• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas CAL 2 or TBAC

Lawless

Pureblood
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2018
    NC
    Well, is the TB worth the extra hondo and the wait to get one? I have watched the videos and read and know the feature differences but just don’t know what I want.

Here’s your chance, convince me what to do.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I bought a TBAC because they're local to me and I like the similarities to a Harris like the spring loaded and easy to deploy legs.

TBAC, I have ran both and for me the TBAC is far superior.

I set the tension on mine four months ago and have never touched it since. Wherever you set it it stays.
    Its more rigid
    Fast deploy legs (no button bush)

Just all around better

Reactions: flyright
    Well, is the TB worth the extra hondo and the wait to get one? I have watched the videos and read and know the feature differences but just don’t know what I want.

Here’s your chance, convince me what to do.
    I ended up choosing the tbac. Mile high had them on stock on Tuesday when I ordered. Not sure if they still have any in stock.

Match use - tbac is faster overall due to design

non match - save the cash and get the cal (unless for some reason you need the added speed)

Eurooptic has the tbac bipod in stock today. Mine will arrive next week and I will compare myself. Perfectly happy with my Cal but will not know till I give the tbac a try.

Mile High let me put a TBAC in my cart, does this mean they’re in stock or will it be a backorder situation. Doubt they’re open on Sunday.

I have both in my cart at EuroOptic....still can’t decide.

HELP!

Eat canned tuna for a few months to save a few $$ to go elite iron. Best move I made upgrading from the atlas.

I slept on this and end the end, I went with Atlas BT65 CAL LW17.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either one. I currently run a Gen 2 CAL and love it on my match rig. I also had a chance to play with a TBAC a while back and was immediately a fan. I just ordered one from Mile High over the weekend for another rifle. Having one of each seems like the best solution!

I had the Atlas PSR, and didn't really like the pan, nor did I like having to tighten that circular knob. I was in between the Cal Gen 2 and the TBAC. I ended up with the TBAC, and some observations though I don't know if they matter in actual use -

TBAC Feet, they rotate/spin. I don't think that really matters, but the Atlas feet don't spin. I don't think the bipod is going to walk away from you due to the feet, but I haven't used it enough.

Atlas rubber feet are stickier.

Tension knob on the TBAC is superb.

TBAC only allows to stow away from the front. So you can't move the leg backwards. I sometimes move my atlas legs all the way backwards for stow away in my bag. With the TBAC, on a spigot, and the legs forward, I have to remove the TBAC before I can fit it in my bag.

If you have the TBAC at 45 degrees, you need to move it back to the 90 degrees with one lever, and then go back to 0 degrees, otherwise the legs are in a weird position. It's an interesting design. Atlas's 45 degree locking points is a simpler design, but then it doesn't allow for the quick-ish deploy.

TBAC's spring legs are very nice. Especially when I'm shooting prone, and I want the legs to be a bit longer, the spring is so nice. Extending the legs on the Atlas while in prone was a bit more effort, I always appreciated the springs on my harris and now the tbac.

$240 for an Atlas Cal Gen2 or $365 for the TBAC, I'd probably go with the Cal Gen 2, unless you really needed that fast deploy, or you really like the spring legs.

--

Looks like you went with the Cal Gen 2, nice choice :)

had an original PSR
    then a cal gen 2
    then got a TBAC

only have cal gen 2 now

i prefer non rotating feet for same reason i prefer non rotating legs
    dont care about the quick deploy as 98% of the time it doesnt matter
    didnt like the extra spring tension on deploying legs. often shot too far out then had to crawl up anyways
    would rather have 4" of solid leg when shooting in mud than just a foot to get gunked up
    no issues with tightening the cant on a cal gen 2 though i do think the metal arm of tbac is nicer (read more expensive)
    45 front and back is nice
    prefer atlas rubber
    prefer hawk hill talons

Reactions: CuTm and littlepod
    had an original PSR
    then a cal gen 2
    then got a TBAC

only have cal gen 2 now

i prefer non rotating feet for same reason i prefer non rotating legs
    dont care about the quick deploy as 98% of the time it doesnt matter
    didnt like the extra spring tension on deploying legs. often shot too far out then had to crawl up anyways
    would rather have 4" of solid leg when shooting in mud than just a foot to get gunked up
    no issues with tightening the cant on a cal gen 2 though i do think the metal arm of tbac is nicer (read more expensive)
    45 front and back is nice
    prefer atlas rubber
    prefer hawk hill talons

Thank you for your patronage! I could not agree more about getting muddy, this was one of the expressed issues people had with the Harris before we did the Atlas so we did the "Hold what you move technology" approach. On the lever/arm/Pod-Loc, we wanted to recognize Terry Cross of KMW for coming up with this idea, he's a great guy and pillar in this community, we're glad to be able to give back to him.

