• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas or Harris Bipod for Large frame AR: Pros and Cons of Each

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
OK, I've been going back and forth on this and I've had both bipod systems and have used them, but at this point, I'm using a Harris on my LMT MWS .308 with 20" barrel, Fat Bastard Brake and a Nightforce 2.5-20 (to give you an idea of the weight).

Can somebody give me a quick down/dirty pro/con of Atlas v. Harris?

I notice in Frank's training videos on a semi-auto .308 he is running Atlas.

Reactions: simonp
I use an ATLAS as the degree of flexibility it provides is truly something I could not do without.

No sleight against Harris but the entire method of mounting and its stability is not on par with the ATLAS line. There are improved mounting systems that you can add to a Harris but then one if its principal reasons for using it, cost, is not as large an advantage.

The ATLAS leg adjustability (height and angle) are hugely important to me but may not be to you. The pan and cant functionality is smooth and precise.

Harris is great if speed is important. I have some friends that run them in matches because of the speed of deployment. However, they also run an ATLAS when those conditions are not as important.

You may also want to consider adding spiked feet to the ATLAS for even better stability on certain surfaces.

Another thing you may want to consider is moving to the ATLAS 5H if you do a lot of prone. It is very stable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

My goal is to eliminate any hardware related issues pertaining to accuracy. I know I am responsible for accuracy, but I want to get as much hardware inmpediments out of the equation and just work on "me" issues.

It's my impression that the ATLAS provides a more sturdy bipod system. I've read others claim that their ATLAS bipods move around on them too much, as compared to the Harris.

It's all pretty dang confusing.

Thanks for the helpful input.

Many people complain that the ATLAS moves and that is generally due to three things in my opinion.
  1. Early ATLAS models had legs that were not captive so they could rotate. Newer models have eliminated that rotation
  2. The rubber feet do a good job but on some surfaces they are not the best solution. That is why I suggested spike feet so you can switch out as needed
  3. They don't know how to properly load a bipod so they get hop under recoil and blame the bipod

Reactions: Centuriator
Over the last few years I've seen a few people complain about their ATLAS where I just shook my head.

1. Guy complained about it hopping right too much. Instead of being behind his rifle where the rifle and his body make an 'I'....he was canted off the side and made a sideways 'L' and his non-braked 308 was moving to the path of least resistance.

2. Guy sitting down at a bench with rubber feet and pulling the rifle back into his shoulder pocket with no load into the bi-pod and it hopped just enough to not be able to see his own impacts.

3. Guy was complaining about the quality being less than his old Harris he sold....upon inspection it was a chicom knock off he paid very little for....then said, "Well it is an Atlas 'style' bi-pod...what's the difference?" Probably owned a 'Harris style' bi-pod before then too.

4. Guy said it was too complicated to deploy. This guy also needed help changing the batteries in the TV remote as well.

The Atlas is definitely a step up from the Harris. I've switched between the Atlas and Thunder Beast on my MWS and find both to be great choices.

The Atlas is definitely a step up from the Harris. I've switched between the Atlas and Thunder Beast on my MWS and find both to be great choices.

Thanks for your comment, would you mind filling in a bit more detail on why Atlas over Harris? Thanks

I switched this summer to an Atlas PSR after running a Harris for several years. I had heard people say they shot better with the Atlas than the Harris. For the longest time I doubted this, but after finding a a good deal on the Atlas and taking it to the range, i can confirm it is true. I went from 3/4 MOA groups to 1/3 MOA same rifle, same load. I wish i could tell you exactly why it works, but it does.

I don't think you specific platform will influence the result to be any different. If you can swing the Atlas, do it.

I switched this summer to an Atlas PSR after running a Harris for several years. I had heard people say they shot better with the Atlas than the Harris. For the longest time I doubted this, but after finding a a good deal on the Atlas and taking it to the range, i can confirm it is true. I went from 3/4 MOA groups to 1/3 MOA same rifle, same load. I wish i could tell you exactly why it works, but it does.

I don't think you specific platform will influence the result to be any different. If you can swing the Atlas, do it.

Hey, thanks...now you just cost me more money.

