• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipods; CAL or 5-H

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I've been running a standard V8 on my AXMC, which I do use for PRS matches. What's everyone's take on the new Atlas CAL, vs the 5-H on heavy chassis guns like the AXMC in PRS matches? I've been trying to figure out if the 5-H would be a good match, for about a year now. I keep coming back to the size of it though; concerned it would end up getting in the way when not in use.

I have an AI AT with a NF 7-35 so it really doesn't qualify as a "heavy" gun. I ran an ATLAS V8 for a few months. I used it on my AR10 and 15s prior with no issues. When the 5H came out, I said "I'm in. It is really a huge difference in terms of stability. Works much better than my V8. It is also very versatile compared to the V8.

This being said, I have little experience with PRS matches. Have done a couple. I used the V8. The wide stance of the 5H may be a limiting factor in some of the positional stages depending on the match. For prone, the 5H is clearly the better of the two.

You should get a few more opinions from the more experienced guys on the site

Reactions: DP425
No one can give you a real answer to your question yet because no one has the Atlas CAL yet. I'd give it a few months then ask for some hands-pn feedback.

I have not found the 5H as easy to use properly as the other Bipods. Of those I currently own I prefer the PSR LW 17 with the Quick Detach. Very easy to use well, and it does not force you into a low position.

The cal, lacking a pivot, is a different kettle of fish. It lacks features found on other Atlas bipods, so if you don't want your bipod to swivel then that is what you want.