• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Atlas Shrugged.....the movie

Re: Atlas Shrugged.....the movie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gah, Ayn Rand is....well not my cuppa. </div></div>

In the world we live in today Atlast Shrugged should be a must-read. The parallels should be obvious.

Oh I've read AS and the Fountainhead, and you're right. But I can only take so much Rand, none voluntary.

AS was a good book which would have been much better if it had been half the length. Good message, flawed delivery. Rand/rant, redundant, redundant, redundant. After awhile, you get tired of be rapped over the head with the same pedantic rap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AS was a good book which would have been much better if it had been half the length. Good message, flawed delivery. Rand/rant, redundant, redundant, redundant. After awhile, you get tired of be rapped over the head with the same pedantic rap. </div></div>

I agree. Message=good but man could it have been condensed and focus less on "sexual liberation".

Galt's speech could have been MUCH shorter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AS was a good book which would have been much better if it had been half the length. Good message, flawed delivery. Rand/rant, redundant, redundant, redundant. After awhile, you get tired of be rapped over the head with the same pedantic rap. </div></div>

+100

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't get why so many people worship her books.

The two leads seem a bit on the young side, though Hollywierd is good at aging people. They have history together on "Mercy".

In fact the whole cast seems about 15 years younger than I would place for the bulk of the plot of the book.

We'll see how it goes.

I read the book at a time in my life when I was traveling by plane a lot and it was shortly after 9/11, so I had lots of time to read in the airports and on planes. Didn't seem overly long to me, but I finished it pretty quick, I'll never have that much time just to read until my kids are of college.

As for the book, I loved it, looking forward to the movie and I just hope they do it justice.

I read AS and went on to several more Rand books; then reread AS anotehr few times over the years. The book really grabbed me when I was younger and more succeptible to idealistic viewpoints.

These days, I tend more toward Heinlein's works. Bradbury was always too flaky for me, Clark too liberal, and Asimov had just the right mix of a lot of concepts.

Greg

While AS is suppose to Rand's seminal work, I prefer the Fountainhead, as Rand seemed overly strident and verbose in AS for my taste.

I would like to see such a movie, as anyone who claims to understand Any Rand is a liar.
laugh.gif

I think Nathaniel Branden might have come close. His book <span style="font-style: italic">My Years with Ayn Rand</span> was an interesting look at her by a man who was her lover as well as a psychologist of sorts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...a man who was her lover as well as a psychologist of sorts. </div></div>My point exactly: that means there's absolutely no way he understood her!
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Galt's speech could have been MUCH shorter. [/quote]

Agreed, Galt's apeech was a bit much. However, Rand's Philosophy of Objectivism was formed through forced subjugation to Bolshevism.

...and therein lies her strangeness. She become somewhat obsessively antagonistic toward collectivism.

Greg

Looks like I am going to have to re-read a great novel over the holidays...Ayn Rand's work has always been impressive to me...of course I didn't have four children when I was really into her either LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and therein lies her strangeness. She become somewhat obsessively antagonistic toward collectivism.

Greg </div></div>

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out her weird fascination with fingers.

The great thing about her work is that by reading/quoting/referencing it you can convince yourself you are part of the important 5%. Reminds me very much of some of the art reviews run in the <span style="font-style: italic">Banner</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The great thing about her work is that by reading/quoting/referencing it you can convince yourself you are part of the important 5%. </div></div>

So glad I'm not a looter.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get why so many people worship her books. </div></div>
Read Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

I have not read, Atlas Shrugged, since the first two years of the 1st Clinton administration but I thought it was amazingly prescient at the time.
The criticisms offered regarding style, digression and length are commonplace.
Her work is valuable because she attempts to present an integrated view of values/morality, economics, law, autonomy and societal organization.
I don't agree with each conclusion but her work demonstrates that all law and policy is based on a value system, or more accurately, a values hierarchy.
Either the individual or the state is preeminent.
She believed it should be the individual, as did our country's founders, although arriving at the same conclusion for different reasons.

I agree that it's a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> strangeness, but there are degrees...

In a way, she was strange enough that in terms of 'around the bend', from where she was, she probably couldn't see here from there

Going along with the new Atlas Shrugged movie...surely some of you have seen The Fountainhead movie...I thought that it was well done. Hopefully, this one will not be a disappointment.

I wonder if I liked this stuff so much because it was a great escape from the freezing cold of South Korea...