I"m NOT BRAGGING ok, but .... I've been shooting with scopes on rifles since I was about 12 years old. I'm fairly confident in my abilities and I have the fundamentals down...so...just looking options, as I said in the OP, to eliminate hardware issues from the equation.

Now I have to figure out a way to gin up the funds to replace my Harris.

:)

Both the TB and Atlas are more stable. When shooting them back to back with my friend's Harris, I found a bit more wobble when leaning on the Harris. Not horrid by any means but definitely noticeable. Enough that my friend ordered the TB that night. He liked the quick deploying legs on the TB better.

Both the TB and Atlas are more stable. When shooting them back to back with my friend's Harris, I found a bit more wobble when leaning on the Harris. Not horrid by any means but definitely noticeable. Enough that my friend ordered the TB that night. He liked the quick deploying legs on the TB better.

What is the "TB"?

Been using my Harris for many years now. Recently this year purchased an Atlas Cal Gen 2 based on recommendations from other SH members. Here is my take on the two.

run mostly on bolt guns but some on AR15/10 platforms

-The mounting system on the Atlas BT65 LW17 is superior to the Harris and way quicker to add or remove the bipod. It doesn’t loosen like the Harris does under recoil

I wasn’t entirely sold on the feet on the Atlas. When using in the field the feet tend to slide, especially on damp grass. I put spiked feet on my Harris years ago because it had the same issue. However I added the hawk Hill feet to the atlas and the Atlas stays firmly planted. I like the quick change on the Atlas feet if I want to shoot from something that I don’t want scratched I can swap in the field if needed. Harris has cotter pins in it so I can do the same if needed.

I haven’t noticed any negatives about the speed of deployment for what I use the Bipods for. I definitely think the Harris can be deployed a bit faster tho. As far as extending the legs go the Harris extends faster from the spring loaded position unless it hits grass etc before extending to needed height. At that point I have to Extended the Harris to proper height similar to the atlas, pressing the button and manually pulling the leg out. With the atlas I just tilt the rifle with one hand and press the collar on the legs down until the leg hits the ground and let the weight of the rifle snap the collar back into place.

My biggest like about the Atlas compared to the Harris is the legs don’t fold when pulling the gun back or turning the rifle on the ground. The Harris would catch grass then either fold or let the grass go and spring back into place. The Atlas just rips through whatever is in its way and stays with the opposing leg

I use both, like both, but the Atlas is my go to if I have a picatinny rail to mount it to. Just for a few of the reasons noted above. The height/canting feature etc to me is a wash between the two. Also had my first leg bolt come out of the Harris this year. After 15 years of use/abuse I’m impressed how long it lasted before any hiccups arose. Was able to fix in the field and continued using

These Bipods primarily get used for crop damage/eradication in farm fields and see many hours of use in damp/dirty conditions. I don’t compete in prs which is probably why the speed of deployment doesn’t bother me as much as others
26FE46D5-FC44-4448-BBC0-C489426067BD.png
5FAF7633-9E9F-4F25-909A-4B8F5F60412B.png

Last edited:
My main suggestion would be to buy One Quality bipod to share across all your rifles.
I started with the Harris but hated the “sproing!” sound and vibration after every shot as well as its tendency to loosen on the sling mounts. I quickly went to the Atlas with non-rotating legs, was very satisfied for several months, and then loved it once I added the pic rail/Arca rail RRS adapter. I can swap from .22 to ARs to 6.5 in seconds. Also cuts down on stuff to take to the range, and it’s easier to fit rifles in cases.

Been using my Harris for many years now. Recently this year purchased an Atlas Cal Gen 2 based on recommendations from other SH members. Here is my take on the two.

run mostly on bolt guns but some on AR15/10 platforms

-The mounting system on the Atlas BT65 LW17 is superior to the Harris and way quicker to add or remove the bipod. It doesn’t loosen like the Harris does under recoil

I wasn’t entirely sold on the feet on the Atlas. When using in the field the feet tend to slide, especially on damp grass. I put spiked feet on my Harris years ago because it had the same issue. However I added the hawk Hill feet to the atlas and the Atlas stays firmly planted. I like the quick change on the Atlas feet if I want to shoot from something that I don’t want scratched I can swap in the field if needed. Harris has cotter pins in it so I can do the same if needed.

