bug. / Fixed
    20210407_172211.jpg

Last edited: