• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Talos BTR 4-14?

Potsy

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2019
Nothing really detailed or recent on here about them. Anyone have any experience with them?
Just bought a Ruger American .22LR (short, heavy barreled model) and need glass for it.
I'd thought for a long time I'd like a SWFA 10x MQ on a .22, but with those not really being an option right now, I started looking at other scopes.
I like the size, mag range, feature set, and reticle of the Athlon and it hits the same price point as the SWFA.
Just wondering how it performs in terms of glass, zero retention, and tracking (where the SWFA is nearly bombproof).

I understand that you can only expect so much out of a $300 scope, and yes, I'm aware it's Chinese.

Thanks!!!

Out of all my Athlon scopes, it's the only one I don't enthusiastically recommend. The turrets have very mushy clicks (even after removing o rings), they make no sound at all, and you can barely feel them. The reticle is slightly on the thick side, but the thickness makes it more usable at 4x. If you don't dial, or don't mind the mushy turrets, it's fine. Glass isn't bad.

Reactions: Maddog51
Out of all my Athlon scopes, it's the only one I don't enthusiastically recommend. The turrets have very mushy clicks (even after removing o rings), they make no sound at all, and you can barely feel them. The reticle is slightly on the thick side, but the thickness makes it more usable at 4x. If you don't dial, or don't mind the mushy turrets, it's fine. Glass isn't bad.
How old is your Talos BTR? I just pulled one out of our case to check on this, and the turrets are plenty audible (quite loud, actually) and they have a decent feeling when turned.

OP, if you need help with this purchase, I would be happy to have a chat with you about the Athlon line up.

Last edited:
Reactions: gr8fuldoug