Thank you for your patronage! I could not agree more about getting muddy, this was one of the expressed issues people had with the Harris before we did the Atlas so we did the "Hold what you move technology" approach. On the lever/arm/Pod-Loc, we wanted to recognize Terry Cross of KMW for coming up with this idea, he's a great guy and pillar in this community, we're glad to be able to give back to him.
    I haven't shot on mud, but never considered this great aspect of the Atlas... kind of miss my Atlas now.

I think the above were all of the reasons I went this way, plus the $100 saved.

I am sure the TBAC is a fine product, but the Atlas checked more things off for me. I’m a list maker by nature.

Legs not rotating.
    More options on leg position.
    Pushing a button to move legs to me is preferable as I can stop at 45 if desired.
    I don’t believe the spring loaded legs are important for my use.
    Mud aspect I hadn’t considered but makes perfect sense.

Thank you for your patronage!
    Yes sir, I owe you ? I bought a knock off BT10 for a 22 way back when and I know it was the wrong thing to do for our hobby and your business. I’m a small business owner myself and I admit this was wrong.

I know your stuff is lifetime quality And will be a favorite.

I have a BRM-S with PodLoc, BT10, BT46 and BT65 (Cal G2).
    I have had my hands on a TBAC, but still prefer the Cal. Actually have 2 and as has been said before, just checks more boxes than Harris or TBAC for me.

I think the above were all of the reasons I went this way, plus the $100 saved.

I am sure the TBAC is a fine product, but the Atlas checked more things off for me. I’m a list maker by nature.

Legs not rotating.
    More options on leg position.
    Pushing a button to move legs to me is preferable as I can stop at 45 if desired.
    I don’t believe the spring loaded legs are important for my use.
    Mud aspect I hadn’t considered but makes perfect sense.

Yes sir, I owe you ? I bought a knock off BT10 for a 22 way back when and I know it was the wrong thing to do for our hobby and your business. I’m a small business owner myself and I admit this was wrong.

I know your stuff is lifetime quality And will be a favorite.

Wait, that was you?!!! lol. Seriously I appreciate your business. The counterfeits / knockoffs have been a huge problem they break like it's thier job and we, the real Atlas gets the credit for failure.... Now I'll be the first to admit, the Atlas can be broken and can fail but not at that rate!

Reactions: Lawless
    I had the Atlas PSR, and didn't really like the pan, nor did I like having to tighten that circular knob. I was in between the Cal Gen 2 and the TBAC. I ended up with the TBAC, and some observations though I don't know if they matter in actual use -

TBAC Feet, they rotate/spin. I don't think that really matters, but the Atlas feet don't spin. I don't think the bipod is going to walk away from you due to the feet, but I haven't used it enough.

Atlas rubber feet are stickier.

Tension knob on the TBAC is superb.

TBAC only allows to stow away from the front. So you can't move the leg backwards. I sometimes move my atlas legs all the way backwards for stow away in my bag. With the TBAC, on a spigot, and the legs forward, I have to remove the TBAC before I can fit it in my bag.

If you have the TBAC at 45 degrees, you need to move it back to the 90 degrees with one lever, and then go back to 0 degrees, otherwise the legs are in a weird position. It's an interesting design. Atlas's 45 degree locking points is a simpler design, but then it doesn't allow for the quick-ish deploy.

TBAC's spring legs are very nice. Especially when I'm shooting prone, and I want the legs to be a bit longer, the spring is so nice. Extending the legs on the Atlas while in prone was a bit more effort, I always appreciated the springs on my harris and now the tbac.

