• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas this, Harris that, but what about...

Chetly78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2017
Livermore, CA
Accu-Tac or Leapers? After listening to Franks podcast about bipods that are to short along with not being able to be tightened enough to not allow cant, i started looking into alternatives. I have a couple of Harris bipods that I use so simple answer is the podlock, but that doesn't help with the height issue. I wanted to look into different alternatives for my new 6.5 creedmoor purchase. Does anyone have any experience with either Accu-Tac or Leapers? Good, bad or indifferent?

I have the Accu-Tac FC-10 QD F-Class Bipod which I use on my Tikka. I picked this specific bipod since I shoot primarily from the bench. It’s very sturdy. The legs are notched for the height adjustment. The bipod swivel can be adjusted for tension. If you shoot from the bench or prone, I would recommend this, very stable and helped me get more consistent groups.

Or save money (assuming you like your Harris) and use your Harris + PASS leg adapters + Atlas style leg extentions and bam, you’ve got longer legs.

Reactions: Diver160651
Modular Evolution Evopod. Either that or just stick with the Harris S-LM with podloc and KRG direct Arca adapters. Those are the only 2 I use anymore.

You can get any bipod, pimp it out with accessories that take a lot of time to change out and still be in the $400 plus range pretty easy and STILL not have pan, quick detach, spike feet or usable cant, or just get the Ckye-pod as mentioned. Its a very big step above whats currently available.

I keep posting this pic because it really doesn't do it justice.

2018 CP REAR.jpg

Good luck! Most of us have used a harris/atlas a lot... both are 100% better than both accu or the leepers. I cant believe some people buy bipods actually advertising 2-3 inches of adjustment.

My second choice of actually a good usable bipod is the Sinclair Tactical bipod. very useful as well.

Regards,
DT

I don't understand how so many of you guys (who have a Harris) are shooting off S-BRMs; they are useless for anything but shooting off a bench or at a downward angle on anything shorter than the tallest setting. The S-LM is where its at

Ditto D_Tros the Ckye-pod is very versatile and well made. I still have 2 Harris and a GGG but the Ckye-pod just works not cheap but it works!
H

I’ve used the 9-13 if shooting uphill is involved but in my flat corner of the hood the 6-9 stuff works fine.

Reactions: showlow50
I’ve used the 9-13 if shooting uphill is involved but in my flat corner of the hood the 6-9 stuff works fine.
I'd have to agree with @Thunderhorse, the S-LM is where it's at. Even if you live in the flatlands, that 6-9" even fully extended isn't getting you into a "proper" prone position unless you are a fairly tiny person. Not saying you can't just lay on top of the gun and be accurate with the 6-9", I've done it plenty. I'd urge you to try the S-LM and get up on your elbows with your head straight and see how you like it. Or, if nothing else, it's just something to think about.

Reactions: BravoSierra
First I've heard of people not finding the Harris 6-9 tall enough, but I can understand if you've got a gut. I used the Accu-tac for a while and didn't like it. It is HUGE when stowed and hangs down way too far, seems like a poor design on the pivot point as they definitely could have kept it in closer to the rifle. Also you end up using the legs forward at 45 degrees much of the time to get the bipod low enough and because of the way the legs pull out to adjust, I've had recoil (even on a 6.5) collapse the legs when shooting from odd positions.
-Dan

I have been a fan of the ATLAS bipods since I took up precision shooting and when the PRS model came around, I felt that the design is pretty much perfect. But I have used the Harris 6-9 as well and in all honesty, I cant see any difference on the results down range. The Harris is a lot cheaper and faster to deploy. The ATLAS PRS is superior in fit, finish and versatility.

You can get any bipod, pimp it out with accessories that take a lot of time to change out and still be in the $400 plus range pretty easy and STILL not have pan, quick detach, spike feet or usable cant, or just get the Ckye-pod as mentioned. Its a very big step above whats currently available.
It really seems nice, I just cannot bring myself to pay $445 plus shipping plus whatever it would cost to put a rail on the bottom of my Tikka ($50?). There is no way I would be getting anywhere near $400 with a Harris. $100 for the bipod and $25 for the lever. Done. You do get more with the Ckye, but it does not seem to me to be worth the roughly $370 extra. I haven't ever tried one, so maybe my opinion would be changed. But I don't want to put out that much money to find out.

It may not be quite as nice a model as these:

images

...but you probably DID come with a bipod.

:)

Reactions: cro789
I would buy a Ckye-pod if the price were lower. That's my only problem with it. That's probably the only gripe anybody has.

Same. I have a Harris, thinking of getting an Atlas, and my wife about had a fit when I told her the price of the Atlas. She calmed down a tiny bit when I told her I could get a blemished one cheaper, but she is still gonna take some convincing before I can get it. I would have to plan my own funeral if I tried to get the Ckye-pod.

I keep posting this pic because it really doesn't do it justice.

View attachment 6916240

Good luck! Most of us have used a harris/atlas a lot... both are 100% better than both accu or the leepers. I cant believe some people buy bipods actually advertising 2-3 inches of adjustment.

