• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 6-24x56 or Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 for rimfire

Packfan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Reno, NV
Considering the new Helos BTR Gen 2 6-24x56 for my Ruger/Kidd 10/22 rimfire. Was pretty much decided on the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 until I came upon the Gen 2 Helos.

Any input is appreciated.

I think in the turret department the G2 Helos will win out. Simple and distinct with little lash.
Also it focuses down to 10Y in case you ever wanted to shoot that close.
Then there's the APRS6 mil reticle as well.
The glass in the SE I tried was pretty good but the Helos should be similar.

I highly recommend looking at the Midas Tac 6-24x50. Recently put one on my 223 trainer and am amazed at the value. Glass is super clear, turrets are excellent, and the APRS3 reticle is perfect IMO.

Reactions: Lesco Brandon
I think in the turret department the G2 Helos will win out. Simple and distinct with little lash.
Also it focuses down to 10Y in case you ever wanted to shoot that close.
Then there's the APRS6 mil reticle as well.
The glass in the SE I tried was pretty good but the Helos should be similar.
Thanks Steve. I am also looking at the Helos for an AR and appreciate your feedback there too. For the rimfire, I am not as concerned with the glass as 300 yards will likely be the outside limit, but better turrets are always a plus. This is a tough call as I have had good luck with my other Vortex's. I know other on the Hide have not.

I highly recommend looking at the Midas Tac 6-24x50. Recently put one on my 223 trainer and am amazed at the value. Glass is super clear, turrets are excellent, and the APRS3 reticle is perfect IMO.
That is another great option. It is $250.00, or so, more than the Helos and SE and I will need to justify that much for this rifle. The Kidd 10/22 is a great shooter and has done well in a few matches with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 on board, but I was hoping to get by for less.

I have a buddy who has the 6-24x50 Midas Tac and it has been great for him. I wanted to move up to a 34mm tube to get a little more room for elevation or I would have already jumped on the 6-24 Midas Tac.

That is another great option. It is $250.00, or so, more than the Helos and SE and I will need to justify that much for this rifle. The Kidd 10/22 is a great shooter and has done well in a few matches with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 on board, but I was hoping to get by for less.

I have a buddy who has the 6-24x50 Midas Tac and it has been great for him. I wanted to move up to a 34mm tube to get a little more room for elevation or I would have already jumped on the 6-24 Midas Tac.
The 6-24x50 Midas Tac is only $70 msrp more than the Helos and cheaper than the SE. It has as much elevation as the helos despite the 30mm tube.

Sorry I missed the 6-24x50 reference. I was also looking at the Midas Tac 5-25x56 which is more. I know the 6-24x50 is a great scope and may be the right fit for this rifle. In re-looking at the specs, with a 20 MOA scope base there should be plenty of elevation to get out to 300 with .22LR.

If you plan to shoot 300yards, Midas Tac 5-25 if you have the extra coin for sure. 100%

Most of the shooting will be at 100 yards or less, but we do put a gong at 300 and lob .22LR at it for fun. Its a good challenge when the wind is up.

I have a 25 moa base on my 457. With medium rings I have 61 moa up with a 50 yard zero. On the RAR with low rings I have 63 with a 50 yard zero. Both Midas Tac 6-24x50. That should let you dial to about 350 with standard velocity ammo.

Thanks for the data. I have a 20 MOA base on the rifle now. I haven't measured actual velocity yet, but I am typically running SK Standard Plus or Match that has a standard velocity of 1,073 FPS. With this load, Strelok indicates I need 13.3 Mil elevation at 300 yards.

Athlon specs 25 Mil total elevation available with the 6-24x50 Midas Tac. 50% of 25 = 12.5 Mil plus 20 MOA = 5.8 Mil, for a total of 18.3 Mil. So I should have plenty of room. Does this sound right?

I shoot SK Standard Plus in both rifles mentioned above as well as using StrelokPro. 47 MOA puts me to 300 yards. I’ve verified off a bench. If I do my part I can hit clays with this dope.
I’m not sure if the mills translation, but I would think that you should have no trouble getting there.

I shoot SK Standard Plus in both rifles mentioned above as well as using StrelokPro. 47 MOA puts me to 300 yards. I’ve verified off a bench. If I do my part I can hit clays with this dope.
I’m not sure if the mills translation, but I would think that you should have no trouble getting there.
Roger that. In Strelok, the Mil conversion is 45.7 MOA, so darn close to your numbers.