• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod question

Lurp06x

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Looking for a new bipod. I have used Harris for years now and have a lot of them on hand but want to try something more modern. I really like my Harris bipods because Im familiar with them but the cost that I add on to get a bipod attachment adapter and pod lock is getting old.

i have built a few rifles for my friend and he loves the Magpul bipod but I hate how much they move. They have lots of great features but they aren’t very stiff.

Are atlas bipods stiffer or just as bad as the Magpul? The Magpul is not a bad product just not my cup of tea.

Any opinions?

thanks

What are you looking for in a bipod? Are you mainly shooting prone or on a bench? Or are you more positional on props or very uneven terrain?

For closer to Harris type action search on the Hide for the Thunderbeast bipod. Yes it is more expensive than an Atlas. Personally I went Atlas CAL.

It's hard to beat an Atlas CAL, but I really like the MDT Ckey Pod

Atlas Cal Gen 2
Hawk hill talons (bipod feet)

Rock solid combo that puts a Harris to shame. Yes I still use Harris as well. Own 5 of them

Skip the Magpul. Buddy has one. Harris is better IMHO

Thunderbeast is another on my need to try someday list

What are you looking for in a bipod? Are you mainly shooting prone or on a bench? Or are you more positional on props or very uneven terrain?
Mostly just shooting prone

I will have to try the Atlas Cal then!

Reactions: DUTCH84
Atlas Cal Gen 2
Hawk hill talons (bipod feet)

Rock solid combo that puts a Harris to shame. Yes I still use Harris as well. Own 5 of them

Skip the Magpul. Buddy has one. Harris is better IMHO

Thunderbeast is another on my need to try someday list
They probably weren't out yet when you bought yours but the Atlas feet are awesome. Sorry but the No Dye CAL was a limited time offer from @Kasey. He is Atlas. I've got the rrs lever clamp on mine.
20201010_163858.jpg

Reactions: SourMash
I was taken back the first time I saw how much an Atlas costs. In hindsight I should have bought one years earlier. It's easily one of my most used items and it's solid as a rock. It's been one of the best investments I've ever made.

Whoever asked above about what you want out of the bipod is right on. The Atlas can be a little slower to deploy (like in some competition styles) but the overall adjustability is way more. It all depends on what you do and what kinds of shooting you do.

I have six Harris BRMS notched leg bipods and they have been just what I needed. The Atlas is a great bipod; well made and very versatile. Bipods, like most other things we utilize, are a personal choice. There have always been aspects of the Atlas that bugged me (personal preference). I've owned several but just never got all warm and fuzzy with them. Maybe it is just the fact that I've been a Harris user for 30 years or more and just don't know better.
I recently bought the Atlas CAL just to give them another shot. It has, to this point, "fixed" most of the things that turned me off before and
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Reactions: Lurp06x
I have an Atlas prs. The only thing I don't like about it is the panning feature and I'm going to send it back to bts. As you pan, the tension knob will rotate which screws up the cant tension. I've ordered the cal based on what the guys have talked about here. Atlas customer service has been great, so you won't regret your purchase.

I also had a TBAC bipod which I didn't like at all. Just seemed to have an excessive amount of distance that it would have to travel for loading compared to the Atlas.

I will say the folks at TBAC were very understanding and didn't hassle me on the return or crediting of money. They are good folks and very professional. I can see why so many here on the Hide like this organization.

Reactions: shoot4fun
I have Atlas PRS and recently got a CAL version (gen 2). I was surprised that CAL version has some play in locking mechanism while PRS has none. I am referring to play in all 5 positions (front and back folded, both 45 and 90). Is that by design or I have a defective bipod? Is it designed for front loading CAL bipod? I was planning to use CAL bipod with ski feet and ABR (adjustable bag rider), but since legs have play in them it now has two flex points per leg (at the folding pivot and at the ski foot) which creates uneven movement

Looking for a new bipod. I have used Harris for years now and have a lot of them on hand but want to try something more modern. I really like my Harris bipods because Im familiar with them but the cost that I add on to get a bipod attachment adapter and pod lock is getting old.

i have built a few rifles for my friend and he loves the Magpul bipod but I hate how much they move. They have lots of great features but they aren’t very stiff.

Are atlas bipods stiffer or just as bad as the Magpul? The Magpul is not a bad product just not my cup of tea.

Any opinions?

thanks
Personally, I like the Atlas CAL I have now better than the V8 I had previously. One, I don’t want panning….two, there was a lot of slop in the legs of the V8. Perhaps this was just my particular V8, dunno. But I far prefer the CAL I had and BT has a nice trade in program so I went that way.

As an aside, I’d started having trouble getting the can’t to be as tight as I wanted (CAL has a pod lok). Contacted BT and they pointed me to a nut under the pod lok (just unscrew the pod lok handle) and tighten it a bit.

Who knew? Haha. But worked like a charm. Personally, I like the cant adjustment to be a bit on the tighter side than otherwise.

I really like the CAL.