• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon scope problems

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I have 2 Athlon Ares ETR 1-10 scopes and I really like them. Until I turned on the illumination.

It looks like this.
    20220826_065848.jpg

The general red glare is because my hand is over the front of the scope, but those spots are all over the inside of the scope.

What the hell causes this?

Athlon says scopes that are spray painted are not covered under the warranty. Has anyone returned a scope that was painted and had them replace it for obvious mfg issues like this? Because if I don't have to go at it with a toothbrush and citristrip I don't want to.

• Wow
    Reactions: ken226
    On the Athlon site it does state:

Please note that any altering of the products, such as Duracoat, hyrdo dipping or spray painting, will void the warranty. Cosmetic alteration of Athlon Optics must be completed by a certified Cerakote applicator (found here: https://www.cerakote.com/find-applicator).

The reason, IMO, that they clearly state this is guys who try to Cerakote and mess up ruin optics.

Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, and let me see if I can reach out to someone there and get this looked at for you (I don't care if you bought it from us or elsewhere. We are a supporting vendor here and we will support you)

Like absolute dogshit. All those glowing specks in the pic actually glow red when the scope is used. I took some citristrip to it and the paint came off easier than I thought. You can't even tell it's been painted, so I'll go ahead and send it in.

Thanks though Doug. You are always my first recommendation to folks looking for optics.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
    Has anyone returned a scope that was painted and had them replace it for obvious mfg issues like this? Because if I don't have to go at it with a toothbrush and citristrip I don't want to.
    Yes. They sent a new scope and never mentioned the paint.

Reactions: MK20
    Did they say what caused this? I am assuming the new one does not. I have a couple of their scopes that Ill have to check.
    I had a different issue with mine. An illumination wire came loose and was hanging inside the scope.

I got the replacement scopes back from Athlon today. One was just as bad as before. The other was far worse. I specifically asked them to please check before they sent out the scopes as they told me that they had poorly polished glass in the ones I sent in. Apparently this is the type of service you can expect from Athlon.

Here is a pic I just took in a dark closet through the REPLACEMENT scope I got today. These imperfections are CLEARLY visible in daylight conditions, too.
    You can see all the spot imperfections in the glass.
    20220912_150852.jpg

@koshkin and @gr8fuldoug to hopefully lend some weight and advice on how to help me help Athlon UNFUCK THEIR WHOLE WARRANTY DEPARTMENT AND QC SYSTEM.

I am so unbelievably pissed at this lack of giving a fuck. Some person in the warranty department was like, "Oh, we have a bad batch of glass in our 1-10 line. We need to send out some replacements." I get that. It happens, no issues. That same person must have thought, "Should I check to see if the new scopes have the same problem? Nah! Even though we admitted we had a systemic problem there is absolutely no reason to check replacement parts for that problem."

What fucking morons.

I will be calling Athlon tomorrow to see if I can maybe find someone over there who can figure out how to deliver a serviceable product.

I will post here with updates as to how this goes. Because if this is how this company does business then everyone on the Hide needs to know so they can NEVER do business with Athlon again. I will give them one more chance.

• Wow
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    I sent two of the 1-10x scopes back due to the reticle wobbling while the mag ring was turned. They said it was acceptable. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks guys. I spoke to the warranty manager today and he said they may have sent out bad scopes instead of the proper replacement ones. He sent me a label so it goes straight to him this time. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys. I spoke to the warranty manager today and he said they may have sent out bad scopes instead of the proper replacement ones. He sent me a label so it goes straight to him this time. We'll see how it goes.
    That doesn't exactly inspire any more confidence in Athlon. How the fuck do you send customers defective scopes a second time? One would think they would pull the bad scopes so there is no chance of them getting in customer's hands again :confused:

Hate to hear that. I've been loving my Athlon scopes, I did have an issue with one, turn around was slow but got it sorted but all warranty issues are slow up here in Canuck land (aside from MDT)

Yeah, once some folks with a level of responsibility at Athlon got wind of what happened they actually went way out of their way to make it right.

It seems that they really got screwed by their glass supplier for the 1-10. They had to look through 20 "good" scopes to find one with no issues. They just got a new shipment in that passed initial inspection and they are doing a deep dive into the new batch to make sure the issue got resolved. They probably don't want me to say that but I'll be straight up with you guys here.

Bottom line: They got royally fucked by a glass supplier and didn't catch it. They are now aware of it and made it right by me after a small mistake. So overall, I am pretty happy. If you go to buy a Athlon 1-10, just adjust the diopter, turn the illumination on and cover the obj lens with your hand and you will see if it is good to go.

