• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas PSR tension knob loosens, any suggestions?

Danattherock

Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    I mostly use Harris, but last few weeks have been trying a Atlas PSR I bought last year. Frequently, the tension knob is coming loose while shooting, happened twice at match Sunday.

Had same issue with this bipod last year when I first bought it and contacted B&T, which offered to take a look if I sent it it. Was curious if there is anything I should try prior to doing so. I'm not very familiar with Atlas bipods, so curious if I'm not using it properly.

I tighten the adjustment knob down good, but on stages where I am panning left and right, it comes loose at times. Considering a spot weld, or wrapping silicone covered wire in crack, but open to any ideas of course.

images~2.jpeg

Reactions: vh20
    I have one that does this as well. The guts inside are worn. A friend of mine had to send his back a couple years ago for it as well. It fixed his. I had a match coming up and couldnt wait for my atlas to get fixed so I ordered a larue/harris and have never sent my atlas in. Still need to

Thanks man I guess I'll just have to take it apart and see what's going on. It's essentially brand new so nothing's worn. But I can't seem to tighten it enough to stay put. Insanely popular bipod to perform so poorly so I assume I got a lemon.

Reactions: deersniper
    Atlas bipods do wear out within a couple years of hard use and need service, but mine has also done this since new. I have also broken my bipod once (it just fell apart shooting off a barricade at a club match, no idea what caused the stress/break) and when I got it back from repair it still loosens so I think it's just the design. It's annoying but doesn't seem to affect much otherwise.
    -Dan

Reactions: deersniper
    Thanks man. I was on some rocks and bipod got so loose it would just tip over. I checked it prior to each stage afterwards. Might just go back to the Harris.

I truly think that you should just contact B&T again and send it in. I can guarantee that Kasey will take care of it.

Reactions: Badfinger
    Likely will. They were really cool when I called with same issue after first trying it out last year. I got like 5 bipods and ended up using another.

This is my biggest gripe with the Atlas bipods. I absolutely hate the tension system.

Hello Gents,

We have a solution to this problem! It's called the ATW: Atlas Tension Wrench. This spanner will allow you to tension your Atlas bipod knob so it will fully lock up with no movement or you back it off a bit so it will move only when you want it to. It's an insanely simple solution to a common complaint about the finest bipod on the market.

We have a couple small batches available for the PSR and V8 bipods. The thing you want to make sure of is the ATW pattern fits your bipod tension knob. There are a different knobs out there. The current knob is 4 sided and previous ones were 5 sided.

We will be putting the shot show prototypes up for sale on Monday. They come in black or gold.

Right now our website is not up to date- sorry- been too busy!

<a href="">

Hello Gents,

We have a solution to this problem! It's called the ATW: Atlas Tension Wrench. This spanner will allow you to tension your Atlas bipod knob so it will fully lock up with no movement or you back it off a bit so it will move only when you want it to. It's an insanely simple solution to a common complaint about the finest bipod on the market.

We have a couple small batches available for the PSR and V8 bipods. The thing you want to make sure of is the ATW pattern fits your bipod tension knob. There are a different knobs out there. The current knob is 4 sided and previous ones were 5 sided.

We will be putting the shot show prototypes up for sale on Monday. They come in black or gold.

<a href="">

Thanks. What would keep the above lever from coming loose like the knob on my Atlas PSR. The problem appears when panning left to right, the knob moves only in the loosening orientation when panning, it doesn't get tight when panning in the opposite direction, so basically it walks out.

Last edited:
    Thanks. What would keep the above lever from coming loose like the knob on my Atlas PSR. The problem appears when panning left to right, the knob moves only in the loosening orientation when panning, it doesn't get tight when painting in the opposite direction, so basically it walks out.

While I can't speak to your issue directly without seeing the bipod first hand, what I can tell you is our ATW will allow you to turn the tension knob further and with more precision than your fingers alone. I haven't seen an Atlas yet that isn't instantly improved with it. Tell you what- if you order it and it doesn't work, send it back for a refund.

