• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas on a hunting rifle?

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
A month or so back I made an order for a GAP non-typical to serve as a medium range hunting rifle. I have sorted out what I want to do for the scope/ring combo, and I have moved on to thinking about any extras needed. I went with the standard b/c stock and I would need to add a picantinny rail to the rifle to accommodate an Atlas.

Does it make sense to move to an atlas bipod on a rifle of this type? I have typically slung harris bipods on hunting rifles when needed. The benefits of the atlas appeal to me, but I wonder if I am overkilling it a bit for a rifle of this type. It will be used for hunting in a variety of conditions for pronghorn, mule deer, and whitetail locally. I doubt I would use a bipod much locally because our shots are short and typically from stands with rests.

If you allready own an Atlas bipod why not throw a pic rail on it, if you don't and have a Harris I'm sure the Harris will serve you just fine.
Since you stated you mostly hunt from stands with a rest the bipod wouldn't be much use anyways. If you are on a big ranch or lease and would occasionally stop and shoot off the hood of a vehicle at predators or hogs that is were the atlas would shine in my opinion.

Let me clarify the original thought. Locally we stand hunt for whitetails. It is my intention to begin taking trips to see other states and hunt different critters. Next year we will start with a pronghorn hunt and progress from there.

I don't have an atlas at the moment, but I am not opposed to purchasing one. I have a couple other rifles it could be used on as well.

I had allways used a Harris and they served me well for many years but recently bought an atlas PSR and love it.
I'm not a gear snob and have no intentions of getting rid of the Harris but the atlas is a quality piece if kit.

Any atlas with a LW-17 throw lever mount is just so convenient and simple to pop off the rail and toss in a packs external pocket or a thigh pocket on pants to be just as easily reinstalled.

The Harris isn't quite as compact but it can be set up and deployed the same way ofcourse.

been down that road.
bipod, trigger stix, long leg bipod, light weight tripod
your gear will change not only with each animal but with the AO.
ive hunted animals that you normally think about as thick cover, but when speaking to the guide or surveying the area its not very thick at all etc.
and hunted animals that are planes animals but the hunt took place on very rocky hilly ground, because the part of the state i was in.
so my gear changed.
alot of times my bipod is used mostly for keeping my muzz out of the dirt and snow when im glassing or sitting/resting/sleeping.
useful to bring but not always used for the shot

been down that road.
bipod, trigger stix, long leg bipod, light weight tripod
your gear will change not only with each animal but with the AO.
ive hunted animals that you normally think about as thick cover, but when speaking to the guide or surveying the area its not very thick at all etc.
and hunted animals that are planes animals but the hunt took place on very rocky hilly ground, because the part of the state i was in.
so my gear changed.
alot of times my bipod is used mostly for keeping my muzz out of the dirt and snow when im glassing or sitting/resting/sleeping.
useful to bring but not always used for the shot

Those are all excellent points and remind me of all the times I've used my BOGPOD tripod for everything from shooting a crossbow out of a pop up blind to spot and stalk in high grass on brushy open fields.

It's light weight and very versatile for both shooting off of from sitting to standing and also glassing.

A tripod of some type is on the gear list for sure. A friend has one and it is supremely useful.

The quick release Atlas would be my choice for sure as well.

I use an atlas, and a Harris. I have been looking at one these. My bipod is in my pack or pocket most of the time. And the grass and terrain here, is usually all wrong to get prone for a shot. So sitting or kneeling off sticks is my normal shot when hunting.

I like the idea of the Atlas with the quick release (or any quick release bipod) because it could be quickly shared/swapped between rifles. Use something like the Seekins SRS rail.

https://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/bolt-rifle-parts/srs-rail-1.html

I got tired of the harris attached to the sling stud and the sling attached to the bipod, anytime you wanted to remove the bipod, you had to remove the sling first. It was kind of annoying. You could always use quick a release bipod adapter on your Harris with the Seekins rail, I have used the American Defense mount with a Harris bipod and the Seekins rail and liked it.

i was wondering about the hatch, a while ago
couldnt find much about it. hows the build quality, do the legs wobble like crazy when extended

I would compare the legs to a fully extended Harris, from a sturdy standpoint. Quality seems great, however, I did lose a rubber foot but I emailed them and they sent 2 replacements ASAP. Super Glue on the new ones and I doubt they'll be coming off again.
20181024_174751.jpg

I went deer hunting with an atlas this year for the first time. Really noticed when propped up on a dead tree, I could angle the legs to get my position better.
Also the toolbox sits higher than the hood so when shooting off of that propping the legs at 45 degrees helps me not shoot off my tip toes.
I am a believer.

go with the atlas. pic rail and the atlas qd, it can ride in your pack if you know you aren't going to need it and quickly attach if you do.

The Hatch Outwest is WAY more versatile than an Atlas - I love my Atlas's, I have 4 of them but for hunting...the versatility of the HO can't be beat. Super Short stance to Super High Stance, way faster deployment and also has the 45 degree features on the legs. I'm affiliated in NO WAY, just a Happy Customer.

Any will suit you fine if they suit the terrain you hunt , bi-pods on the sage flats of Utah are mostly useless , sticks will get you higher and three legs are better than two IMHO . A good sling like the TAB GEAR quick adjust should be fine in forested areas , my bipod serves me well for antelope in the short sage/grass . The Hatch Out West would be my first choice for a Bi-Pod and a 3 leg Bog pod for coyotes and tall cover . 2 cents!