Here is the PM the Athlon CEO sent me:

Hi MK20,

Hope this finds you well! First of all please accept my apology for the product issue that has caused frustration and bad experience to you. No excuse to our side of the business. It should not happen in this way. Since day one of Athlon Optics, providing ultimate customers' satisfaction has been our No.1 goal and we have been working really hard to achieve that. Regarding to the 1-10 scope problem you posted, we have identified a small batch products that are in question and held shipment already. For your particular case, our warranty service team fumbled and failed meeting our standard. I have told our warranty manager to reach out to you to rectify the problem and we will get everything right for you. Again ensuring 100% customer satisfaction is our life time commitment to every single customer of Athlon Optics! We appreciate your business and willingness to give our product a try!

Please feel free to reach out to me and I will be all ears for future feedbacks and suggestions for improvement!

Best Regards!
    CEO of Athlon Optics

I got the replacement scopes back from Athlon today. One was just as bad as before. The other was far worse. I specifically asked them to please check before they sent out the scopes as they told me that they had poorly polished glass in the ones I sent in. Apparently this is the type of service you can expect from Athlon.

Here is a pic I just took in a dark closet through the REPLACEMENT scope I got today. These imperfections are CLEARLY visible in daylight conditions, too.
    You can see all the spot imperfections in the glass.
    View attachment 7955111

@koshkin and @gr8fuldoug to hopefully lend some weight and advice on how to help me help Athlon UNFUCK THEIR WHOLE WARRANTY DEPARTMENT AND QC SYSTEM.

I am so unbelievably pissed at this lack of giving a fuck. Some person in the warranty department was like, "Oh, we have a bad batch of glass in our 1-10 line. We need to send out some replacements." I get that. It happens, no issues. That same person must have thought, "Should I check to see if the new scopes have the same problem? Nah! Even though we admitted we had a systemic problem there is absolutely no reason to check replacement parts for that problem."

What fucking morons.

I will be calling Athlon tomorrow to see if I can maybe find someone over there who can figure out how to deliver a serviceable product.

I will post here with updates as to how this goes. Because if this is how this company does business then everyone on the Hide needs to know so they can NEVER do business with Athlon again. I will give them one more chance.

I honest to goodness through this was you being sarcastic and put a picture of off some sci-fi movie up... This was a serious post..

I own several... had one returned ... lost tracking...no other issues... I actually like their illumination... but yours definitely looked stellar... hope it gets resolved..

Update:

So after a long saga of trying different 1-10 optics, I have as much hope of getting a good one as I do of converting Fauci into an anti vaxxer.

So I asked Athlon if they would just swap me for 2 of the 3-18x50 ETRs instead. They did which was awesome.

I got them in the mail yesterday and the one I have unwrapped so far looks great.

So while their 1-10 line is complete dogshit, their CS made it right and sent me two different scopes that look like they will be awesome.

• Haha
    Reactions: Genesis1984
    Ok, update to the update:

Got the second scope out and put a battery in. Adjusted the diopter and turned the illumination on. It has glass imperfections that show up as little red dots throughout the FOV of the scope just like in the 1-10.

AT THIS POINT, CONSIDER ALL ATHLON GLASS AS SHIT AND AVOID ACCORDINGLY.

Reactions: Ubaderb
    Man... sorry about that. I just ordered one of those... if I have any trouble ... will holler at ya and see if I can get us both help as I am in k city and am friends with one of employees and just text him if I need anything. Or I will try to help you if I can if mine works well and you want it.

Man... sorry about that. I just ordered one of those... if I have any trouble ... will holler at ya and see if I can get us both help as I am in k city and am friends with one of employees and just text him if I need anything. Or I will try to help you if I can if mine works well and you want it.

When you get yours, adjust the diopter to your eye, put a battery in, crank the illumination up, and go in a dark ish room and look through it. I bet you will see glowing red pixie dust in your FOV.

I have only seen 2 out of 8 scopes that didn't have it, and one of those two has a center dot that wasn't etched round and the turret mil lines didn't match up with the indicator line but were half way off.

I'll probably keep the good scope and I just posted the other for sale in a hunting forum for 850 where the guy who buys it won't ever probably use the illumination anyway, so he will be happy with it.

Seeing as how Athlon makes you pay for return shipping and I have already done that 2 out of 3 times I have had to return this stuff, I would rather just dump the scope at a loss instead of continuing to deal with a company that is so horrible it KNOWINGLY imports and sells blemished glass to its customers.

