• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATI and Tangent Theta Sales Guy Interview (and talk on glass sources)

slowjunk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
I watched this interview with the Sales guy from Tangent Theta and I thought it was very interesting and nice for them to do.

There was a discussion about glass and the sources for the glass that starts at 29:26 in the video. It seemed to get to the point that when a scope manufacturer sources the finished ground and polished lenses from a country like Germany that in actuality the basic glass itself may come from multiple different countries and that is hard for even the scope manufacturer to tell. Did I hear that explanation correctly or incorrectly? I am newbie to this topic so education is nice.

Reactions: JulianD
I think that's pretty accurate.

Glass out of Asia for example, could come from any number of Asian countries. Japanese glass may not have originated in Japan.

But the final polish and finish is what matters far more than where the glass component originated. We don't judge the quality of an automobile based on where the steel came from.