While I can't speak to your issue directly without seeing the bipod first hand, what I can tell you is our ATW will allow you to turn the tension knob further and with more precision than your fingers alone. I haven't seen an Atlas yet that isn't instantly improved with it. Tell you what- if you order it and it doesn't work, send it back for a refund.
    Michael,

What will these run? Can I purchase one of the shot show demos, if so, where can I purchase one?

I ran an experiment. I tightened my tension nob as tight as I could make it bare handed. Then I put one of my work gloves on and was amazed how much tighter I could make it. Might not work for everyone but it worked for me.

Riverrat- we are running these now and should have them in a few weeks. We will have some short run samples for sale tomorrow, I'll post up on our facebook page when they are ready.

One word of caution to all-- please be careful not to overtighten the knob.. it can and will break!! The screw holding it together inside is very tough stainless steel but it was only spec-ed out to handle so much force and when you add a mechanical advantage like a lever and a lot of force, things can get ugly.

Our ATW is designed to be used with three fingers and you don't need to force anything. Use smooth movement to adjust.

Please don't try channel locks- those will chew up your knob and you can strip the screw.

I saw these at SHOT and was flattered and humbled that once again, someone is making an accessory for our products. It was very well excuted and appreciated that Michael came by to ask if they could use "ATLAS" in the name as well as to ask if I was okay with them doing it. Which again was much appreciated, and my answer was yes to both. I wish all manufacturers would follow this model of doing business.

All I ask, is that IF you get one and IF you snap the Pivot Bolt (400 series stainless steel with reduced 1/4 x 20 threaded end), be honest with us about it. We will still repair it at no cost, but both B&T and Victor want to be aware of this to consider modification of designs.

And as a reminder, the Atlas V8 and PSR series of bipods was never designed to lock down tight but simply to have adjustable tension.

(Michael, dont forget to send me one of the 4 lug style! THANK YOU!!)

I saw these at SHOT and was flattered and humbled that once again, someone is making an accessory for our products. It was very well excuted and appreciated that Michael came by to ask if they could use "ATLAS" in the name as well as to ask if I was okay with them doing it. Which again was much appreciated, and my answer was yes to both. I wish all manufacturers would follow this model of doing business.

All I ask, is that IF you get one and IF you snap the Pivot Bolt (400 series stainless steel with reduced 1/4 x 20 threaded end), be honest with us about it. We will still repair it at no cost, but both B&T and Victor want to be aware of this to consider modification of designs.

And as a reminder, the Atlas V8 and PSR series of bipods was never designed to lock down tight but simply to have adjustable tension.

(Michael, dont forget to send me one of the 4 lug style! THANK YOU!!)

This is why I'm buying an ATLAS. I work as a test technician in my field. I know a company with ethics, and this screams of your companies character and reputation. It's hard to find companies that not only wish for their product to be better, but welcome accessory manufacturers to work with their product.

Riverrat- we are running these now and should have them in a few weeks. We will have some short run samples for sale tomorrow, I'll post up on our facebook page when they are ready.

One word of caution to all-- please be careful not to overtighten the knob.. it can and will break!! The screw holding it together inside is very tough stainless steel but it was only spec-ed out to handle so much force and when you add a mechanical advantage like a lever and a lot of force, things can get ugly.

Our ATW is designed to be used with three fingers and you don't need to force anything. Use smooth movement to adjust.

Please don't try channel locks- those will chew up your knob and you can strip the screw.

I've been hitting refresh on the facebook page so much I think I may break it!!!!! Must get one of these!!!!!!!!

Hello Gents-

We have a few of the 4 lug Atlas Tension Wrenches up for sale in Gold and Black. These are SHOT Show samples so they aren't perfect but they work very well. We discounted them to $29.99

Please feel free to post your feedback- good bad ugly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MBanning
    Ok, OP just made me aware of the original question... My apologies for having my head up my butt.