Every time I call them they say something to the effect of, "We'll take care of it" and then they just ship me out more blemished Chinesium shit and think that will make it right.

Whoever is doing their QC must be barely able to stand after gobbling down a whole tray of pot brownies.

Yep... don’t blame ya... I just made a choice about 10 years ago to try and get my scopes the same... and chose athlon because they offered first focal that were affordable to me.. so over the years I have just got their scopes... have 4 ares btr... but this will be my first etr... so I am hoping for the best. Got it from cameraland ...sorry you have had so much trouble... lots of good scope options these days... hope yours works out for you in future.

I had to go home and check mine. I’ve got 4 different Athlon at home and none of them have this issue. I will admit I have had some other problems that they rectified.

I went through that crap with the argos btr 6x24 . I didn't expect much it was for a 22lr . after about 1 month the parallax adjustment went south I sent it back and they sent me another gen 1 , in less than 2 weeks the same thing happened I sent it back , they sent me a new improved model the gen 2 version . I sold it new in the box , never opened it .

Reactions: Stoweit and MK20
    Thanks for sharing, made me crack the safe and check my illumination on some comparable priced scopes, as I don’t rule out a night match or varminting in the future.

I went through that crap with the argos btr 6x24 . I didn't expect much it was for a 22lr . after about 1 month the parallax adjustment went south I sent it back and they sent me another gen 1 , in less than 2 weeks the same thing happened I sent it back , they sent me a new improved model the gen 2 version . I sold it new in the box , never opened it .
    My issues were also parallax on those same scopes, 2 also. First time was on a 300 RUM so I had chalked it up to not being up to the task but second one went on a 22 Creed so after that I also sold the replacement.

Reactions: sparky702
    Here’s my Ares 1-10, this was a new one sitting on eBay for $750. I also checked my 6-24 Helos and 2-12 Helos and saw a couple “irrelevant” specks that have previously not been seen in 2 years of match shooting. I had returned a Tango4 twice because there were visible specks without illumination, and my Helos specks are NOT visible on low illumination. You will never be on max illumination in pitch black, which is the only time the Helos specks were visible. If this is the case for others’ Ares ETR specks, it’s annoying but not an issue in reality.

Other than that, this is my first “UHD” semi premium scope so I’ll be comparing it to cheaper LPVOs I’ve owned (PST, PA, Burris, Sig, etc). What I immediately notice is that a near target comfortable diopter adjustment is also proper for far target focus. Cheap LPVOs are super finicky and need separate settings marked. Also there is a certain radius from the center of the FOV that is “perfect” flat image on 1x, where maybe the outer 20% is distorted. On cheaper scopes it was 50% or more outer radius distorted. Vortex if I recall was nearly 0%.

Attachments

• AAB67303-C774-403A-BED9-9ED521212B91.jpeg
      AAB67303-C774-403A-BED9-9ED521212B91.jpeg
      440.6 KB · Views: 74
    I ran Athlon for my first few years of shooting. I was pleased, but didn’t know any better. I ran a Cronus Gen II when they first came out and it stopped tracking during day one of a national championship match. That was the end of Athlon optics for me. I do like their tripods though for the value.

I know it's an old post but I just checked my 3-18. I saw around 4 pixie dusts on low end magnification (1 by corner). Must have cranked illum to be seen. Nothing like the OP.

Obviously not a big deal for my sample.

Just stick with their Ares BTR Gen 2 $565-$612 (until just today the 4.5-27x50 were under $480 on Amazon with 20% off discount code whatever $612 less 20% comes out to be) and Midas Tac 4-16x $500 or less and 6-24x $500-$530 or less then you're GTG and never buy them at typical normal street prices and only buy them when they go on sale or hunt for the best deals from Walmart online and Amazon sometimes Optics Planet with discount code and Bonus Bucks incentives or DVOR if you don't want to wait for their holiday sales such as Black Friday Cyber Monday. Sometimes dealers make surprise markdowns as open box demos even though they are still brand new sealed to get around the strict manufacture selling guidelines. There's also several over the phone price negotiable friendly dealers too. It's totally insane to pay regular price for any Chinese made optics IMHO even if you're filthy rich. They're literally made for pennies on the dollar.

I never bought their ETR line since I could never justify their cost for Chinese made optics. I really think $500-$600 should be the absolute maximum that anyone in their right minds should spend on any Chinese made scope regardless of brand. Keep in mind they typically cost around $100 or less in fact mostly less believe it or not shipped from China to whatever USA company.

