• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas Bipod Canting Range

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been using the Atlas bipod for a while now and I have to say that I do like it, especially with recoil. The bipods ability to absorb some of that recoil is a plus in my book.

Now with that said the one feature I feel its lacking is the canting range it has. The Harris bipod I had mounted on my rifle before had the canting feature, and it had enough range in it that no matter how uneven the ground was it allowed me to level my crosshairs and tighten it up so the weapon wasn't flopping left and right.
The Atals doens't have that feature for the most part. It has very little left and right canting range, and when one loads the bipod that small amount of can;ting is further reduced to almost nothing. So if there's a slight unevenness in the ground the shooter can't really level his crosshairs.
So far this is the only lacking feature this really good bipod has. In this respect I wish they had the same adjustment or range the Harris bipod has.

Last week I was out shooting with some guys and we were shooting from a runway. The outer sides of the runway slightly slopped to the outside but this was enough to can't my reticle. With the current Atlas setup I wasn't able to level it and keep it there. I have to say it was a real distraction from the task at hand.
I know what some will say, that one wont be able to always get a perfect setup before taking a shot, and I agree completely with this statement, but that's not my point.

I called Atlas today to see if they had anything in the works about this and I was told no. As a matter of fact they said I was the only one to bring this up. To be honest i was a bit surprised by that, I'm not sure why, but I was. Maybe because I was use to my Harris and I thought this to be a common feature, and one I took for granted to be honest. We live in a very uneven world outside our perfect little square ranges. LOL

Has anyone else came across this issue, or is everyone shooting from a perfectly level platform? I'm really curious.

Re: Atlas Bipod Canting Range

I've only shot off a level platform once in the last year or so. Granted I've only had my Atlas for a small part of that time, but I haven't had any problems. I just checked my bipod and I can keep the legs fully retracted and put one leg on a 1.5" tall book (estimated) and still level the rifle with just the pivot. Any higher, just extend a leg and repeat.

I'm also curious what you mean when you say the cant adjustment decreases when you load the bipod. Mine definitely does not.

Rickp- thanks for your business and sharing your observation. The Atlas has 15 degrees of CANT in both directions and 15 degrees of PAN in both directions. This was the requirement for the SCAR program. Does it seem like your Atlas has the 15 degrees +/- CANT?

I have no idea how much CANT other bipods have and I won't speak to others experience but we do have a few customers that actually use the Atlas in their profession practiced abroad, away from square ranges.

Kasey,
You're right there is cant but once you load the bipod one loses that cant, at least 90% of it.

If I take that forward pressure off and the rifles is centered on the ball or pivoting point (not sure what you guys call it) then one get the full amount of cant back. And that's the big issue I see with it. Otherwise it's not that big a deal.

Try it and tell me if you get the same results. I can film it with my phone and email if you need me to.

Thanks

I just tried it with mine and I can't see what you are talking about. I can put mine at full cant and load the bipod as hard as I can. Likewise, I can load the bipod first, then cant the rifle fully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just tried it with mine and I can't see what you are talking about. I can put mine at full cant and load the bipod as hard as I can. Likewise, I can load the bipod first, then cant the rifle fully. </div></div>

I just did the same. I get the same amount of cant with or without pressure on the bipod.

Here is a video were I'm trying to show what is happening to me.
Once the load is on the bipod, My left and right range is reduced severly.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tG-EuMmMIA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tG-EuMmMIA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mine does the same thing when I push it far forward, hard. I've never found any reason to load it that much though.

I tried what you did in your video, and I had to load it HARD to get the cant to lessen. The Atlas doesn't take much to load it. Is there such thing as overloading a bipod?

What happens if you cant the rifle first, then load it? Does it move back to center?

Yes it does for the most part. Thats what happens, I cant the rifle if I need to and then when I load the bipod I lose that angle as the rifle wants to center again.
To be honest I never felt that I was loading it a lot, I just did it like I was taught at RO. Lift the stock up and tuck it into the shoulder to get that pressure.