I haven’t noticed any negatives about the speed of deployment for what I use the Bipods for. I definitely think the Harris can be deployed a bit faster tho. As far as extending the legs go the Harris extends faster from the spring loaded position unless it hits grass etc before extending to needed height. At that point I have to Extended the Harris to proper height similar to the atlas, pressing the button and manually pulling the leg out. With the atlas I just tilt the rifle with one hand and press the collar on the legs down until the leg hits the ground and let the weight of the rifle snap the collar back into place.

My biggest like about the Atlas compared to the Harris is the legs don’t fold when pulling the gun back or turning the rifle on the ground. The Harris would catch grass then either fold or let the grass go and spring back into place. The Atlas just rips through whatever is in its way and stays with the opposing leg

I use both, like both, but the Atlas is my go to if I have a picatinny rail to mount it to. Just for a few of the reasons noted above. The height/canting feature etc to me is a wash between the two. Also had my first leg bolt come out of the Harris this year. After 15 years of use/abuse I’m impressed how long it lasted before any hiccups arose. Was able to fix in the field and continued using

These Bipods primarily get used for crop damage/eradication in farm fields and see many hours of use in damp/dirty conditions. I don’t compete in prs which is probably why the speed of deployment doesn’t bother me as much as others
View attachment 7171324View attachment 7171325

Revealing my ignorance here, but I notice in your pic, and others, the Atlas legs extended forward like that. How does that work when it comes to "loading the bipod" ... thanks.

Revealing my ignorance here, but I notice in your pic, and others, the Atlas legs extended forward like that. How does that work when it comes to "loading the bipod" ... thanks.

In complete honesty it’s to low for me to use in that configuration. Has its place but I don’t use it like that. Makes nice pic tho lol. Someone else will be able to chime in with an answer I’m sure. I shoot prone with it in the fully folded out position

I’d guess not well as the feet would drive into the ground and there’s really no flex in that configuration

In complete honesty it’s to low for me to use in that configuration. Has its place but I don’t use it like that. Makes nice pic tho lol. Someone else will be able to chime in with an answer I’m sure. I shoot prone with it in the fully folded out position

I’d guess not well as the feet would drive into the ground and there’s really no flex in that configuration

I appreciate your honesty, thanks.

It works the same as the load you place doesn’t need to be overwhelming, just enough to take the slop out. I would shoot my OBR with them forward like that off of a bench (was the perfect height) and didn’t have a loading issue. Did the same in the prone with the wife’s system at that angle.

I grew up on the HBRMS but now also run an Atlas CAL (gen2) between my systems. I’ve run the CAL on my OBR (308), LMT SLK8 (556), and my bolt gun 308s. I’ve run with the legs at every position and at varying heights during various drills, with my opinion being that it’s worth it 100%. The standard rubber feet don’t rotate and grip fairly well. The legs deploy quickly and you know that once you adjust it, it isn’t moving (unlike the Harris).

If you’re running it on rails, the newer CAls have an upgraded ADM lever which locks up super tight and has a better locking lever. ADM also offers this lever (I think it’s named “tactical” something but it’s available through ADM if your Atlas’ ADM doesn’t come with the newer style).

I still have an HBRMS but it sits on whatever rifle isn’t going to the range that day. That and I keep it on hand to lend out or let friends try before convincing them to buy a Cal lol.

Do I notice tighter groups with the CAL? I don’t know but they are tight. It might be a mental game to a certain extent, as “having confidence” in your gear is a big part of shooting as well. I’ve shot amazing groups with both bipods but the CAL is my go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Have both. Shoot with both. Harris is faster to deploy. Atlas has more adjustability. If you load the bipod properly they essentially function the same.

Side note, Harris rubber feet are softer than Atlas rubber and digs in a bit better to cement bench.

Have both. Shoot with both. Harris is faster to deploy. Atlas has more adjustability. If you load the bipod properly they essentially function the same.

Side note, Harris rubber feet are softer than Atlas rubber and digs in a bit better to cement bench.
This.

The online training is some of the best shooting money you will spend on precision shooting. Back when I had time to do the practice drills, I shot a 4 shot 2.6" group at 550. A 5th shot opened it up to 4.1". This was out the window of a truck using a POF 308.
It's all fundamentals and follow through.

