• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Midas Tac vs Arken EP4

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Looking to put something on my Tikka .223 trainer. Mostly shooting at 100-600 yards, occasionally out to 800 yards. Both scopes look pretty solid for the money. I really like the Arken EP4 EPR Reticle, the funnel kinda reminds me of the Zero Compromise funnel (wayyyy out of my price range). Thoughts on how the two stack up against each other.

As far as the pre 2021 Athlon TAC 4-16, the reticle is very thin, I didn't like it. Big fail on their part by listening to someone who didn't know shit about reticles.

I like the Arken EP4 quite a bit!

One data point to consider: thin reticles help when zoomed way in and shooting at long range. Just something to consider. I have a Leupold MK5 and sometimes at 1700 yards those dots are just a tad large and can obscure a target a bit

It's like this with FFP,
    a .025 mil line thickness is okay at 24x, getting harder to see on 16x, and stupid hard to see on 4x. Everything is a compromise right?!

Usually one buys a mid magnification scope/4-16, so they can hopefully use/see the reticle on 4x occasionally, right?!

Now try a .05 mil reticle thickness, not too thick on 24x, fine on 16x, and seeable on 4x. It's twice as thick as .025 mil.

Let's say a dot is .1 mil which is very thick but used quite often these days for holdoff dots at the full mil. At 2000Y that dot obscures 7.2". Is there anybody really missing a 24" plate because of that dot???

Now those huge friggen numbers labeling the mil or moa lines just off the vertical crosshair, THAT is what's obscuring! But people don't mind them which I've never understood.

Reactions: Millron