• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas or AI bipod.

parkze17

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
Parker, PA United States
I have one last piece to buy for my rifle and its the bipod. I have a rem 700 aac in an AICS 2.0 chassis. Originally I was set on the atlas but I have read some things about them being kind of clunky when adjusting and they are a pain to deploy. So now I am leaning towards the AI bipod. Any suggestions to which I should buy would be appreciated. I am also willing to consider other brands that would mount via the spigot.

Re: Atlas or AI bipod.

I have an Atlas on my AIAW and IMO they are not much of a problem. You just have to push a button on each leg to deploy the legs. The can be adjusted form 90 degrees in steps to parallel to the rifle barrel in either direction.

Have three Atlas bipods and while they are a bit slow to deploy . Then again I've never found myself in a situation where the speed that I deployed a bipod mattered. Just how it works for me.

Have to say Atlas here too... mine's set up with the QD mount. I don't think i'll be buying anything else... IF I keep getting lucky & find them in stock
smile.gif

t

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkze17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any input on the AI bipod?</div></div>

I have both. Here's the differences I've noticed.

The AI leaves a small gap between the spigot block and the bipod when it locks into place. Doesn't really affect anything, but the fit seems a little sloppy.

The Atlas attaches in the same manner, but has a knob that tightens down and provides a positive lockup between the rifle and bipod.

The AI has no side-to-side resistance. Let go of the rifle with the crosshairs level, and it will flop over until it hits the stop. Kind of like a Harris with a swivel that can't be tightened down.

The AI is easier to deploy. Squeeze the legs, and fold it down. Hit the buttons, and the legs deploy. With the Atlas, you need to hold a button down, and individually unfold each leg. Then there's a little collar that you squeeze (requires a thumb and finger) and move to extend each leg. The Atlas legs are not spring loaded.

There's more adjustability with the Atlas, as the legs can be positioned independently. You can also fold them halfway down, which gets the rifle very low with the legs out forward.

You can get slip-on rubber feet for the AI, and there are several types of replacement feet for the Atlas.

Personally, I prefer the Atlas. It just feels like a much higher quality piece of gear.

I agree with everyone else Atlas would be a great choice. I've never had a problem finding one just search good ATLAS F/S and there's always one on eBay or else where for sale

Go Atlas but honestly give Long Range Accuracy bipods a look. It is very expensive but I do like how truly stable they are.