Maybe you guys are on to something though.

I Have noticed the same thing with my Atlas.
It did not do this when it was new, and my buddies Atlas does not do it either.
I tend to preload pretty hard, and over time I think somthing wears or streches.
The Atlas is a very nice product and I have a couple thousand rounds over mine before I started to notice this(like I said I preload heavy).
I wonder if a guy could purchase a rebuild kit of sorts.
I dealt with Atlas once before and CS is great.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Good way to describe it also, I pre load the bipod.

Interesting though that your friends doens't do it. I wonder if this is happens to just some bipods and not to others.

Also I'm only loading the bopid until it slides or just before that point. I still lose 90% of my cant.

Here is the problem. When the bipod is not loaded it can use the whole pivot point to cant, but when loaded the pivot mount moves back as well and almost makes contact with the mounting block of the stock.

Here are some images showing what I'm trying to describe.

No Load
Bipod1.jpg

Loaded.
Bipod2.jpg

Interesting-- yes clearly it's hitting the frame of the atlas. I've shot the Altas for a while and never noticed this problem. I shoot in competitions and in the desert where we are in all sorts of weird positions. I'm going to have to test this out.

Thanks for the info Rick.

MV

Honestly, to get mine to do it took what I considered to be really excessive pressure for loading. With the atlas there's no reason to push it that hard, more doesn't equal better recoil management or anything. All I can suggest is loading it less and I bet you'll find it does everything you want.

Mine initially did as well, however now it takes very little forward pressure to almost totally eliminate cant. I believe mine is simply wore out.(and justifiably)

Have several Atlas bipods and tested a couple. They all do the same thing. That being said, what shooting position are you in that you would need that much cant as opposed to having one leg longer than another? I have shot comps, classes, desert, high angle, etc. Have yet to find a position where that "limitation" has been the deciding factor if I can make the shot or not.

Rickp - that is the result of heavy loading. The contact of the Base with the Mount is now acting as a fulcrum, adding more leverage which will eventually overcome the strength of the 1/4" Pivot bolt and break.

I'm not going to tell anyone what is right or wrong when it comes to loading pressure on a bipod, what I will say is FOR ME I load until I KNOW I control the forward pressure of the rifle and stop.

okay so now I watched the video.

Who loads their bipod before getting on target?

Again, I'm no instructor but I spot target, acquire target in scope and load into bipod gain control and work the trigger.

It doesn't take a lot to load that bipod and get to that point. I can just push it with my finger and I'm there.

As far as when I load the bipod? when I aquire the target, the same way I was shown at RO. Maybe others with formal training can tell us how they were trained.
I know how to setup behind the rifle and load the bipod, that's not the issue, so lets not go down that road. I'm not THAT guy. So moving on!

For those that have access to onbline training Lesson 1 look at the second video with frank. At the 44 sec into the video you;ll see what I do, same thing he does. lowers the stock to the showlder creating that load.
Link
Load Bipod

So what I'm hearing is the pivot point is worn?

Chiller is also saying that he has a few of them and they all do it. It doesn't take much cant to run out when the blocks make contact like shown.

Also, I just shot from a runway, yes a runway, they're not very uneven. So to load the bipod, have the bipod block make contact the way it's shown above and still not be level, that's not a lot.

Regardless, it is what it is. I haven't abused this bipod at all and I'm not applying so much load to wear out what I would think is a very solid metal piece.

I'm just showing what is happening to me. Maybe Frank of Jacob can chime in since they have a lot more exposure to bipods.

I regularly shoot with Jackinfl. He can tell you how much I load the bipod.

R.

RickP, I understand that as demonstrated it takes very little to move the bipod into the position.

Your demonstration also shows cant before and after loading with the absence of cant after loaded, right?

What I'm confused about is how does that happen in actual use?

According to your video, you load the bipod/rifle then adjust for cant.

I don't know anyone that does that.