$240 for an Atlas Cal Gen2 or $365 for the TBAC, I'd probably go with the Cal Gen 2, unless you really needed that fast deploy, or you really like the spring legs.

--

Looks like you went with the Cal Gen 2, nice choice :)

Just turn the tbac around backwards when you want to stow it with legs back ?

Reactions: littlepod
    Looking at getting one of these two bipods. All I have ever used are Harris bipods.

Which one is more rugged? I'm hard on my gear.

Thanks to those posting here and the guys answering my messages today. I ordered an Atlas CAL2 this afternoon.

The simple design and lack of a pan tension knob encouraged me to buy it. I didn't like the tension knob on my two PSRs and have been using Harris bipods in PRS these last few years.

Looking forward to testing out this newer offering from B&T.

Dan

Mine is set to arrive today.

Last edited:
    I have not tried the TBAC, but I've played with Harris, Ckye, Atlas PSR, and Atlas CAL. I now only have the CAL and have upgraded them to gen 2. They're extremely solid. Plus, turnaround time from me shipping out to be upgraded, to receiving them from B&T was ~10 days.

Bipod is here and man..it is very nice. It will lock up tight or loosen to wherever you like. The legs work extremely smoothly and it just exudes quality.

@Kasey you make a fine product. Bravo sir.

Last edited:
    Reactions: b6graham
    I want to publicly thank @Kasey

I sent him a PM and explained that my CAL2 came and that I really love it but the sticker in the package was wrinkled up.

I put cool stickers on my coffee cups and asked if he would drop one in the mail.

JEEBUS!

He sent me enough swag to satisfy a tribe of Lawlesses LOL

Thanks man, you and B&T have a fan for life. You are a class act brother.

Would depend on the purpose. For PRS/NRL type shooting a TBAC or Atlas is a bit more "fit for purpose" then the Elite Iron.

If you don't mind... would you expanding on this? From what I've seen (web sleuthing only)... the Elite Iron looks every bit as adjustable as the TBAC or Atlas. I have an Atlas now (don't care for the leg deployment button... hate it actually). The TBAC looks awesome from a deployment perspective... but the Elite Iron looks to have easily deployable legs (better than Atlas) and awesome adjustability when shooting from an uneven rock surface, prone, etc.... like you would find in PRS. FWIW- I'm bipod shopping now and I'm between the Elite Iron and the TBAC... so looking for honest feedback. I'm leaning Elite Iron but curious what you're seeing that I may not have considered. For 2020, 80% of my shooting will be PRS. Thanks!

I thought Elite Iron had push button leg positions as well? Elite Iron is really in a class by itself, I don't see it being the go to for PSR.

As a side note, We did increase the size of the leg position buttons to .5, makes a crazy amount of difference. Also, we will be introducing some new features early 2020.

Oh hey Kasey - looks like you're w Atlas... sorry man... wasn't trying to hate on Atlas. I just don't like the push button on mine. I have the B10-LW17 V8 that I bought about 2 yrs ago. So y'all have increased the button size since then? Everything else about the bipod is awesome... very sturdy. It will be going on my gas gun once I move it off my PRS gun.

The issue I see with the Elite Iron for PRS is how big of a footprint it is. This could very well be an impediment when shooting "shoot house" stages, or stages where there is combined prone and having to put your rifle through a window/"port" to shoot. There's times when a prop that you shoot off of/over/under has pretty limited space/footprint, and I can definitely see the Elite Iron getting in the way at times. It would be a cumbersome bipod to take off, so if you had to take it off mid stage if you found it's too big, it would be awkward and time consuming to remove it.

The leg angle adjustment looks like it could be a bit slow on the clock, the button to adjust being above the barrel would be awkward to adjust from the prone position if you are on the clock and have determined your position is not quite adequate. I prefer a lever to lock in cant rather then a dial for speed, but that's my own preference.

Don't get me wrong, the Elite Iron seems like a real badass bipod. Almost got one for my .300NM rifle, and now looking/talking more about it I wonder if I should've went with that over the LRA F-Class bipod I got. It really does have some neat features and built well.