To be clear, the Atlas Pan and Cant was never designed to LOCK. It was designed to have tension that was adjustable for both Pan and Cant for dynamic positioning to move, to engage a single target or to engage multiple and/or moving targets. The Atlas is not a rigid, shot after shot bipod. So yes, when the Tension Knob is tightened to the tightest position, it will loosen when the mount is rotated to the right as the mechanics of the Atlas are going to "loosen to move" because you are moving POA to the right, not "fixed position" can't move. We can go into body positioning, on and on but bottom line, Atlas was designed to adjust into a shootable position in the field.

The Harris bipod, the Gold Standard and very shootable bipod that's under 100.00 is a rigid bipod, add the Cant feature and now it too will loosen. No excuse, just a fact.

The Atlas CAL is a Cant only bipod that without the Pan feature is not as adjustable into a position as the other Atlas bipods but delivers what Harris shooters are use to, Cant only, but without what some don't like by adding the patented leg positions and intentional "Hold what you move" leg movements. This bipod also has adjustable tension under the pod-loc, then the pod-loc will add even more tension, but it's "loc" not "lock" meaning it can still be loosened if you try. Think of the legs of a bipod like a wrench, the longer the wrench, the more leverage..... see where we are going?

All I know is the CAL gen2 is perfection sir... simple damn perfection.

Ok, OP just made me aware of the original question... My apologies for having my head up my butt.

To be clear, the Atlas Pan and Cant was never designed to LOCK. It was designed to have tension that was adjustable for both Pan and Cant for dynamic positioning to move, to engage a single target or to engage multiple and/or moving targets. The Atlas is not a rigid, shot after shot bipod. So yes, when the Tension Knob is tightened to the tightest position, it will loosen when the mount is rotated to the right as the mechanics of the Atlas are going to "loosen to move" because you are moving POA to the right, not "fixed position" can't move. We can go into body positioning, on and on but bottom line, Atlas was designed to adjust into a shootable position in the field.

The Harris bipod, the Gold Standard and very shootable bipod that's under 100.00 is a rigid bipod, add the Cant feature and now it too will loosen. No excuse, just a fact.

The Atlas CAL is a Cant only bipod that without the Pan feature is not as adjustable into a position as the other Atlas bipods but delivers what Harris shooters are use to, Cant only, but without what some don't like by adding the patented leg positions and intentional "Hold what you move" leg movements. This bipod also has adjustable tension under the pod-loc, then the pod-loc will add even more tension, but it's "loc" not "lock" meaning it can still be loosened if you try. Think of the legs of a bipod like a wrench, the longer the wrench, the more leverage..... see where we are going?

Good Point Kasey! The new CAL bipod is really the solution if you don't need to that dynamic pan/movement. I've been shooting with ours (just got one in!) and its' amazing. The stance is wider, the feet don't roll and it's rock solid. Absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
    Reactions: S12A
    I had a chance to check out the tension adjuster from Victor Co at SHOT. It is beautifully machined and lines up perfectly with the tension knob on the Atlas. I'm definitely going to get one.

think of the legs of a bipod like a wrench, the longer the wrench, the more leverage..... see where we are going?

Thanks man, that helps, a lot. I'm 6'6" 340 and use my Atlas PSR Tall bipod with 3 notches out, often along with the metal spikes. With your quote above in mind, my usage of the bipod is likely exacerbating the condition.

Resized_20190104_094403_01.jpeg

All I know is the CAL gen2 is perfection sir... simple damn perfection.

Wow! While we strive for perfection, rare do I feel it's been achieved! I do appreciate that you like it, it's pretty sexy, so low profile...just over an inch off the rail.
    Good Point Kasey! The new CAL bipod is really the solution if you don't need to that dynamic pan/movement. I've been shooting with ours (just got one in!) and its' amazing. The stance is wider, the feet don't roll and it's rock solid. Absolutely perfect.

