• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Midas CF32 Tripod Review

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Athlon sent me a Midas CF32 Shooting Tripod to test out. This is a telescoping carbon fiber leg tripod with a heavy duty ball head. The ball head features Friction Control, Fluid Pan Control, Ball Lock, and ARCA/Swiss compatibility (the popular photography mounting system).

For a recoil and function test, I mounted my 20″ Aero Precision AR15 DMR to the tripod. The found the friction control knob allowed me to precisely adjust my rifle and cinch down the main locking knob confidently on target. There was just enough flex to make fine adjustments in aim. The tripod kept me pointing on target for quick and precise follow-up shots. This was such a pleasure to use compared to the BOG Great Divide tripod head I tested last year which could not keep my rifle level after the first shot.

I hope to use this in my next benchrest rimfire match if the directors let me. I don't know what class that would put me if I'm not actually on the bench when shooting?

Athlon makes this tripod with a 40mm, 36mm, and a 29mm ball head. The larger size ball heads can handle larger and heavier rifles. Available at Optics Planet and hopefully your local gun store. https://shrsl.com/3im33

::Originally published on my blog moondogindustries.com::

Reactions: Big Don
I purchased the CF36 a couple of months ago, and other than it being a bit on the heavy side, it is a great tripod. As a matter of clarification, the numbers do not refer to the ballhead size, rather to the leg thickness at widest point. I bought the 36 as it has the same 40mm ballhead as the 40 (numbers again refer to the legs). My CF36 is just shy of 8 lbs. One nice part of this tripod is it comes fully equipped with a hammock, leveling head AND ballhead (leveling head makes for more stable rifle shooting albeit while giving up some adjustability in my opinion), spike feet and rubber feet as well as a shoulder carry attachment which helps me move the tripod from stage to stage at PRS events. I really like this tripod over the aluminum ones I have been using up to this point.

Attachments

• Athlon CF36.jpg
    Athlon CF36.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 146
Have you been able to use this rig in a match setting yet?
Sorry for the late reply but no, my 10:30am Sunday choir schedule keeps conflicting with my range's Match schedule so I've been a no-show at the matches for most of this year. :-(

I purchased the CF36 a couple of months ago, and other than it being a bit on the heavy side, it is a great tripod. As a matter of clarification, the numbers do not refer to the ballhead size, rather to the leg thickness at widest point. I bought the 36 as it has the same 40mm ballhead as the 40 (numbers again refer to the legs). My CF36 is just shy of 8 lbs. One nice part of this tripod is it comes fully equipped with a hammock, leveling head AND ballhead (leveling head makes for more stable rifle shooting albeit while giving up some adjustability in my opinion), spike feet and rubber feet as well as a shoulder carry attachment which helps me move the tripod from stage to stage at PRS events. I really like this tripod over the aluminum ones I have been using up to this point.
Thanks for the clarification. I was misinformed by the coincidental match of ballhead and leg thickness size of the CF40.

Reactions: JeffreyD
What clamp are you using on the leveling head? Ive got the 40mm but can't find an ARCA clamp that will take that single center screw.

I am ashamed to say I am using a $20 arca clamp from Amazon. It works fine. You can buy a RRS clamp, but they are expensive.

What clamp are you using on the leveling head? Ive got the 40mm but can't find an ARCA clamp that will take that single center screw.
It's an Athlon ball head on the tripod (though I don't know the OEM). Most 40mm photo ballheads screw onto tripods with a single 5/8 threaded screw like this one: https://amzn.to/3ggPw07

@JeffreyD
If that $20 clamp holds zero with your rifle on it, go for it. More power to ya!

Last edited:
I have purchased a couple of the Leofoto clamps and rail sections to adapt my bipods and other gear and they all work well.

It's an Athlon ball head on the tripod (though I don't know the OEM). Most 40mm photo ballheads screw onto tripods with a single 5/8 threaded screw like this one: https://amzn.to/3ggPw07

Right. I've got no issues with the ball head, I just wanted to try out the leveling head but haven't found an ARCA clamp that will fit it. Maybe I'm missing something, this is my first tripod besides some small vortex go passing set ups.

I'll get a pic in a few and post it.

Got ya. I hadn't tried pulling the clamp off the ball head. I assumed it wasn't threaded because the ball head has the screw going in from the top. Guess I'll have to experiment.

I pulled nothing from the ballhead. I bought a Lephoto clamp. Keep in mind that you have to adjust the center screw depth so as to not interfere with the rail, and then use the set screw in the head to lock it down. I used blue locktite everywhere to ensure no backing off unless I meant it.

Reactions: sam4886
Also, it may be obvious to everyone else, but I called Athlon about the missing bowl that the leveling head swiveled in. The said check the compartment at the inside of the case above the ballhead. There it was

I pulled nothing from the ballhead. I bought a Lephoto clamp. Keep in mind that you have to adjust the center screw depth so as to not interfere with the rail, and then use the set screw in the head to lock it down. I used blue locktite everywhere to ensure no backing off unless I meant it.
I track you now. Thanks for walking me through it.

Any idea what thread/screw size that center screw is? Or are they pretty much standard?

They usually are two flavors and come with both. The bigger is 3/8 I believe but don't remember. They are mostly standard and fit cameras and other optics

Has anyone tried to replace the top plate on this tripod? I wanted to use this on both my AR and Bolt Guns. I use a picatinny on all my AR's. I like the really right stuff top plate that take both arca and picatinny. I am not for sure if the holes or hole are in the correct place? I know some folks have done this swap on the Vortex mode tripod. I wanted to get the Athlon over the vortex. Thanks for any input everyone might have.

Reactions: timofey zayats
Has anyone tried to replace the top plate on this tripod? I wanted to use this on both my AR and Bolt Guns. I use a picatinny on all my AR's. I like the really right stuff top plate that take both arca and picatinny. I am not for sure if the holes or hole are in the correct place? I know some folks have done this swap on the Vortex mode tripod. I wanted to get the Athlon over the vortex. Thanks for any input everyone might have.

I am picking my brain on this, but pretty sure a single center screw is what attaches the arca clamp to the ball mount head of the tripod.

Shoot an email to Athlon. I always hear back from them in a day or two.