My second choice of actually a good usable bipod is the Sinclair Tactical bipod. very useful as well.

Regards,
DT
I am going to check out cyke now, thanks

I don't understand how so many of you guys (who have a Harris) are shooting off S-BRMs; they are useless for anything but shooting off a bench or at a downward angle on anything shorter than the tallest setting. The S-LM is where its at

Maybe for you but been using the 6-9" for 15 years in matches without issue shooting in many positions from prone to shooting off obstacles to up and down hill and it's done fine. I only usually have them on the second notch out. If you need a 9-13" that's fine but there is a reason the 6-9" is the most popular with match shooters.

KbM7tnq.jpg

sotBmVA.jpg

WoC7W4W.jpg

Maybe for you but been using the 6-9" for 15 years in matches without issue shooting in many positions from prone to shooting off obstacles to up and down hill and it's done fine. I only usually have them on the second notch out. If you need a 9-13" that's fine but there is a reason the 6-9" is the most popular with match shooters.

KbM7tnq.jpg

sotBmVA.jpg

WoC7W4W.jpg

I used the 6-9" S-BRM for match shooting for a long time. I made it work just fine. A couple of years ago it was pointed out to me that I wasn't in good prone form, and found that I needed the 6-9" fully extended to get there. I switched to the S-LM as my "main" bipod at that point (I carried the 6-9, 9-13, 13.5-27 in my pack). Not long after that I started using the Modular Evolution Evopod, their standard height legs are 10-14" and I find this height is about perfect for most people to get in good position. Now I just have 1 bipod and a pair of short, and long carbon fiber legs in the pack to carry.

Maybe I'm one of those with poor prone form, but I always used my Harris and Atlas at the lowest setting.

I think this is very body dependent. Not just size/gut, but neck length and flexibility, plus general mobility. I'm small and pretty mobile still, and I find a harris or Atlas on a low setting to be very comfortable for long stretches. I also find that the taller bipod positions are less stable for me, and require a much bigger rear bag. You can't say a low position is incorrect, if all the fundamentals are being executed correctly. Low or high on the bipod is not, strictly speaking, a fundamental of shooting.

After an hour or two behind the gun, I'm ready to switch positions no matter what position I'm in. Longest i've ever laid prone behind the gun is about 4 hours. Not that much fun, but you do what you have to to get the shot.

Reactions: britneymadz
Bipod height is definitely body dependent. That said I am not a small guy and have no problem with the 6-9" and neither do most. When we teach I usually end up up raising people's bipods more than lower them as they are always told you have to be as low as possible to be accurate. You need to be comfortable and be able to do the fundamentals. Just found it funny when the 6-9" bipod is called "useless" when they are used very heavily by people.

At 5'11" and 155 lbs, I find that the Harris 6-9" is uncomfortably tall on the lowest setting. My short torso and long legs mean that I need a booster seat to get comfortable behind many range benches (I use the supplied sand bags to sit on at my local range). And, I feel that by the time I've got the rifle leveled out (regardless of position) my rear bag is so tall as to be unstable.

I shot one stage recently where the prone platform had a mostly imperceptible incline toward the target, and the target was not insignificantly downhill from the platform. The "too tall" bipod and the "too short" rear bag meant the rear of the rifle was unsupported for the stage. I dropped more points that I think I would have if I had ditched the bipod and shot off my modular pump pillow.

I shot another stage from a concrete bench and the bipod was sufficiently tall that I could not get a good sight picture while sitting normally in the chair. Again, ditching the bipod in favor of the bag would have resolved the issue. 300 yards at prairie dogs with 0 wind should have been free points. I proved that not to be the case.

I don't think I've ever shot from the bipod with the legs extended, and have long wanted a 3-6" bipod. Except for a significant up angle shot, I cannot imagine ever extending the legs to full extension and being comfortable.

All of the above is just to say that what works for one may not work for another. I'm not blaming the bipod for my poor shooting, just my employment of it.

If you see a guy sitting on 2 sandcastle bags to see through his scope, stop and say hi... ?

First I've heard of people not finding the Harris 6-9 tall enough, but I can understand if you've got a gut.

I'm 5'8" 165 lbs. When prone I use it at the 9" setting but any lower and I'd be rolling it up onto my shoulder like Frank talks about in the podcast when he's going over good prone form. Definitely not because I have a gut though.

I do shoot off bags on a bench because the S-LM is too tall at the shortest setting

Accu-Tac or Leapers? After listening to Franks podcast about bipods that are to short along with not being able to be tightened enough to not allow cant, i started looking into alternatives. I have a couple of Harris bipods that I use so simple answer is the podlock, but that doesn't help with the height issue. I wanted to look into different alternatives for my new 6.5 creedmoor purchase. Does anyone have any experience with either Accu-Tac or Leapers? Good, bad or indifferent?

Leapers? Is this a troll post?

I use ATLAS and don't have a lot of complaints.

However, Frank talks a lot about the Revolution bipod from Elite Iron.. It is expensive but it looks like one of the most versatile bipods out there.