You should also check out the KAC bipod. I have Harris, Atlas PSR, and KAC...I definitely like the KAC way better.

The KAC has a 2” wider stance than the Atlas PSR . The KAC is also easier to manipulate, it is a little looser in every way. Surprisingly with a little more play in the bipod I feel, I can shoot better prone. I should shoot groups with both bipods to see never used them both on same day but seems like when I shoot the KAC I’m always shooting better.

I still run Harris. Solid and dependable. Beat most of the f class shooters the other day with mcmillan A5 Harris Bi-pod and gamechanger rear bag.

I do not like the Atlas PSR. The pan feature sucks most of the time. I do like the CAL model though. I have several Harris bipods and slightly prefer them to my Atlas Cal. They both do the same thing which is hold the rifle up. I do not shoot better or worse with either.

I use the Atlas bipod BT 46-LW 17 PSR with the ADM 170-S lever. It's mounted on a BT 17: 4" 1913 rail. Very well made and easy to remove.

Harris for me...i owned an atlas for about 2 days and sold it I didn’t like anything about it.

No they're not.
Dude, there’s a whole thread of people waiting for six months or more and nobody has them in stock. I’m sure they’re awesome, but I’ve had Form 4s come back in that kind of time.

Dude, there’s a whole thread of people waiting for six months or more and nobody has them in stock. I’m sure they’re awesome, but I’ve had Form 4s come back in that kind of time.
They're available. Just not quite like an atlas right now

Gone quick sort of thing

They're available. Just not quite like an atlas right now

Gone quick sort of thing
Well, that may be. I’m probably better off not knowing, having just bought a Joy Pod.

Back to the original question, I agree the Atlas CAL is nicer to use than the Harris. The flexibility of locking the legs at 45 or 90 degrees is really helpful. The build quality is far better and there are no annoying springs. The feet are easier to switch out.

On the other hand I haven’t used the Ckye Pod or the TBAC. I’ve tried the Fortmeier, which is kind of cool because the gun hangs from it and self levels, but none of these help if your body isn’t lined up with the recoil impulse.

Reactions: b6graham
The atlas is more versatile for sure, so I guess it depends on your application.

I don't shoot in weird positions to justify spending the extra money. I used to own a atlas, but I sold it to and went with the Harris and put the leftover money towards ammo or another build.

Reactions: Mxridr
Going to be one of the few odd guys out here. Sold my Atlas PSR for a few Harris bipods and havent looked back.

1) harris is stiffer. Atlas has some squish in the legs you HAVE to take out to shoot repeatably. Harris is more forgiving.
2) pan feature on the Atlas is a PITA. The amount of times I've needed to pan I can count on one pinky. 90% of the time when changing from obstacle to obstacle I found the bipod crooked and had to take the time to straighten it or force a shot.
3) Harris has less adjustability but enough to not be a hinderance. Atlas you can adjust 100 ways to sunday but theres no way you are going to adjust it to each and every obstacle for best fit under a timer. If im static its a great feature but under a clock the harris' positions are more than enough.
4) Deploying and folding are pretty close with a good amount of training with the Atlas. The harris allows you to be efficient with less training specifically for it. Not a huge advantage until you have to touch your bipod more than once (stage starts and ends in prone requiring fold up to thread through obstacles).
5) Feet grip goes to the Atlas. I think someone said the Harris is softer and more grippy but I find the complete opposite true. I've tried spikes but find they only work better on wood and dirt, not barrels, cars or anything metal. Personally I like grip but not enough grip that I can push the feet through whatever its gripping to adjust my position. Re-lifting and setting a rifle takes time and breaks your movement from getting into a shooting position. This really is just a comment on spike vs rubber.
6) Lock up. Found myself having to tighten the Atlas constantly because it would loose up over use. The harris with pod lock doesnt lose its stiffness adjustment. This was a legit atlas...not a fake. May be taken care of with some of their newer handled models but only commenting on the PSR I had.

Not sure on your region but all of my par times are 90 seconds, not a lot of time to fiddle with gear. If I had some of the longer par times the West and other regions have maybe my answer would be different but I cant see the cost and time waste being worth the handfull of times a season where MAYBE all that extra adjustability would be worth it.