For PRS, something with a smaller footprint and rapid adjustments which are easy to make on the clock and when behind the rifle would be my preference. You don't need benchrest stability in PRS, the targets are pretty generous size. That game is a lot more about building a stable position quickly, then it is about building the most stable position period.

The issue I see with the Elite Iron for PRS is how big of a footprint it is. This could very well be an impediment when shooting "shoot house" stages, or stages where there is combined prone and having to put your rifle through a window/"port" to shoot. There's times when a prop that you shoot off of/over/under has pretty limited space/footprint, and I can definitely see the Elite Iron getting in the way at times. It would be a cumbersome bipod to take off, so if you had to take it off mid stage if you found it's too big, it would be awkward and time consuming to remove it.

The leg angle adjustment looks like it could be a bit slow on the clock, the button to adjust being above the barrel would be awkward to adjust from the prone position if you are on the clock and have determined your position is not quite adequate. I prefer a lever to lock in cant rather then a dial for speed, but that's my own preference.

Don't get me wrong, the Elite Iron seems like a real badass bipod. Almost got one for my .300NM rifle, and now looking/talking more about it I wonder if I should've went with that over the LRA F-Class bipod I got. It really does have some neat features and built well.

For PRS, something with a smaller footprint and rapid adjustments which are easy to make on the clock and when behind the rifle would be my preference. You don't need benchrest stability in PRS, the targets are pretty generous size. That game is a lot more about building a stable position quickly, then it is about building the most stable position period.

Excellent points - thanks man. I'll take a fresh look at my options before pulling the trigger.

I have a TBAC bipod and probably have shot close to 5k rounds off of it at this point. I think it's pros and cons have been adequately covered. I'll just add that I don't think it is worth the money and if I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't buy one. It's not a bad product but it is overly expensive for what it delivers compared to the rest of the market. I'm not a fan of the spiked feet either and wonder what they were thinking. I've used the Cal and it goes a long way to fix the things I don't like about the panning models and will probably buy one next year if I get around to it.

I like TBAC overall but I think their bipod is a swing and a miss.

Oh hey Kasey - looks like you're w Atlas... sorry man... wasn't trying to hate on Atlas. I just don't like the push button on mine. I have the B10-LW17 V8 that I bought about 2 yrs ago. So y'all have increased the button size since then? Everything else about the bipod is awesome... very sturdy. It will be going on my gas gun once I move it off my PRS gun.

LOL, no worries! I thrive on candid feedback based on first hand experience! Few people look at the Atlas leg deployment as a plus, it's the non-collapsing leg position that is appreciated. Yes, just a few months ago we increased the diameter of these buttons, easier to find and function.

I think you would be favorably impressed.

32780B07-01EE-4D22-BB7F-60D155782CA4.jpeg

Atlas BT46-LW17 not immune to uncommon failures though. The rubber on the one foot came off on its first day at the range. I have to admit I was disappointed to say the least. To Atlas’ credit they sent a replacement immediately and I used it again the following week. The Atlas has since been my favorite bipod and the Harris BRM-S has been sidelined. After reading this thread I’m seriously considering the Gen 2 CAL.

View attachment 7191533
    Atlas BT46-LW17 not immune to uncommon failures though. The rubber on the one foot came off on its first day at the range. I have to admit I was disappointed to say the least. To Atlas’ credit they sent a replacement immediately and I used it again the following week. The Atlas has since been my favorite bipod and the Harris BRM-S has been sidelined. After reading this thread I’m seriously considering the Gen 2 CAL.

Thank you for your business and for being patient with us on the issue with the feet. I have learned a lot about business since starting one and so many lessons came from absolute failures. The new design will not do that. And thank you for considering the CAL I really like the low profile when stowed which has nothing to do with the function! LOL

Reactions: jcam
    My new CAL2 performed fantastically this past Saturday and is the envy of my buddies.

Last edited:
    I want to publicly thank @Kasey

I sent him a PM and explained that my CAL2 came and that I really love it but the sticker in the package was wrinkled up.

I put cool stickers on my coffee cups and asked if he would drop one in the mail.

JEEBUS!

He sent me enough swag to satisfy a tribe of Lawlesses LOL

Thanks man, you and B&T have a fan for life. You are a class act brother.

ED095E37-E881-497C-9731-26F5844250C8.jpeg