• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon reticle question

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
Is the reticle on a Conus BTR as thin as the Midas TAC? Long story short, I finally got the wife out to the range over Christmas and she did really good. My rifles didn't fit her very well so I decided to try to put together a cheap, used rifle for her. If she likes shooting I'll get her something better later. For glass I bought an Athlon Midas TAC off the exchange and I have found that I really like the floating dot APLR reticle. The reticle is noticeably thinner than the one in my PST II and I really like the way you can bracket round steel with the 1 MOA gap in either side of the dot. Since I only shoot paper and steel and don't hunt anymore I want to convert my 223 bolt gun over to a range toy. I need to replace the plain crosshair reticle Zeiss HD5 with something with subtensions and I'm thinking about going with a Cronus BTR. I like how thin the lines are on the Midas, but its a non-illuminated scope, will the Cronus being an illuminated scope have the same thin lines or will the illumination require they be thicker? The literature on the Atlon site doesn't say how thin the lines are and none of the local shops that carry Athlon have a Conus in stock.

Not positive but I think all the dot reticles, cronus, ares etr, midas tac are the same.

I would check out the ares etr over the Cronus...a couple nicer features, the illuminated reticle is pretty thin but I don’t know the exact measurements, I bet @gr8fuldoug could answer specifics.

I don't have, nor have I ever looked through a Midas. I do have two Cronus BTR's (4.5-29) in MOA and MRAD ... and I can tell you that the reticle etching is VERY fine. It's helpful on light backgrounds, and difficult on any darker or shaded background ... where I have to illuminate to target correctly. The illumination is super bright and works well with the etching. Used this scope for a 1,500 yard shot last summer. Great glass, perfect tracking ... best compliment I can pay to the scope is that I never thought about the thin etching on the reticle, until you asked this question. Hope that helps.

You must have a Gen 2 PST 3-15. The thick reticle is my favorite thing about the scope. The 5-25x50 Gen 2 PST has a very thin .03 mil reticle. If you like the Vortex, find you a 5-25 and you will be good to go.

You must have a Gen 2 PST 3-15. The thick reticle is my favorite thing about the scope. The 5-25x50 Gen 2 PST has a very thin .03 mil reticle. If you like the Vortex, find you a 5-25 and you will be good to go.

Nope, 5-25x50 PST II bought about 6 months ago when they were on clearance when the new EBR-7C reticles were coming out. I never said the reticle was thick, only that the Athlon was thinner and the more I use the floating dot the better I like it.

Nope, 5-25x50 PST II bought about 6 months ago when they were on clearance when the new EBR-7C reticles were coming out. I never said the reticle was thick, only that the Athlon was thinner and the more I use the floating dot the better I like it.
Thats a new one to me. The Razors have a .03 mil thick reticle. I don’t know of any thats thinner. The specs don’t show the athlon to be thinner but You are looking through them side by side so you should know.

I'm envious. I have the older Cronus and the thick cross at the center of the reticle drove me crazy. I bought a Delta Stryker in SFP to replace it. Never a single regret, except now I have a scope I don't need.

I'm envious. I have the older Cronus and the thick cross at the center of the reticle drove me crazy. I bought a Delta Stryker in SFP to replace it. Never a single regret, except now I have a scope I don't need.
I have an original Cronus.
no complaints with the reticle at all.