That glowing red fog on maximum illumination reminds me of the really crappy Leapers UTG 8-32x56 I have and an NC Star I HAD. Yes it's a cheap scope and made in China equal to the Hawke Sidewinder 30 at the time but way cheaper. At least it's better than my Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 in optical clarity though as long as the illumination isn't maxed out.

• Haha
    If you got fucked over by Athlon WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO TO THE BBB BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ONLINE AND FILE A FORMER COMPLAINT SO NO ONE ELSE GETS BUTT FUCKED OVER AS YOU DID AT LEAST WARN EVERYONE TO AVOID THE ARES ETR LINE AT ALL COST.

I really wanted to post a bunch of honest complaints to the BBB after Athlon refused to upgrade me after I expressed my total dissatisfaction regarding two of their shitty Argos BTR 6-24x50 scopes to their warranty customer service people maybe I still should just to warn everyone to avoid their Argos BTR due to their shitty glass.

It's for a forever documentation for the entire world to read so nobody else gets screwed over for the same thing.

Blanket statement regarding Athlon and their entire line of Chinese optics isn't beneficial nor called for because you haven't personally tried them all yourself.

I personally own 7 Athlon scopes and another 2 more Midas Tac 6-24x50's just bought yesterday from a very nice seller for $700 for 2 in like new/as new with boxes etc including extras such as flip up lens covers and bubble levels and even a sunshade thrown in for another scope I have. Aside from the 2 shitty Argos (which are actually supposed to be shitty anyway as per Athlon customer service) I have zero complaints regarding QC and reliability and I've even used the shitty Argos on heavy recoiling guns and they don't seem to want to break. A buddy of mine wants to sell me his Athlon Argos ARE YOU SHITTING ME??? But for really dirt cheap because he thinks it's pretty shitty too.

SO JUST AVOID THE ARGOS 6-24X50 AND ARES ETR 3-18X50 AND 1-10X.
    I'd say just avoid all overpriced Chinese Athlon Ares ETRs regardless if they're on sale because they're still a huge ripoff when they go on sale. Remember they are STILL MADE IN CHINA.

I can personally vouch for the Midas Tac 6-24x50 when paying $450 new or $350 used including extras and the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for $565.49 brand new haven't had any issues with any of mine. Perfect repeatable reliable tracking with fantastic glass and very hard to believe THESE SPECIFIC SCOPES were made in China. My only nit pick is they don't even include lens covers or a sunshade and must be purchased separately for additional cost.

In any case buy Chinese made scopes including these Athlons ONLY WHEN they have ridiculously cheap sale prices or buy them used when you find really good deals and only from trusted respectable sellers. I think it's totally insane to spend more than $600 on ANY scope made in CHINA. They probably cost around $100 give or take to manufacture in CHINA with all the slave labor and inhumane working conditions going on over there that's why you see bad batches here and there.

If you got fucked over by Athlon WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO TO THE BBB BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ONLINE AND FILE A FORMER COMPLAINT SO NO ONE ELSE GETS BUTT FUCKED OVER AS YOU DID AT LEAST WARN EVERYONE TO AVOID THE ARES ETR LINE AT ALL COST.

I really wanted to post a bunch of honest complaints to the BBB after Athlon refused to upgrade me after I expressed my total dissatisfaction regarding two of their shitty Argos BTR 6-24x50 scopes to their warranty customer service people maybe I still should just to warn everyone to avoid their Argos BTR due to their shitty glass.

It's for a forever documentation for the entire world to read so nobody else gets screwed over for the same thing.

Blanket statement regarding Athlon and their entire line of Chinese optics isn't beneficial nor called for because you haven't personally tried them all yourself.

I personally own 7 Athlon scopes and another 2 more Midas Tac 6-24x50's just bought yesterday from a very nice seller for $700 for 2 in like new/as new with boxes etc including extras such as flip up lens covers and bubble levels and even a sunshade thrown in for another scope I have. Aside from the 2 shitty Argos (which are actually supposed to be shitty anyway as per Athlon customer service) I have zero complaints regarding QC and reliability and I've even used the shitty Argos on heavy recoiling guns and they don't seem to want to break. A buddy of mine wants to sell me his Athlon Argos ARE YOU SHITTING ME??? But for really dirt cheap because he thinks it's pretty shitty too.

