• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Helos BTR?

AHart76

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Haubstadt, Indiana
Looking at an Athlon Helos BTR 6-24FFP to top off my 10/22 build. Can't find any good reviews on one from a reliable source tho. Anyone on here have one? Opinions? On the reviews on amazon a lot of people compare it to the Gen I PST, is this a good comparison? I have a gen I pst and really get frustrated with the tight eye box on higher powers. Does this scope do the same? Is it something I would have to live with unless I go to a $2000+ scope? Just need some more questions answered, Thanks!

I was hoping someone else would respond but I'll give a short and quick .02c.

A friend has been using one since springtime. Compared to my Argos BTR the Helos is a step up in quality. I noticed right off that the Helos turrets were superior in feel and lining up, plus they lock and they go down to locked position without snagging unlike some other LT scopes I've had costing twice as much.

The Helos scope he has definitely has better glass than my Argos.

I usually don't have problems with eyeboxes and I didn't notice a tight eyebox in the Helos. I had a Bushnell with a wonky eyebox which for that scope meant I needed to be looking more low and left in the eyebox, there was something wrong with it, the many other scopes I've had were fine in that aspect. Just saying that proper scope height, eye relief setup, and familiarisation can make all the difference with perceived eyebox problems.

Last edited:
I will second what steve123 says. The helos is a great optic. The only thing I wish it had was a zero stop. The locking turrets are tactile and align great (both an improvement over the argos) . The glass is clear and remains bright through the power range. My experience with the Helos is limited to looking through it on a fixture and not a rifle (the only model I have is for sale). I plan on purchasing one for my grendel gas gun.

I will take some pictures tomorrow, pm me if you would like them.

***Edit*** the updated g2 helos btr line only got better with the addition of a zerostop and better locking turret. For a sub $600 optic it performs very well.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: carolinahunter
Post em up on this thread! I'm sure others would like to see them! It seems like a good fit for my 10/22 build for the money. A zero stop would be awesome, but I understand at that price point you are giving up some of those luxuries. The eye box getting tight on my PST really frustrates me. I have contemplated selling it to upgrade to a razor for the better glass quality and zero stops. Gen II PST's look promising, but had to get ahold of. Will probably wait till early next year to see what new before buying anything!

There are about twenty videos on YouTube testing every aspect of them. I do not have one but will be getting my hands on one soon for my backup rifle. I liked what I saw.

I haven't tried to get any of the Helos scopes in to re-sell, but that's mostly because I had seven of the Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scopes in stock that I needed to sell. However, for the guys who're just getting their feet wet in more advanced shooting scenarios with their 22RFs, the Helos would definitely be more attractive at $570 than an Ares would be at $850.

I shoot 22RF PR matches with several guys who are realizing they need better scopes on their rifles to allow them to both see some of the smaller targets at extended range, and to have reliable tracking. Like me, they didn't feel the need for better scopes when they were just plinking at tin cans with their rifles, but as soon as they got into a more competitive scenario - with targets from 25yds out past 200yds - they realized how handicapped they were by their scopes' limitations.

I have an Ares on one of my own rifles - an older M70 pushfeed with a Krieger in 6x47, in a Manners T4A stock. That scope has been very good, both in optical quality & tracking. It'd also make a very good scope for 22RF, and does have an easy to set zero stop. I'm awaiting delivery of a new V-22 action, and since buying another Cronus 4.5-29x56 scope for it is not in the budget, I'm probably going to mount one of the Ares scopes on it when I get it barreled & bedded into its Manners Elite T4A stock.