Thank you sir! The Atlas CAL bipods is a solid consideration for anyone wanting a no-pan bipod for any price. (It's funny that I read no bipod under 300.00 was worth shooting...I'm glad all of our bipods represent true value with zero ego factored in.) Will the CAL eliminate the Pan and Cant Atlas bipods? no. I talked to several SOF guys at SHOT that literally stated they "love the Atlas" talking about the PSR (BT46-LW17) they uses them a ton and fully understand the "loose" tension for dynamic shooting. People being people.

Thanks man, that helps, a lot. I'm 6'6" 340 and use my Atlas PSR Tall bipod with 3 notches out, often along with the metal spikes. With your quote above in mind, my usage of the bipod is likely exacerbating the condition.

Here is a fact, I've seen a 130# woman , that was a novice shooter, out shoot a 240# man (me!!) on same rifle. I have to conclude it's the human, not the machine.... the memory still stings.

Mine is new so (purchased used on here, but told it had little use), it will probably loosen up after some use, but I have the opposite problem. Even at the loosest setting of the tension knob, I have a hard time getting the rifle to pan without the legs skipping and turning the whole bipod. I Don't know the intended range of the tension knob, but mine doesn't even move 1/4 turn.

Mine is new so (purchased used on here, but told it had little use), it will probably loosen up after some use, but I have the opposite problem. Even at the loosest setting of the tension knob, I have a hard time getting the rifle to pan without the legs skipping and turning the whole bipod. I Don't know the intended range of the tension knob, but mine doesn't even move 1/4 turn.

When looking at the knob, from the bottom, the normal right tightens it, left loosens it and the knob should rotate about 270 degrees or 3/4 rotation. Using your hands only, go ahead and crank hard to left on it and see if it "breaks free" (what we are suppose to do here). If you dont get it to move, contact me.

Reactions: ebnash

Michael,

Agree the CAL 2 is perfection if you don't need the pan feature. Still like my PSR for field type matches where terrain, vegetation, etc. is more varied. When will the 5 lug version be available? I can see adding this to my kit for sure. Appreciate two great companies working together on our behalf.

Michael,

Agree the CAL 2 is perfection if you don't need the pan feature. Still like my PSR for field type matches where terrain, vegetation, etc. is more varied. When will the 5 lug version be available? I can see adding this to my kit for sure. Appreciate two great companies working together on our behalf.

We should start seeing them in about 3-4 weeks

As a big fan of the titan, I got the atlas tension wrench,and it works great.
    Also typical fast shipping and great service that Victor co. Is known for.
    Thanks

Hello Gents,

<a href="">

I keep checking the website but no updates. When will the five sided ones become available?

Guess I'm a dick but that wrench should be included with a $320 bipod purchase. Should be sent free to previous owners. Jmo

Guess I'm a dick but that wrench should be included with a $320 bipod purchase. Should be sent free to previous owners. Jmo

Funny stuff. it is a tension wheel not a lock wheel. Answer me this, what good is the Pan and Cant feature if it is locked and can't move? Please understand the Atlas PSR and V8 models were not made for shooting static targets but rather dynamic targets. You shoot any .308 sized centerfire, something will move and you will need to adjust back to desired sight picture. What am I missing?

Is it only held in place by friction?

Yes, friction only. The Tension Wheel allows more or less tension. It would seem there's an idea that you are to aquire the sight picture then somehow LOCK everything in place, without disrupting the sight picture.... then make the shot.... OR the bipod should someghow, allow movement to aquire the sight picture but then somehow, be tight enough to not move???

Seriously, I simply dont get it. My style, is to get the best body position possible, aquire the target and work the trigger. It is the same when shooting off a bean bag, off a bipod, off a limb or out of a window, no matter what the support is, my focus is target and trigger. But I don't shoot much so I probably need to learn.

And the Atlas CAL does not have PAN, it is Cant And Loc it has a Pod-loc to "Loc" it. But again, tighten the Pod-Loc up tight and you can still force movement.