I adjust for cant, then ease into or load the bipod.

Am I missing something here?

I don't know if it's the professional way but here's my sequence. Now, I've not had any formal training, this is just they way I do it and haven't had the problem your talking about.

Position everything to get natural point of aim and the cant out
Tighten bottom knob on bipod
Load bipod and fire when ready

I'm not sure I'm following you, but let me see if I am.

I'm not sure when I load the bipod is the issue. It should be 2 different axis. One is forward and back the other being left and right. One shouldn't affect the other. Now that's not the case here because of what is happening mechanically.

What I did notice in the online lesson, is that my legs go way further back than on either video on the lesson, and IMO that's the problem. My legs go so far back that the pivot block and mounting block are making contact. The result is I loose all left and right cant.

Let me try to explain why I don't think when I load the bipod makes a difference here since the end result is them same.

Regarless of when I load the bipod the end result is the same, almost not cant range. For the sake of explaining, if i cant first then load the bipod, what happens is as I apply that forward pressure the rifle wants to straighten itself out, I slowly lose the amount of left and right cant. So by the time I get to fully loading the bipod I've lost almost all of it.
If I load after, then I don't have the full cant range to begin with.

Let me ask you something. If I machined the lower or upper block to create some space where it contacts would that resolve this? If not is this repairable?

Have you tightened the knob on the bottom of the bipod after you get the left/right cant out of it. Tightening that might keep the fore/aft movement to a minimum. When I load my bipod, I am just putting slight pressure on the legs themselves.

My question is why are we loading a bipod that is not designed to be loaded like a Harris? Everyone knows that it is mandatory to load the Harris on a heavy recoiling rifle or it will fall on its muzzle. The Atlas has locking notches in it so that you can get behind the rifle and lay down some serious fire without worrying about the muzzle going in the dirt. I have had no issues with cant on the Atlas very solid system. Every system has its pros and cons. The Harris is fast to deploy but not stable unless you load it. The Atlas is slower to deploy but damn rock solid.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks to me like your legs go way farther back when loaded than mine. I load the Atlas pretty hard and I've never seen the issue you have described/shown. However, I usually keep the tension knob snug enough that I have to put a little force into it to cant the rifle. Do your legs move that far back with the tension knob tightened down more firmly?

Rickp,

It's a ball joint, no separate axis for pan and cant.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Let me try to explain why I don't think when I load the bipod makes a difference here since the end result is them same.</span>

I doubt that when new the bipod was new, it functioned as it does now. The CURRENT status is, under heavy loading the Pivot Bolt has stretched resulting in this contact. (I suspect that with the Tension Knob tight, it is still loose.)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Let me ask you something. If I machined the lower or upper block to create some space where it contacts would that resolve this? If not is this repairable?</span>

Please, no machining, all you will accomplish is moving the "point of contact" that will soon be made as the Pivot Bolt stretches under heavy loading until it breaks.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time you have asked about or mentioned repairing this bipod, is this right? To be clear, we stand behind our products 100%, no matter what. If you return it, we will gladly inspect, repair and make whole again your bipod at no charge.

Again, it's not for me to tell anyone how to shoot but I have never felt the need to load a bipod, any bipod, that hard. All I want to do is gain control over the rifle, not rape it.

You don't say, but it also looks like that is a .338 LM, is this the case?

Atcually its a 308 AW.

Ok so no machining LOL!!!

I understand its a ball joint but its still has 3 axis, forward/rear and left/right cant and the third being yaw (panning), which in this case is not an issue. The axis is still there regardless of joint, whether ball or pin or whatever machanism is used to achieve it... They should still work free of each other without one affecting the other. Which a normal bipod supposedly does. Mine not working like new does not, so the ball joint is the limitation due to it's failure, in this case the alleged overloading of the bipod. Now one can't go forward (fore/aft axis) without affecting left and right (lateral axis).

