• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Atlas Shrugged Movies

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Anyone else find it disappointing that the cast of the Atlas Shrugged movie series change with each movie?

Three different actors playing Dagny, Hank and Francisco, as well as many others all in the course of two years?

Taylor Schilling was definitely the best Dagny.

That didn't bug me nearly as much as their stupid re-write of the plane crash which then negated a great lesson in capitalism that was in the book.

Reactions: BLEE and UKDslayer
    I was disappointed that the story didn't start from the beginning.
    It missed all of the reasons why Atlas actually shrugged

Reactions: BLEE
    In my opinion it's not a book that can be done properly in a movie, it's just not written for that.
    Way too much dialogue and slow character interaction that doesn't work for a movie or trilogy type thing.

What it needs is like one of those long form Japanese Anime treatments where you have like 100+ episodes

Reactions: 91Eunozs and lash
    In my opinion it's not a book that can be done properly in a movie, it's just not written for that.
    Way too much dialogue and slow character interaction that doesn't work for a movie or trilogy type thing.

What it needs is like one of those long form Japanese Anime treatments where you have like 100+ episodes
    I would watch that. Not anime, but a real human series.

I tried reading the book, as I'd always heard it was excellent. I couldn't make it two chapters, as I was bored to tears.

I don't see what all the hype was about.

I tried listening to the audiobook via Spotify but you have to pay for it and all it says is you can’t pay via the app.

Found Anthem and am listening to that now.

I tried reading the book, as I'd always heard it was excellent. I couldn't make it two chapters, as I was bored to tears.

Try Cliff notes.

Having never read the books I thought the movies were decent. I didn't care for the characters changing in every movie but it was okay. Guess I'm going to have to read it now.

Having never read the books I thought the movies were decent. I didn't care for the characters changing in every movie but it was okay. Guess I'm going to have to read it now.

The movies are entertaining but a fair bit removed from the actual book.

The book itself makes very important points that can help your entire life.
    Probably the biggest thing it is clearly lays out how like near everybody uses Guilt, Shame or Fear to control you and if you refuse to feel Guilt or Shame and face down Fear, people lose their control over you.

As always however if you get all dogmatic about it and such, in application it will fail just like any hardline dogma.

The book is good, but it can be a little slogging at times. Most books are about 300 pages. This one does character development for 300 pages and then the story starts, but the first part lays down the foundation for the whole book. Sirh is correct, it is exactly what is happening in our country right now.

Took me a couple tries to get into it when I first read it right out of high school…. Get past the first couple hundred pages and you won’t be able to put it down.

That book shaped my world view tremendously in my 20s-early 30s. Have changed a bit since kids, etc. but the underlying ideas still shape my ideas of society.

Reactions: JoshPutman
    For folks who never read it, I often suggest they start with The Fountainhead which is a much easier, shorter read and lays the groundwork for the ideas put out in Atlas Shrugged.

Then for fun if you want to see a quick dystopian novel of where these "green earth worshipers" are planing on taking us in the near future, have a quick read of the short novel Anthem.
    Or if you like watch this very good animated graphic novel of it: