• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas monopod - Yes!

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
If you haven't tried firing a group of shots with an Atlas Monopod-equipped rifle, do so at first opportunity.

I bought the monopd and attached it to my TRG 338 Lapua, and could not believe how much easier and faster it made it for me to fire really precise shots and groups of shots. Tremendous control, precision, ease and consistency of adjustment, and way superior to a bag for ergonomics - it really does enable a hold notably closer to "perfect". I was surpsied how much difference it made, and how quickly I am adapting to it.

On my TRG, I have the aftermarket KRG folding stock, which comes with a picatinny rail to atatch the monopod to. But, there is also a kit that enables adapting one to a factory stock TRG rifle. And of course it atatches easily with no mods to any Picatinny rail segment.

I chose the "standard" height one, but there are 3 choices in height range (they each adjust, but in overlapping overall size ranges).

I bought the version that is "quick adjust". You do fine adjsutments by rotating the monopd (MUCH easier than it might sound), and gross adjustments by pressing a quick release button that allows you to move it up or down quickly to any of many detent positions.

I also bought the optional metal versus plastic base, to better resist abrasion, as I typically shoot my 338 Lapua off a concrete bench.

All versions fold out of the way when not being used, and you press a button to unlock it to enable folding it. Very solid.

Great product. Well engineered and great ergonomics. Worth the money.

Jim G

Re: Atlas monopod - Yes!

I just bought a CTK monopod last week and im very happy with it, it adjusts from 3-6 inch's so it works great with my harris BR bipod up front.

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

I can see that it would be good for concrete or other hard surfaces. I was shooting next to a guy today who had a lot of trouble with his monopod sinking in the soft soil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also bought the optional metal versus plastic base, to better resist abrasion, as I typically shoot my 338 Lapua off a concrete bench.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see that it would be good for concrete or other hard surfaces. I was shooting next to a guy today who had a lot of trouble with his monopod sinking in the soft soil.

</div></div>

he wasn't using it properly. In that situation, he should have had his hand UNDER it, encapsulating it, so that his hand and arm prevented sinking into the soft soil. It can still be rotated easily in that setup.

Jim G

Well maybe if they put the video out showing these people that don't get it how to operate it, these problems wouldnt pop up. I've heard others say the same thing, and also talk about how bad they are on uneven ground...

I thought the same as you, let your hand drive the unit to correct issues faced.

I agree that there needs to be some guidance on how to proeprly use a monopod. I haven't found much anywhere, and during my first outing with it, "learned by experience".

What keeps coming to mind is how well it takes out the last of the muscle stress that was needed to postion and squeeze the bag to just the right height.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that there needs to be some guidance on how to proeprly use a monopod. I haven't found much anywhere, and during my first outing with it, "learned by experience".</div></div>

Working on it.

I am usually a "bag" guy. However I have been using the hell out of an Accu-Shot monopod. There is some technique that needs to be learned and used to really run this thing in a match. Once you lean the technique it really becomes fast and easy.

I am hoping to get out to the range this week to shoot some video on the difference and the different techniques between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that there needs to be some guidance on how to proeprly use a monopod. I haven't found much anywhere, and during my first outing with it, "learned by experience".</div></div>

Working on it.

I am usually a "bag" guy. However I have been using the hell out of an Accu-Shot monopod. There is some technique that needs to be learned and used to really run this thing in a match. Once you lean the technique it really becomes fast and easy.

I am hoping to get out to the range this week to shoot some video on the difference and the different techniques between the two. </div></div>

Video would be AWESOME!

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that there needs to be some guidance on how to proeprly use a monopod. I haven't found much anywhere, and during my first outing with it, "learned by experience".</div></div>

Working on it.

I am hoping to get out to the range this week to shoot some video on the difference and the different techniques between the two. </div></div>

A video would be outstanding! Also, a simple and inexpensive modification you can do is add a cane tip to increase the footprint and reduce skidding on smooth surfaces.
HR_892-008_steel_inserted_rubber_cane_tips.jpg

^^^^^^^
That's why we pay you the big bucks, brilliant idea, would help keep them from sinking in the mud, would also provide a better grip for driving with the hand.

I know this subject's been visited, but I have been unable to find a solid answer: Other than adding a rail, has anyone found a way to adapt flush cup equipped stocks to mate with a monopod that mounts to the swivel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OdellJym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this subject's been visited, but I have been unable to find a solid answer: Other than adding a rail, has anyone found a way to adapt flush cup equipped stocks to mate with a monopod that mounts to the swivel? </div></div>

If you have a stock with FC installed, you can order a set of these:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Multi-Adaptor.html

Doc2%20copy.jpg

The insert goes into the FC that is installed in your stock and converts it back to a stud. Sorry, but they are only available as part of the listed kit.

Now that was the answer I was looking for. The only one that the hide search turned up was $50. thanks, now I can add the monopod to my wish list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OdellJym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this subject's been visited, but I have been unable to find a solid answer: Other than adding a rail, has anyone found a way to adapt flush cup equipped stocks to mate with a monopod that mounts to the swivel? </div></div>

If you have a stock with FC installed, you can order a set of these:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Multi-Adaptor.html

Doc2%20copy.jpg

The insert goes into the FC that is installed in your stock and converts it back to a stud. Sorry, but they are only available as part of the listed kit. </div></div>

I'm having trouble understanding what this is and does. Does this allow you add a monorail to a SOPMOD stock for example?

Jim G

So the little plug goes into your flush cup bushing in the stock. You use an Allen wrench to tighten a set screw in the center. This pushes the detent balls out, locking it into the flush cup. Then you have a sling swivel stud where your flush cup is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the little plug goes into your flush cup bushing in the stock. You use an Allen wrench to tighten a set screw in the center. This pushes the detent balls out, locking it into the flush cup. Then you have a sling swivel stud where your flush cup is.
</div></div>

Ah, ok. Thank-you!

Jim G