As far as repair goes, i thinks that's a good idea. If you really think this was done by careless use I have no problems to man up and pay for the repair so I'll leave it up to you.
I'll contact you by phone and we'll go from there.

It is what it is but FWIW, I know what's it is to be hard on gear, and I wasn't hard on this piece by any means. I have used it to lean into a pieces of cover for support in conjunction with a bag, but I never expected that to be an issue with a $300 bipod.

Regardless, let's get this one back to how it should be working and call it a lesson learned.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking the same thing. Looks to me like your legs go way farther back when loaded than mine. I load the Atlas pretty hard and I've never seen the issue you have described/shown. However, I usually keep the tension knob snug enough that I have to put a little force into it to cant the rifle. Do your legs move that far back with the tension knob tightened down more firmly? </div></div>

Yes, actually I keep the tension pretty tight as well and with time it got to what you see.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Now one can't go forward (fore/aft axis) without affecting left and right (lateral axis). </span>

I think this is due to the contact of the base and mount, right?

Please don't mis-understand me, I am in no way saying you intentionally used the bipod in a manner to force it to fail, I'm simply saying your shooting style can include the result we see. So no challenge to your manning up, in no way do I read you like your looking for charity, just looking for input which is fair enough.

To be clear, I don't care how any of our products get broken, we will repair it at no charge.

My ONLY interest in learning how things break is to see if there is a design weakness we can improve on. Nothing more, nothing less, we owe it to our customers to do this.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, actually I keep the tension pretty tight as well and with time it got to what you see. </span>

As I suspected, the ability to add tension through the Tension Knob is mostly non-existant as the Pivot Bolt has stretched.

Ho old is this unit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Now one can't go forward (fore/aft axis) without affecting left and right (lateral axis). </span>

I think this is due to the contact of the base and mount, right?

Please don't mis-understand me, I am in no way saying you intentionally used the bipod in a manner to force it to fail, I'm simply saying your shooting style can include the result we see. So no challenge to your manning up, in no way do I read you like your looking for charity, just looking for input which is fair enough.

To be clear, I don't care how any of our products get broken, we will repair it at no charge.

My ONLY interest in learning how things break is to see if there is a design weakness we can improve on. Nothing more, nothing less, we owe it to our customers to do this.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, actually I keep the tension pretty tight as well and with time it got to what you see. </span>

As I suspected, the ability to add tension through the Tension Knob is mostly non-existant as the Pivot Bolt has stretched.

Ho old is this unit? </div></div>

No worries. that was the my whole intent with this, to find out what happened and or even give you guys feed back on what is a great product.
I have no problem ponying up if I'm the cause of something.

To answer your first question, yes it's the contact that prevents the left and right cant.

I double checked the tension again and as far as I can tell, tension still works ok. I can't tighten it to the point that it's almost locked but I think its pretty tight. I guess you guys would have to confirm that it's still within normal operating range.

Just let me know how you want me to proceed or if I can do something to give you more info.

I believe the unit is a couple of years old, but I couldn't tell you how long the pivot point has been streched out.

My Atlas V8 does the same thing. I shoot a .308 as well and I load my bipod as was shown by the online training when shooting from the prone. However I wonder if it has to do with me using the bipod as a brace during off hand and kneeling barricade shooting. This could be the reason for the damage to the components? Until I read this thread I just figured the bipod was "broke in" as it did not act this way when new. Also it does not matter how much I tighten the knob it only effects the cant/pan, not the forward and rearward movement (loading/unloading) of the bipod, there does not seem to be any tension applied to this movement at all. My Atlas is at least a year old and I have shot approx. 1500 rounds with it.

Another note: My Buddy just bought a V8.1 to put on his OBR and I noticed how tight his is and how his legs do not load like yours or mine. In fact his legs stay perpendicular to the rifle under load where as yours and mine most certainly do not.

Interesting.. This might effect my decision to buy a Atlas.. though I doubt I'll be canted too much, that often.. but it's good info!

