• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Cronus vs Vortex AMG for new AR build?

SleepDoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I have just about got all my parts together for an AR build and now deciding on glass. I have an AMG currently on another rifle and happy with it. I have not seen a cronus so looking for advice between the 2 for use on an AR. Will be everything from 300-1000ish steel I'm guessing. I realize the AMG is about 500 dollars more but I have just read so many good things about Athlon recently. Has anyone had both?

Is weight a concern?

That's what I was going to ask. To my thinking, if it's a small frame AR, go with the AMG. If it's a large frame (.308, 6.5CM, etc.), then a 34mm optic would be fine. Smaller 34mm optics are OK on a small frame AR, but something like most 5-25x (or similar) 34mm optics just look out of place and add too much weight.

Either way, I'd still go AMG if it were me, but then again, I've no experience with the Cronus, so I may be baised. I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y (and quite by accident) piecing together a precision small framed AR, and will go with a mid-power 30mm optic such as the LRHS/LRTS or similar. Lighter weight, more than sufficient mag range.

I've owned both of these optic at the same time, though glass quality is very similar, the AMG is the better optic hands down. More features for your money and WAY WAY WAY better turrets.

Reactions: YotaEer
AMG is better in all respects except mag range. I like the Cronus a lot, but it's a value optic and not really a direct competitor at the alpha-level glass like the AMG.

I have owned/shot with both a decent amount.

Yes, it will be a small frame AR. Seems everyone made the choice easy enough and will just get the AMG. I have not seen a athlon optic in person so figured I would ask.

Athlon does what they do good. Just don't ask for either end of the spectrum. They are smart to focus on the crowd that goes for the good enough.

The AMG is a bad mamma jamma

I'm very pleased with the Athlon Cronus scopes I've got on my three 22RF repeaters - couple of jelrod converted 40Xs & V-22 - as well as one on a Bighorn 6 Dasher. Only experience I've had with an AMG is in a gun shop, looking out through their glass front, but I came away with a positive opinion of it. Didn't do a bunch of twisting the turret knobs on it, but if I were looking for a scope for a small frame AR, I'd seriously consider the AMG. Nothing wrong with the Cronus - especially optic quality & tracking, which are very good - but the turrets have softer, less distinct clicks than those of the AMG. Main thing to me is that any 34mm scope looks a bit over-sized on a small frame AR - it took me awhile to get used to the look of 30mm scopes on a couple of my AR15s. I also have several Athlon Ares BTR scopes on custom rifles, and would not hesitate to use one on a small frame AR. No doubt the AMG is a nicer scope than the Ares BTR, but it sure ought to be, at a cost of almost three times that of the Ares.

Reactions: Brent baggett
My opinions are based on checking these out in stores not actual use so take it for what it's worth. The glass on each is close the overall feel of the scopes by way of how the turrets and all other controls felt are not close the AMG felt night and better to me here. Considering the price the glass on the Cronus was impressive but the turrets were mushy as hell. Being as that it's an AR scope I'd put the midpower MK5 on the list as well I thought it was on par with the AMG even though I didn't care for the TMR but I did like the feel of the MK5's turrets better than the AMG. Leupold needs to get a clean tree style reticle in the MK5 not everyone likes Hours.

Last edited:
The Cronus is a top performer under 1800. Vs over 2k optics its a compromise. It would be huge on a small frame AR.

Cue the March detractors... But I’ve got a 3-24x42 MIL mounted in a Bobro QD that I swap between a 16” carbine and 20” AR. The weight, size and glass is ideal. The reticle though is plain Jane - I much prefer the EBR reticle. There’s one listed here for $1700 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
I have an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 x 56 and I also have a Vortex Razor Gen II HD 4.5-27x 56.
I shoot each scope almost daily , or several times per week at a minimum. Both are good scopes but I like everything about the RAZOR better. The glass , the reticle , and especially the feel of the turret knobs is definitely better on the Razor!

Not experience with the AMG, but I also run a Cronus BTR & a Gen2 Razor. They both track spot on, the glass to my eyes is extremely close (with a slight nod to the Cronus because of a little less chromatic aberration). The illumination is tits on the Cronus too. The turrets definitely leave a lot to be desired in the Cronus whereas the Razors turrets are sweet! Both are great scopes but I do plan on getting an AMG too one day. If I were looking to put one on a small frame AR, I’d go AMG just because of cosmetics, though I’ve run my Cronus on my 6.5G AR15 and it didn’t look bad at all IMO.

For a small frame AR AMG or something like a NF4-16 or MK5 3.6-18 would be my choice. I have a LRHS 3-12 on a SPR style AR that I like a lot.

Now I do have some thoughts on the AMG/Razor/Cronus...

In a pure scope comparison I have been comparing the AMG, Razor and Cronus for a long time.

I had a first gen Cronus that I got at the cabelas sale. I used it for a month or two then sold it to my father for one of his rifles. I bought it on a flyer really just for him because it was a great deal. However after a few trips to the range I really liked the floating cross.

I got to spend a day behind that Cronus and a Gen2 Razor on my one of my father’s other rifles. No clear winner. I was expecting to like the Razor way more, I had been planning to upgrade to one for a few years.

I just got a used Cronus BTR, and I’m pretty happy with it so far. The thinner reticle is great.
The turrets are much better than the first Cronus. They are feel similar to my gen1 Razor 5-20. The detent on the BTR feels just a little bit heavier.

I know it wasn't one of your options, but if you are looking for a top-notch light-weight scope. There's no competitor to the Leupold Mark 5. But between the Athlon and vortex, Cronus seems built better but AMG is much lighter with a better reticle.