OK, I've been going back and forth on this and I've had both bipod systems and have used them, but at this point, I'm using a Harris on my LMT MWS .308 with 20" barrel, Fat Bastard Brake and a Nightforce 2.5-20 (to give you an idea of the weight).

Can somebody give me a quick down/dirty pro/con of Atlas v. Harris?

I notice in Frank's training videos on a semi-auto .308 he is running Atlas.

First, Thank you for considering the Atlas. While I read this entire thread I didn’t see where you addressed what type of shooting you'll be doing. This is a key part of the equation that should be considered before making a recommendation. The issues noted here of the Harris is what inspired the Atlas as there were few options available. The V8 and PSR models are full featured Pan and Cant option for real world use where you'll not be toting a dozen different "bags" with you to build a "position". The PSR model remains the bipod we deliver the most of to SOF units around the world. The CAL (no pan feature) is a better choice for square or static range work and for anyone that does not like the Pan feature. The feet of the Atlas are notable softer than Harris. We created the 45 degree leg positions to get a lower profile, larger range of elevation and a good position for high angle shooting, think shooting off mountain ledge into valley. The Atlas bipods are American made, reasonably priced and do not infringe on any patents.

The feet of the Atlas are notable softer than Harris.
Interesting and not my experience. Love my CAL but the feet were no where near as soft as the Harris I own. If you have an extra set of soft Atlas feet, PM me and I will trade my hard ones for them. :)

Interesting and not my experience. Love my CAL but the feet were no where near as soft as the Harris I own. If you have an extra set of soft Atlas feet, PM me and I will trade my hard ones for them. :)

So my goal was to get feet that were "softer" than Harris and believe we accomplished that. You are the first person to say the Harris feet are softer, the Harris bipods I have are all over 20 years old and the feet are noticeably harder than the feet we use. Maybe Harris changed??? We recently did a revision on the feet and the durometer stayed the same, I'll get that number then you can chase down the Harris number.

Ckye pod.

I've tried them all. I still generally run a Harris most days at the bench as we have thick rubber mats. I'm still a believer in their tried and true basic simple function.

The ckye pod was mind blowing for prs style shooting. I was initially blown away by the function. Then I learned what it cost and damn near had a heart attack, then I bought one.

Reactions: deersniper

20190507_231924.jpg
20190914_111322.jpg

Yep, theres no way to shoot accurately or consistently with a harris, lol.

So my goal was to get feet that were "softer" than Harris and believe we accomplished that. You are the first person to say the Harris feet are softer, the Harris bipods I have are all over 20 years old and the feet are noticeably harder than the feet we use. Maybe Harris changed??? We recently did a revision on the feet and the durometer stayed the same, I'll get that number then you can chase down the Harris number.
The atlas are noticeably softer and more pliable than the harris. The harris are hard rigid rubber. Still. Nothing changed, that guy is just wrong lol

First, Thank you for considering the Atlas. While I read this entire thread I didn’t see where you addressed what type of shooting you'll be doing. This is a key part of the equation that should be considered before making a recommendation. The issues noted here of the Harris is what inspired the Atlas as there were few options available. The V8 and PSR models are full featured Pan and Cant option for real world use where you'll not be toting a dozen different "bags" with you to build a "position". The PSR model remains the bipod we deliver the most of to SOF units around the world. The CAL (no pan feature) is a better choice for square or static range work and for anyone that does not like the Pan feature. The feet of the Atlas are notable softer than Harris. We created the 45 degree leg positions to get a lower profile, larger range of elevation and a good position for high angle shooting, think shooting off mountain ledge into valley. The Atlas bipods are American made, reasonably priced and do not infringe on any patents.
Really got to maximize the pan feature on my 5H this weekend doing prone transitions out to distance.

The atlas are noticeably softer and more pliable than the harris. The harris are hard rigid rubber. Still. Nothing changed, that guy is just wrong lol
Have both and no, I am not wrong. Think its like the NF users who say NF scopes never break and then someone posts that their NF internals took a shit and NF repaired it. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean the other person is wrong. ;)