I have been working my ass off, so this is the first time I came across this thread. As soon as I did, I grabbed the AI with the Atlas V8 out of the safe and got on the floor.

I have never experienced this "issue" in practical shooting, competition, or work.

I loaded the bipod to what I feel is more than adequate and noted that it does not make any contact at the waist. There is still a millimeter or so of clearance. I can still make some cant adjustment with the bipod is loaded.

My Atlas has been fairly well used, but it does not exhibit the contact seen in the photos above.

Remember guys, when we are loading the bipod, you are not trying to plow the field with it. If the feet are rolling/sliding then you are pushing. You just want "dead weight" behind the bipod. This is why I don't run claws, spikes, etc. Now we do have instances where the legs sink and you can apply quite a bit of extra force, but it's not needed to drive the rifle effectively.

I would be interested to see the condition of the bolt when the bipod gets back to Kasey if he should be so kind as to post it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Atlas V8 does the same thing. I shoot a .308 as well and I load my bipod as was shown by the online training when shooting from the prone. However I wonder if it has to do with me using the bipod as a brace during off hand and kneeling barricade shooting. This could be the reason for the damage to the components? Until I read this thread I just figured the bipod was "broke in" as it did not act this way when new. Also it does not matter how much I tighten the knob it only effects the cant/pan, not the forward and rearward movement (loading/unloading) of the bipod, there does not seem to be any tension applied to this movement at all. My Atlas is at least a year old and I have shot approx. 1500 rounds with it.

Another note: My Buddy just bought a V8.1 to put on his OBR and I noticed how tight his is and how his legs do not load like yours or mine. In fact his legs stay perpendicular to the rifle under load where as yours and mine most certainly do not. </div></div>

I'm glad you said something. This is the exact reason I posted this, to see if others had the same issue, even if not many. A lot of times people don't realize that something is up with a piece of gear since the wear and tear on the gear is very gradual.
Maybe this can be helpful to others.

IMO, that pivot point is subject to some wear that eventually leads to that over travel.

Just use our POB and include your return shipping/contact info.

B&T Industries L.L.C.
PO Box 771071
Wichita, KS 67277

<span style="font-weight: bold">IMO, that pivot point is subject to some wear that eventually leads to that over travel.</span>

If you are referring to the Ball Joint as the "pivot point" I can guarantee you that the ball joint is not worn. It is the Pivot Bolt that has been stretched allowing for the movement we see in your bipod.

Katahdin, how old is your Atlas?

"Another note: My Buddy just bought a V8.1 to put on his OBR and I noticed how tight his is and how his legs do not load like yours or mine. In fact his legs stay perpendicular to the rifle under load where as yours and mine most certainly do not."

We seriously listen to our customers and try to convert legitimate feedback into improving our products. We are a small manufacturing firm that strongly desires to have satisfied customers.

Rickp, is our customer, we owe him the best we can offer.

I love a happy ending.

I think my rifle will mount this bipod when I get to the buying bipods stage of my purchases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love a happy ending.

I think my rifle will mount this bipod when I get to the buying bipods stage of my purchases. </div></div>

You won't be sorry, as a long long time Harris/PodLoc user I am super duper happy with the Atlas! I am partial to the "cleat" feet, but would like to try the "spike" feet as well.

I just purchased my atlas v8 last night due to this read and the outstanding customer service noted throughout this thread.

Great feedback from the end user and solid reinforcement by the builder!

I'm also impressed with both parties. I just ordered an atlas iPod, and after seeing how Kasey stands behind his product I'm glad I decided to pony up the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use our POB and include your return shipping/contact info.

B&T Industries L.L.C.
PO Box 771071
Wichita, KS 67277

<span style="font-weight: bold">IMO, that pivot point is subject to some wear that eventually leads to that over travel.</span>

If you are referring to the Ball Joint as the "pivot point" I can guarantee you that the ball joint is not worn. It is the Pivot Bolt that has been stretched allowing for the movement we see in your bipod.