I'd say just avoid all overpriced Chinese Athlon Ares ETRs regardless if they're on sale because they're still a huge ripoff when they go on sale. Remember they are STILL MADE IN CHINA.

I can personally vouch for the Midas Tac 6-24x50 when paying $450 new or $350 used including extras and the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for $565.49 brand new haven't had any issues with any of mine. Perfect repeatable reliable tracking with fantastic glass and very hard to believe THESE SPECIFIC SCOPES were made in China. My only nit pick is they don't even include lens covers or a sunshade and must be purchased separately for additional cost.

In any case buy Chinese made scopes including these Athlons ONLY WHEN they have ridiculously cheap sale prices or buy them used when you find really good deals and only from trusted respectable sellers. I think it's totally insane to spend more than $600 on ANY scope made in CHINA. They probably cost around $100 give or take to manufacture in CHINA with all the slave labor and inhumane working conditions going on over there that's why you see bad batches here and there.

You like athlon. I get it. It's OK. We can't all make smart choices all the time. It's like dating a stripper. You know you shouldn't but it is fun.

The reason I posted here is because the BBB is not the shooting community, which is the target market of Athlon. Snipershide is the shooting community. Now it is here for all to read for as long as they want.

Go be butthurt somewhere else.

You like athlon. I get it. It's OK. We can't all make smart choices all the time. It's like dating a stripper. You know you shouldn't but it is fun.

The reason I posted here is because the BBB is not the shooting community, which is the target market of Athlon. Snipershide is the shooting community. Now it is here for all to read for as long as they want.

Go be butthurt somewhere else.
    I only like CERTAIN ATHLON SCOPES and ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE A VERY CHEAP SALE never recommend buying ANY ATHLON ANYTHING at regular prices.

Still recommend you file a complaint with the BBB if you really want to save a lot of idiots from buying the Ares ETR lines of scopes based on your first hand experience scopes. For real I'm serious about this and not being sarcastic. The only BBB complaint filed about Athlon Optics is a customer stated the ETR turrets didn't feel equally the same regarding windage and elevation and didn't like they weren't exactly the same clickiness.

Damn you sure do get touchy when someone doesn’t respond to your chinesium ramblings for a few months.

Why would he waste his time filing a meaningless complaint to the BBB? Do you think the “JuSt As GoOd” crowd like yourself that’s brainwashed in fanboyism would give a single fuck? No they wouldn’t.

I only like CERTAIN ATHLON SCOPES and ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE A VERY CHEAP SALE never recommend buying ANY ATHLON ANYTHING at regular prices.

Still recommend you file a complaint with the BBB if you really want to save a lot of idiots from buying the Ares ETR lines of scopes based on your first hand experience scopes. For real I'm serious about this and not being sarcastic. The only BBB complaint filed about Athlon Optics is a customer stated the ETR turrets didn't feel equally the same regarding windage and elevation and didn't like they weren't exactly the same clickiness.
    Dude, what's with the all CAPS? Is that you yelling or what?

Reactions: Scopeye
    I have 2 Athlon Ares ETR 1-10 scopes and I really like them. Until I turned on the illumination.

It looks like this. View attachment 7942119

The general red glare is because my hand is over the front of the scope, but those spots are all over the inside of the scope.

What the hell causes this?

Athlon says scopes that are spray painted are not covered under the warranty. Has anyone returned a scope that was painted and had them replace it for obvious mfg issues like this? Because if I don't have to go at it with a toothbrush and citristrip I don't want to.
    Unskilled forced Chinese labor in unsterile environments...

Damn you sure do get touchy when someone doesn’t respond to your chinesium ramblings for a few months.

Why would he waste his time filing a meaningless complaint to the BBB? Do you think the “JuSt As GoOd” crowd like yourself that’s brainwashed in fanboyism would give a single fuck? No they wouldn’t.
    BBB's function and job is to assist victims in mediation towards a positive resolution when companies that ripped you off doesn't give a flying fuck after they took your hard earned money and screwed you from behind.

If they agree to an amicable resolution that satisfies the pissed off customers, they did their job, if not, they give the companies an F rating just like how Bushnell currently has for screwing over so many customers mostly over not honoring their written warranty promises.

Athlon Optics has an A+ rating even with one complaint specifically about an Ares ETR.

If you're one to accept getting bent over and screwed royally after spending so much money then it's up to you to just eat it and remain silent and don't post anything on the BBB but there are people out there who like to or rather remain silent and laugh at all the idiots getting screwed over by the same company when they could have warned them all but chose not to.