Thinking back to when the Atlas arrived on scene everybody complained the Harris was hard to load and too rigid.

Now the complaint is the atlas moves. That’s the problem it solved. Go figure.

I’ve run Atlas’s since the V7 came out. Kasey recently “converted” my V7 to a CAL. So I have both a PSR and a CAL. For the field and odd obstacles the PSR is the right choice. If you’re mostly shooting prone and from the bench then the CAL offers no pan feature and has KMW pod loc to lock the cant down pretty tight.

Besides having a quality product B&T has customer service that’s second to none.

The only complaint I have is that Kasey doesn’t offer a mount for the atlas that interfaces with both arca and picatinny rails. Looks like I’ll have go to RRS for those.

Funny stuff. it is a tension wheel not a lock wheel. Answer me this, what good is the Pan and Cant feature if it is locked and can't move? Please understand the Atlas PSR and V8 models were not made for shooting static targets but rather dynamic targets. You shoot any .308 sized centerfire, something will move and you will need to adjust back to desired sight picture. What am I missing?

Yes, friction only. The Tension Wheel allows more or less tension. It would seem there's an idea that you are to aquire the sight picture then somehow LOCK everything in place, without disrupting the sight picture.... then make the shot.... OR the bipod should someghow, allow movement to aquire the sight picture but then somehow, be tight enough to not move???

Seriously, I simply dont get it. My style, is to get the best body position possible, aquire the target and work the trigger. It is the same when shooting off a bean bag, off a bipod, off a limb or out of a window, no matter what the support is, my focus is target and trigger. But I don't shoot much so I probably need to learn.

And the Atlas CAL does not have PAN, it is Cant And Loc it has a Pod-loc to "Loc" it. But again, tighten the Pod-Loc up tight and you can still force movement.
    Makes sense thanks for the explanation. Haven't used that one much since I bought it.

I may have missed it above, but what keeps it attached to the tension knob? Or is it not supposed to stay attached?
    Thanks
    Not supposed to stay attached. It's a wrench you use it, you put it back in the bag, pouch, pocket, or let it dangle from your chassis with paracord whatever your preference is. If you got one of the original prototypes in gold I guess you could put it on a gold chain around your neck a la rapper/gangsta style and sport it as PRS bling LOL.

Thanks. That was my original impression based on it having the name “Wrench” and not “Lever”. But the last pic posted by the maker had me wondering if it was made to stay put.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    Haha sorry guys, I def see how that could look like a lever. Yes as SonicB pointed out it's a wrench, a separate tool that goes in your pack. And keep in mind when you tighten it up, it stays tight for a while. It is really changes the bipod in the best way possible.

As Kasey said, it changes the Atlas PSR from its original intent of being for fluid, moving targets, hence the cant and pan, to static, fixed for non moving targets and benchrest type shooting . Not that the Atlas wasn't capable of doing that anyway but providing just that bit more lock-up in shorter time that might help you get to a completely static platform faster so you can get that purchase on your target, engage loosen again and be back in the game for a mover if you want, or if it is required by the set up. Michael just gave the Atlas even more of an edge. Two great companies working hand in hand to innovate and provide more options for the shooter- what's not to like?

Hey Gang-

The El Chapo GOLD Atlas Tension Wrenches are in stock and ready to go. These are beautifully machined and finished. Absolute work of art and keeps your Atlas tight.

ATLAS_TENSION_WRENCH_GOLD by michaelvictor6, on Flickr

ATLAS_TENSION_WRENCH_GOLD_BIPOD by michaelvictor6, on Flickr
    LOL, I love my Atlas Tension Wrench Michael but I'll hold off on the 'El Chapo' version until I'll get some 24 carat hubcaps, gold fixtures, or develop a hankerin' for rap, or mariachi music and then I'll wear it proudly around my neck on a 2 lbs. chain. As for the Atlas Tension Wrench itself it has my full endorsement; carry it to the range every time, use it, love it - two thumbs up!

Reactions: Victor Co Heather