Katahdin, how old is your Atlas? </div></div>

Kasey,
it will be out to you early next week.

Again thanks.

Kasey I bought my Atlas from Triad Tactical on 08/11/10 for a gun Robert Gradous built me. I didn't use it right away, as I was waiting to receive my build. I would say I have been using it since early 2011 so approx. 15 months. I have mounted this bipod on two different rifles since and I know I have shot at least 1500 rounds between the two without looking at my log books.

I just want everyone to know, I love my Atlas and it has never let me down. In fact I have never needed that much cant during shooting when my bipod is loaded. This is why I did not really think it was an issue and it only came to my attention when I saw this thread and handled my friend's OBR with his new Atlas V8.1 (which all happened in the last two weeks). The bipod is smooth during canting, panning, and loading. It does not feel like it is going to come apart or anything.

If someone is on the fence about this I still recommend the Atlas bipod over a harris any day of the week. I have a harris 6-9" swivel/notch/pod loc and it can not compare to the Atlas when shooting movers or on uneven terrain. I can usually watch my impacts on target from 200-300 yards and out with my .308. I can't really do that with my harris until further out. This thing really is a work of art. Also as demonstrated if an issue arises you will be well taken care of.

As far as sending back my Atlas, I have a competition coming up the first week of June and I will probably keep my Atlas on my rifle until after the comp. Then I may consider sending it back to Kasey.

Yesterday after LoneWolf posted I grabbed my rifle and did some positional work at home. If I cranked down on the tension knob it will effect the cant and pan on the bipod just like everyone would expect it to. With the tension knob tightened all the way there is a little tension on the forward/rearward movement of the bipod (load/unload), but as soon as it loosens a little bit there is almost no tension. This is when I loose my ability to have maximum cant when loading the bipod. This is also how I run my bipod as I like to be able to move it around with little effort and then load it before taking the shot.

Rickp, I was able to follow-up with the person you spoke to and have expressed my desire that "OUR" desire at B&T be one of discovery regarding customer calls such as yours. I apologize we did not respond in the phone conversation in a manner that gave you some confidence in our interest in this matter.

I also hope that you understand that just because the person you spoke to had not heard of this issue before in no way reflects on the reality of your experience.

Again, discovery is important to us, you provided that opportunity by calling and we failed to recognize it.

Katahdin, thanks for the information and your patronage. I really can't comment on your friends Atlas as there are several factors to consider to include shooting style. What I will say is we are continually striving to improve our products.

We need to write a warranty for a contract, but in essence it will say we stand behind our products no matter what or how the failure/damage was caused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rickp, I was able to follow-up with the person you spoke to and have expressed my desire that "OUR" desire at B&T be one of discovery regarding customer calls such as yours. I apologize we did not respond in the phone conversation in a manner that gave you some confidence in our interest in this matter.

I also hope that you understand that just because the person you spoke to had not heard of this issue before in no way reflects on the reality of your experience.

Again, discovery is important to us, you provided that opportunity by calling and we failed to recognize it.

Katahdin, thanks for the information and your patronage. I really can't comment on your friends Atlas as there are several factors to consider to include shooting style. What I will say is we are continually striving to improve our products.

We need to write a warranty for a contract, but in essence it will say we stand behind our products no matter what or how the failure/damage was caused.

</div></div>

Hay Kasey,
no worries, really. I never took it like that. Sometimes things happen with gear that manufacturers are not always aware.

This site has a lot of exposure from a lot of people so what better place than to pull from that so we can all benefit from the information, for you as a developer and us as end users.

Rest assure that my opinion of your product and service has not changes and is still held in high regard. I'll keep recommending this bipod and your CS to anyone willing to listen. So again no worries.

R.

FWIW... If you flip your bi-pod around (mount it backwards), you can squeeze some more life out of it.... It doesn't seem to load up as nice, but you get your cant back...

That has been my experience anyway.