• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas Bipod on 700P stock query...

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
So....before the haters hate on my rifle, (it's a .308, double hate:rolleyes:) was wondering what kind of fasteners others have used. Just spoke with the CS at Accu-Shot and they were extremely helpful. Was advised that I can use 1 of the existing studs for the sling (ya'all know what a sling is right...and how to use it..?🤣) but may be able to use any common fastener on the other end of the 3.35" rail so long as it fits properly in barrel channel. It's a stock synthetic so I reckon I'll have to drill a small relief out to get the rail secured. Do members have any favorite type of fasteners they can recommend for my application? I was running a Harris (ah...triple hate..:p) for some time but just got tired of always fighting with it. It's functional but I feel it's time for an upgrade. As always, I would appreciate any advice or direction.

This is the idea.
image.jpg

I dont know about boring out for the Tnuts in an HS stock vs a McMillian or Manners.

If you arent comfortable working on stuff, contact user @jducos
He is the Stock Doc and could do it for you.
Thousands have used his services.

No hate on the .308, I have two 700P rifles and my .308 uses a Harris bipod. The swivel stud limits your options but unless you are setup with a mill and know how to use it, best to send it off as suggested and have it done. As they do many of these, they may have ideas on mounting options that you might not have seen and can direct you to the best option in your application.

Drilling into those HS stocks can be PITA for the average guy. I drilled out the end of one of mine years ago and added a 5” mercury recoil suppressor. I got it done and the tube fit great but if I were to do this again, I would send it out and have it done. I am not sure what parts of the stock might be hollow up forward. Luckily, I had just enough material in the comb section to drill into as there is a lot of empty space in there. I filled in all the hollow areas in the rear of mine.

Which stock do you have? May be as simple as drilling and using a screw with either a standard nut and washer or a t-nut, all of which are usually common at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

We have the Atlas 3.35" and 4" rails and a fair share of their bipods in stock. Happy to help if you need us.

HS stocks are hollow in the buttstock only. The fore end is solid and has an aluminum skeleton that comes forward of the bedding block to where the sling studs are.

So your rifle is a 700 PSS with the wide-forend HS Precision stock? Should have 2 studs already installed at the front with 2" spacing. All you need is a rail with the appropriate spacing and some 10-32 screws.
Post a pic of your stock.

Reactions: S12A
Many thanks members. I probably could have phrased my question more better.... :rolleyes: ...was trying to see if any others ran into this same issue of keeping a sling stud, and if so, what was used for the other fastener? It appears that it is a simple remedy.
IMG_3655.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg
It is a factory original 700P stock, except for the bottom metal for Alpha & Accurate mags. H&S if I am correct. The barrel is a Kreiger 1/11 with the install and blue printing done by Jon at Area 419. This was done back when he had a one man crew....himself. I really want to keep the capability of sling use-I was also concerned if the bipod (QR) attachment would take up all the rail space to preclude use of any fastener unless it is flush to the stock? Speaking of stocks....the rifle shoots quite well but are there other options out there for my action that I should consider? Great, another rabbit hole....o_O

Seekins make a rail specifically for this spacing:

I though B&T did also but I must be mistaken.

Reactions: spife7980
Pretty sure those screws thread into the alloy block so you shouldn’t have any need to do any drilling etc. just get the appropriate length rail and screw into the existing threaded holes.

I really want to keep the capability of sling use-I was also concerned if the bipod (QR) attachment would take up all the rail space to preclude use of any fastener unless it is flush to the stock? Speaking of stocks....the rifle shoots quite well but are there other options out there for my action that I should consider? Great, another rabbit hole....o_O
With either of Atlas' rails (either the BT15 or BT17) you should be able to use the QR (Atlas uses the ADM-170-S) AND still have access to the flush built into it for use with a QD sling swivel.
RAIL WITH FLUSH CUP.jpg