• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod

Spindrift7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2017
Eastern Iowa
Wanting to upgrade the bipod on my RPR. Have been thinking of going with an Atlas. My question is, can you put any forward load on the bipod in your shooting position, without the legs folding back on you? If this has been discussed previously, I apologize., but I found nothing in my searches.

Yes. Legs lock into the position you set them and will not move out of position unless you intentionally press the detent to move them into another position.

Reactions: Spindrift7
Your shoulder has to press forward a bit to take the slop out of the bipod.

If I was going with an Atlas today I’d go with a CAL so that the legs don’t twist
The advantage of CAL isnt that legs dont twist.

CAL is Cant and Lock (no Pan) option for those who dont want Pan.

Atlas PSR legs dont twist either (thats a V8-only concern that was updated in the PSR), but still has the ability to Pan.

Reactions: st1650
Just an observation. If you are loading your Harris style bipod and the legs are folding up on you, it’s probably on backwards.
thats correct and valid. Its designed to only be mounted 1 certain way, if you reversed it the legs will 100% fold on you due when you load down, to the angle they deploy at.

Just an observation. If you are loading your Harris style bipod and the legs are folding up on you, it’s probably on backwards.
Mine don’t. I know how to mount them, I just never used a bipod whose legs could be folded front and back. Wasn’t sure if that ability to do so, prevented it from being loaded in your firing position, because of collapsing. Didn’t know how the legs locked in place.

Mine don’t. I know how to mount them, I just never used a bipod whose legs could be folded front and back. Wasn’t sure if that ability to do so, prevented it from being loaded in your firing position, because of collapsing. Didn’t know how the legs locked in place.
No problem, just making sure, have seen it before. The atlas legs have really strong stops, you can load with confidence.

No problem, just making sure, have seen it before. The atlas legs have really strong stops, you can load with confidence.
No worries, I’ve seen it also. My so called gun expert friend had his mounted backwards and didn’t believe me when I told him. Shoulda seen his face at the range when he got behind his brand new rifle and he loaded the bipod.

No worries, I’ve seen it also. My so called gun expert friend had his mounted backwards and didn’t believe me when I told him. Shoulda seen his face at the range when he got behind his brand new rifle and he loaded the bipod.
I’m not sure I understand how you can mount an Atlas backwards?

I’m not sure I understand how you can mount an Atlas backwards
I didn’t say anything about mounting one backwards. Some models, if not all models of atlas bipods, once mounted, can have the legs folded in both directions. Forward and backwards. I simply asked if you can put a load on those bipods since they fold both directions, or would they collapse under a forward load in the firing position.

I have considered that one myself some days too lol, they dont exactly have a "front" from what I could see
Since they are bidirectional, I don’t think it matters. I’m not an expert on atlas by any means, but I think it would boil down to user preference. If you want the pan/cant lock facing you, or facing the muzzle. What side you want any quick release on …….etc.

I’ve got a bunch of trigger time behind the V8 and PSR, and depending on shooting position I’ve loaded into them both at forward 45* and in a couple cases 45* backwards pulling into it on rooftop stages. In both directions they have been rock solid, a little weird putting a fair bit of weight into them backwards, but they never skipped a beat

I’ve got a bunch of trigger time behind the V8 and PSR, and depending on shooting position I’ve loaded into them both at forward 45* and in a couple cases 45* backwards pulling into it on rooftop stages. In both directions they have been rock solid, a little weird putting a fair bit of weight into them backwards, but they never skipped a beat
I’ve definitely decided to go with Atlas, now to just choose which model LOL. For some reason, I keep going back to the CAL

Last edited:
Great except you have to take it off to fit in a standard pelican. Too wide.

When @Kasey first said something new was coming I was initially going to get a scal til I learned that. That's when I got my no dye cal that he had going at the time.

When @Kasey first said something new was coming I was initially going to get a scal til I learned that. That's when I got my no dye cal that he had going at the time.
I wish they had a 5H model that did not pan. I like how the rifle “sits down in it”. I also like that Spartan Valhalla. Being a disabled vet and single father, the CAL is more wallet friendly for me LOL

I have an arca rail mount on mine. Comes off in about 5 seconds.