• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Atlas bipod

Wheaticus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego, CA
Looking into the atlas bipod to replace my Harris it will give me the versatility I need for the shooting that I mostly do on private land my questions is this what is the life expectancy on an atlas is there any maintenence on them and mounting it to a rifle that has dual sling swivels will I be able to keep the one to the rear for my sling it is a savage model 10 fcp in a Hs precision stock thank you for your time

I replaced my Harris with an Atlas, here are a few personal observations. I have a AICS chassis with the spigot mount, I really like the location that the Atlas sits at. The Atlas seems easier to "load" before taking a shot. The bipod pans really well (the Harris will drag a leg if you turn the gun too much). I do notice some flex in the legs when extended. As far as maintenance goes the only thing besides wiping the dirt off is to lightly oil the quick release leg cups.

I only have five or six range sessions on my Atlas but it seems to be holding up well, I shoot off of concrete road dividers (DOT dumped a bunch of old ones at our state owned range) and use the folded up Atlas as a rest. I know that other members have broken Atlas's, but it doesn't seem common. I still like my Harris though, it will go on the next rifle I get. I'd say don't fix it if it's not broken, run your Harris and use the money to upgrade something else on your rifle. If you do decide to upgrade your going to have to buy a rail kit to mount the Atlas on your HS stock.

Weaver makes a short piece of rail that attaches to the sling swivel stud. Weaver #48328 It takes about 5 minutes to mount it to the swivel stud.

That looks like a great product and it's not that it is broken it's that it doesn't serve the intended purpose the Harris just isn't versatile enough to get the gun up high enough for grass in front and the angled shots I have been making lately and rather than buying the taller Harris I can just get the atlas with leg extensions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

What sized Harris are you using now? How are you shooting, prone, sitting, bench, etc? I think I have the medium sized Harris (7"-13"?), I find that the Atlas lets me get lower when shooting prone, I'm not cranking my neck to get a good sight picture. Even for angled shots or shooting uphill I only use the first or second leg notch when prone. I do like the Harris better for bench shooting, our local range has rickety made benches with plastic lawn chairs for sitting with the target area on the side of a hill, the extra height of the Harris helps a lot. If you need to shoot over tall grass you might run into issues, even with the 3" leg extensions the Atlas will top out at 12" of height (4.75"-9").

I shoot off of the 6-9 Harris I really need to be at twelve which is where the atlas comes in and it's not so much grass as it is shooting at an angle I don't shoot at a range so much as a piece of land. Has anyone tried the different feet for the atlas when shooting are these actually useful for organic material or a gimmic

The Atlas spikes are excellent. They help with loading if the ground is soft, and also grip on many other hard surfaces like rock. Plus you can stab them into a stump or log if needed.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice just one more question and that is which model do I buy